240Z, 260Z, 280Z Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.

maybe im just a dork, but help me please

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 08:21 PM

Question maybe im just a dork, but help me please

im putting new speakers in my 77 280, and have a quick question. How do you remove the panels over them? it looks like there are metal rivots holding them on, they arn't screws. Are they just plastic tabs that i can pull off, or is there another way to get them. I just don't want to break anything.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:59 AM

the little plastic rivets you are talking about are actually pretty easy to remove. just take a small size allen wrench and push the little cylindrical piece out of the middle of the clip (you can see the circle on top of it) once that is out just pull the plastic "rivet" out and collect your plastic cylinders... sorry i don't have pics, i'm at work
Old 10-13-2004, 04:01 PM

thanks for your help, but when i did that, the little center piece fell back into the car. It looks to be between the outer and inner metal pieces of the car. Is there a way to get them? I only did it on one side, is there a way to catch the pieces without them falling down into the car?
Old 10-14-2004, 09:33 AM

unfortunately not that i know of. someone on classiczcars.com (beandip) recommended putting pantyhose over a shopvac and just sucking the little buggers out of there...
Old 10-23-2004, 12:17 PM
User Friendly

I bought new clips from Victoria British, since they're very inexpensive. Motorsport Auto has them also. Oh, and sometimes you can find them at Lowe's, hidden in pull-out drawer bins in the nuts/bolts/screws aisle.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:56 AM

what makes you say the guy at the audio shop doesnt know what he is talking about?

the z car never ever ever came with front speakers. any holes you see in your doors, center console, or anywhere other than in the far back of the car, on the sides (both speakers facing each other across the car) are "kustom", meaning someone got out a hacksaw and spent some time putting them there for you at all. i am of course assuming you have a 2 seater, if its a two plus two im as clueless as you.. never did like those things. sports cars have two seats. anyhow, as small as the car is, two six by nines in the back (especially nice ones, angled so that they point along the roofline to take advantage of the GREAT acoustics of the car) should be ample sound. its a small car.. if you really need something up front, just get some EMI tweeters from infinity.. they cost, but they handle from midrange all the way up to like 21,000 hz (i believe) and the quality blows ANYTHING else on the market out of the water. i just remember listening to lucy in the sky with diamonds in my buddys car once with the volume at like seventy.... and i havent heard much since. :- ) i like treble.