240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

Cobra Z gets new billet rear control arms today

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 07:14 PM

Cobra Z gets new billet rear control arms today

these are from dave @arizona z car. i had his other rear control arms before. they were great but when i saw these aluminum ones i had to have them. he just came out with them!! love em!!!
Attached Thumbnails Cobra Z gets new billet rear control arms today-dsc06111.jpg   Cobra Z gets new billet rear control arms today-dsc06108.jpg   Cobra Z gets new billet rear control arms today-dsc06096.jpg  
Old 01-14-2008, 07:27 PM
Über User

real advatnage to them? and NICE! what did you do with the old ones?

also, is that his rear diff setup he sells to? how easy was that swap? and what diff did you use again?
Old 01-14-2008, 07:35 PM

i traded in the old ones as they were almost new.....lol he good like that!

that is daves entire rear set up that he sells. the diff is his as well(cover too) that is one of his limited slip diffs from a skyline out of japan 4:38lsd since i am running 315/35/17 tires on 11inch wide wheels
Old 01-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Über User

so he sells a direct bolt up skyline LSD conversion? driveshaft and CV's and all? how much does that setup run? i already know what the A arms run for and YEESH!!!
Old 01-14-2008, 07:52 PM

if you dont like the price of the billet lower arms you really wont like the price of the skyline limited slip diff set up.....lol
Old 01-14-2008, 08:02 PM
Über User

actually, i was thinking of the whole A arm and suspension setup per corner. the A arms them selfs arent actually that bad. lol. but still, i can tell thats just a nice CNC mapping and the machine cuts away, i bet one of those costs only 30 bucks in materials. lol. what a good bussiness....

and i still really like your setup. those are some fatty tires. any idea on the #'s that car is making? also, i never got to ask, what mods are done to the engine? i know its an L28 with a 4 barrel right? but what else? and have you taken it to any track? road race or 1/4 mile? just curious on how it performs cause that car is just done sooooo well in the suspension and body department. interior is all race and nice as well. im jealous
Old 01-14-2008, 09:48 PM

thanks, im glad you like the car. it turned out better than i had ever hoped.
it was my sons car........long story

as far as the engine. it is an 83 zx block bored 040 over
maxima head with large stainless steel valves
big cam shaft kit, MSD6AL , 4 barrel
11.5 compression and runs race fuel
runs out very fast .....only 700 miles on it so far since the build but ive driven it enough to be happy

275/40/17 frt 315/35/17 rear

15 position coil overs
adj camber plates all 4 corners
short steering knuckes
6 piston wilwoods frt
4 piston rear

basically, everything arizona z car offers is on this car.....lol
Old 01-14-2008, 09:58 PM
Über User

HOLY CRAP!!! how did you achieve that CR ??? and i remember the story. i saw the original thread.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:31 PM
eff good grammar

i am guessing diesel maxima head has something to do with it?
Old 01-15-2008, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by coyotegary
basically, everything arizona z car offers is on this car.....lol
Please pardon the thread jack, but I have been waiting to ask you about the 4 barrel intake conversion. I saw your write-up on the install (very nice, with pics, by the way), and I am curious your opinion on the performance and gas mileage properties of that setup vs. dual SU's and triple mikunis/webers? Do you mind sharing your thoughts? Are the vapor lock issues mitigated in that setup? I am guessing that in Arizona you would know. It can get up to 105 or 110 degrees in my area in the summer.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:57 PM

no problem with thread jacking...lol
i would be glad to tell you my thoughts on the 4 barrel set up.
and again, they are my thoughts and experiences. everyone has opinions so be prepared for the 4 barrel haters to chime in. thats a given.

i really enjoy the 4 barrel swap. i have done many to my personal z cars as well as customers z cars. no regrets from anyone.
the performance is great as a daily driver red light to red light and also at the track. i have done both and have no reservations of how well it runs. hot and cold starting is perfect with vaporlock a thing of the past. i also got 30.5 miles per gallon driving to california doing 80mph with a/c on.
i personally like to have my customers be able to adjust mixture and idle with a pocket screwdriver .not have to find someone to balance and synch them
with dual SU's or webers.
again , a personal choice as i am old school.
there are plenty of choices out there and plenty of faster engines out there.
i am not saying thsi is the best set up or the fastest set up. i am simply saying that for as easy of an install and ease of maintanance it is a very good option.
not everyone wants to be the fastest kid on the block with 15000 hp and 6 turbos with a lap top on the seat ready to adjust as you drive. if thats what they want , i say more power to them!
this is just a very basic , very simple , great running dependable option.
i hope that helps answer your questions
Old 01-15-2008, 05:07 PM
Stupid Hurricanes...

love your z and everything you have done...just you make others look bad
Old 01-15-2008, 05:09 PM
The Good Twin

So purrrrdy....
Old 01-15-2008, 05:13 PM
Über User

doesnt answer my question, HOW DID YOU GET THAT COMPRESSION RATIO!!!! lol. its insane. and how many other Z's do you have? id be interested in seeing a pic and description if they are even half teh glory of this Z.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:44 PM

milled high compression maxima head and 040 over flat tops with a huge cam...that all adds up to too much comp for pump fuel...lol

i have way too many Zcars...lol
you can go to desertzassociation.com members rides to see more of my Z cars scroll down in the members rides section about 7 people to coyotegary section.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:49 PM
Stupid Hurricanes...

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/c...der/index.html here play around till to you get it, he might have a diesel crank idk.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:52 PM
Über User

awesome. well if you get that car on the dyno post some numbers cause im surious to see what that motor is making for being an NA L6
Old 01-15-2008, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by coyotegary
this is just a very basic , very simple , great running dependable option. i hope that helps answer your questions
Gary, thanks. That is the feedback I was looking for. My car will be a "driver" not a "racer" (although it has all the suspension mods to make it one). I too am old school, and I like the SU's for nostalgic purposes, but I have to admit I am curious enough int eh 4bbl setup