240Z, 260Z, 280Z Motor Swaps (non-V8) L28ET RB SR KA VG VQ 2JZ etc....

EFI and ignition setup L28et Swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 01:10 PM
w0rld's l0ngest m0t0rswap

EFI and ignition setup L28et Swap

Okay well my problem is unique so before you referr me to the search function and make me read all the swap threads IVE ALREADY READ THEM. And this question is on Hyrbridz but I figured I would consult the zdriver because you guys are way more helpful than them. Okay here's the problem, I'm actually giving the link to the hybridz page becuase my question is in the context of a sticky on the site and it wouldn't make that much sense for me to just re-ask the question without the quotations, so I hope i'm not breaking any thread rules or thread-jacking or copywrite violation or trademark infringement but here goes...

Help me!!
Old 12-27-2008, 08:23 PM
The Good Twin

Ick... your post is a bloody mess. I actually started my S30 L28ET swap today. Doesn't look all that difficult at the moment. Though all I am doing is swapping the EFI harnesses (then going w/ a Z31T ecu). Looks like you yanked more than that???
Old 12-27-2008, 09:59 PM
The Good Twin

So I re-read your post on hybridz... What year L28ET harness do you have? As for your questions: The white plugs in this pic go to the vacuum actuators for the AAC / EGR, it's also got the AFM wiring. The wires for the ignitor / coil should either be farther down, or on a diff branch of the harness wiring.

As for this pic I can't even tell what part of the harness it is (meaning you need to take better pics):

I have to admit, all the S30 Turbo swap guides suck. I will just lay the 280z EFI harness next to the L28ET harness and compare with both Haynes manuals / schematics open. Maybe I'll do a write up for ZDriver...
Old 12-28-2008, 07:56 PM
Taste My Rainbow

the ignitor wires are part of the tach wires as well so they will have a T fitting that attaches to the ignitor on the coil. I have a spare harness that needs some work But i'll get pics of it if you want. Heck I'm not even using that egr wires or knock sensors and have no problem with that so far...
Old 12-28-2008, 10:00 PM
Über User

your nuts.... my S30 turbo swap write up from zcars.com is the ****! from wannabrez or w/e his name is and theres some nice added diagrams for different year harnesses... honestly you just gotta study the write-ups for a week straight till you understand them perfectly then label your turbo harness for the necessary connections and then install... its more thought than actual work
Old 12-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Mr. Fancy Connectors

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
your nuts.... my S30 turbo swap write up from zcars.com is the ****! from wannabrez or w/e his name is and theres some nice added diagrams for different year harnesses... honestly you just gotta study the write-ups for a week straight till you understand them perfectly then label your turbo harness for the necessary connections and then install... its more thought than actual work

x2........
Old 12-29-2008, 02:14 PM
The Good Twin

your nuts.... my S30 turbo swap write up from zcars.com is the ****! from wannabrez or w/e his name is and theres some nice added diagrams for different year harnesses...
I hope you aren't talking about this one... http://www.zcar.com/forums/read/1/55...682#msg-557682

Not a very comprehensive write-up (no offense wannaBREz). This is about the only useful item:

Old 12-29-2008, 04:17 PM
Über User

thats the one and its amazing! best turbo swap write-up out there dude, with that and a wiring diagram of your year harness you can figure it out. its only a few grounds some constant powers a switched power and a start signal and thats it, about 5 or so wires to hook up, didnt know you were so noob lol. if you cant do the wiring with that write-up and a diagram then you shouldnt be doing an ecu wiring lol.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:30 PM
Mr. Fancy Connectors

hell if i can do it so can you. Don`t forget the start signal wire.

hehe I forgot to hook up two spark plug wires on the firebird today. took em loose when I had the valve covers off for clearance and forgot em. Couldn`t figure why it was running so rough. Thats the testament of my knowledge.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:45 PM
The Good Twin

didnt know you were so noob lol. if you cant do the wiring with that write-up and a diagram then you shouldnt be doing an ecu wiring lol.
Indeed... I'm a n00b.

All the write-ups I've seen are full of fluff...

"here's this... it's a RELAY!" ... "You'll need that later!" ... "Don't cut that wire!"

How about a write-up cutting straight to the point: "connect this wire to this wire" or "cut and splice here" not: "this is a wiring harness".

Thus the reason I said this:

Originally Posted by NismoPick
I will just lay the 280z EFI harness next to the L28ET harness and compare with both Haynes manuals / schematics open. Maybe I'll do a write up for ZDriver...
I'm interested in Skittle's pics too... The more info the better. Just cut the fluff already!!!
Old 12-29-2008, 11:58 PM
Über User

it does say that in so many words and thats why the diagram is included, unfortunately it CANT be that straight forward because the harness' changed over the years as far as wire function relative to location.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:49 AM
The Good Twin

^^^ ah... very good point.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:15 PM

At least yall didn't run into the problem i did when i swapped mine over i used that guide, car wouldn't crank. traced wires, car still wouldn't crank, swapped some wires thinkin i messed something up, still wouldn't crank, finally i just got pissed and walked over to my friends 280 that was waiting for its motor to be put in and stole his ignitor and installed it on my car and bam crunk right up... i hate when the obvious is the problem and you think its much more complicated
Old 12-31-2008, 07:34 PM

This is really simple if you know the basics and do a little home work.

Last edited by kash; 12-31-2008 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Über User

lol ^^^^ i like how thats the first and only post just so he could call you guys noobs haha but yeah he just reitterated what i said, really study and figure out how it all works what needs power from where and why and how that plays into the system, lay out a diagram of the EFI harness for your year scotch tape a sharpie and your harness and label the necessary solder points on it, then install it into your car. its how i did it and it doesnt take long at all, just alot of knowledge gathering and confidence
Old 01-06-2009, 09:27 PM

roger that... Sorry about the pictures I don't have a camera anymore and I had to take these with my macbook. I'm slowly starting to understand by reading some schematics and more information on the electronic systems I will take another crack at it tonight since I got a '76 fuel pump and gotta hook that up. I'm going to DEFINATELY write a write-up for the '83 harness because some poor bloke out there is going to be in the same situation as me and end up killing himself instead; or worse, selling his Z. But thanks for that diagram again, Nismo I took another look at it, and totally forgot about it and now that I've seen it again six months later I kind of actually understand it!! I will get back as to what the word is in a couple of days since time is hard to come by as my family is moving...
Old 01-10-2009, 12:53 AM

ZOMG I did it!!
Okay so FINALLY after BILLIONS of hours of those pyramid schematics I was finally able to rig up a 9v, some 18gauge hanger wire/electrical tape, and a voltometer and manually tested the wires. Using Nismo's schematics he directed me to I found a long lost plug buried beneath a plethora of electrical tape!!! THE MISSING 8 PRONG PLUG!! It had been spliced and already made ready!! So now tomorrow I am going to run to an auto shop to pick up a few yards of wire so I can finish what is left to do manually. The swap guides are trash when you're doing an '83 they're actually more confusing than they are helpful...BUT I DID IT!!! ZOMG! I found the Fuel relay wires, fuel pump wires, ignition relay, it was like an easter egg hunt with the voltometer!! Now all i have left to do is figure out wtf goes on my manifold, put in the radiator/intercooler, fluids and test it out! This will hopefully happen this coming week seeing as I go to school soon and this is the last I will be able to see my baby until Summer!! OH I"M SO EXCITED but i have TONs more to do I feel considering the troubleshooting, etc...Just 2 questions for me to figure out...

There's a circular plug coming off my distributor but there's nowhere to plug it and it doesn't fit the plug I have on my ignition coil, which leads me to my 2nd question

what is the circular plug on my ignition coil go to? I'm really tired right now but i'm not going to be able to sleep i'm way too stoked!! THANK YOU SO MUCH NISMO for pointing me to that diagram!!! (I think you did it on hybridz)
Old 01-10-2009, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by nismopick
i hope you aren't talking about this one... http://www.zcar.com/forums/read/1/55...682#msg-557682

not a very comprehensive write-up (no offense wannabrez). This is about the only useful item:

it was this one that saved my life!!!
Old 01-10-2009, 01:05 AM
Über User

fuel pump wires? you got a 260Z the fuel pump doesnt use the AFM micro switch you dont need to touch that wiring when the cars ignition is turned to on the fuel pump clicks. use my diagram i made for my 260Z its a simplified version that worked first try

Last edited by snwbrderphat540; 01-10-2009 at 01:09 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:41 AM
Mr. Fancy Connectors

Originally Posted by thetremendousti
ZOMG I did it!!
Okay so FINALLY after BILLIONS of hours of those pyramid schematics I was finally able to rig up a 9v, some 18gauge hanger wire/electrical tape, and a voltometer and manually tested the wires. Using Nismo's schematics he directed me to I found a long lost plug buried beneath a plethora of electrical tape!!! THE MISSING 8 PRONG PLUG!! It had been spliced and already made ready!! So now tomorrow I am going to run to an auto shop to pick up a few yards of wire so I can finish what is left to do manually. The swap guides are trash when you're doing an '83 they're actually more confusing than they are helpful...BUT I DID IT!!! ZOMG! I found the Fuel relay wires, fuel pump wires, ignition relay, it was like an easter egg hunt with the voltometer!! Now all i have left to do is figure out wtf goes on my manifold, put in the radiator/intercooler, fluids and test it out! This will hopefully happen this coming week seeing as I go to school soon and this is the last I will be able to see my baby until Summer!! OH I"M SO EXCITED but i have TONs more to do I feel considering the troubleshooting, etc...Just 2 questions for me to figure out...

There's a circular plug coming off my distributor but there's nowhere to plug it and it doesn't fit the plug I have on my ignition coil, which leads me to my 2nd question

what is the circular plug on my ignition coil go to? I'm really tired right now but i'm not going to be able to sleep i'm way too stoked!! THANK YOU SO MUCH NISMO for pointing me to that diagram!!! (I think you did it on hybridz)
I did an 83 with Snw schematic and the hybridz writeup. And it went smooth except I missed the start signal wire. That was 100% my fault though. Grats on figuring it out.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:29 AM
NisTuner

I guess I'll have to start reading through wiring diagrams and the swap guides relatively soon. At least once I find an S30 I'll be ready to go. THis is sorta why I want a 280Z vs. the 240/260z as it's set up for fuel injection. The tank, pump, lines, etc plus it would have the extra holes in the firewall and such for the wiring harness. When I do my swap it'll actually be very similar to Nismo's simply because I'll be swapping over my harness that was fit to the Z31 ECU. Although I can't imagine it's that much different than if you were using a 280ZXT ECU.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Über User

the only advantage a 260/240z has over the 280z is not worrying about the AFM switch wiring for the fuel pump relay and weight, otherwise the 280z is much better, strong components like diff and revised suspension already had an EFI harness in it so you can re-use the power signals and the hole is in the firewall and yes the fuel tank. the tank from a carb's s30 will work but the pump stops creating the proper fuel line pressure and the car will hit a fake rev limiter at about 5k rpm under WOT on load and boosting i noticed.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:29 AM

i acutally just got out of the shower washing the gasoline off my face/body. Tonight I swapped a 280z fuel pump in for the weird looking one that was in the 260z and I already wired everything before reading your revision snw, so I will see where it takes me. I bought some gauged wire (hot pink ;P) from radioshack and ran the following connections...

The pink ones I had to make myself and the Blue\Olivedrab\Red ones were the existing ones that I ran off of. (Yes that blue one coming off of plug 2 was just sitting there)

It looks confusing but it really isn't if you've done this and you take a look at it for 2 minutes its really quite easy to see what I did and what the boob of a previous owner did.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:06 AM
Über User

all looks to be in order though i think with the fuel pump unecessary wiring was done, but i also hope you remembered to make those ground, i added extra grounds to mine because the S30's didnt have the inhibitor switch so i grounded it, and i grounded the other two just for the hell of it seemed like a good idea to me based off the other write-up and no problems, but that black wire is a necessary ground and you didnt color anything over it, its the ECU ground so i hope you made that one at least
Old 02-04-2009, 11:40 PM
NisTuner

Any word on your swap Nismo? I've still got some time before I really get this going, but I'm planning to try and do it as quickly as possible once the snow and salt is gone. I have to agree with what Nismo said. wannabreZ's writeup is good and tells you what you need to know, but it's not like the Z31 ECU swap where it's a list of cut this wire and then connect to this wire. You've still gotta go and trace wires for constant, and switched.

Last edited by duowing; 02-04-2009 at 11:42 PM.

Quick Reply: EFI and ignition setup L28et Swap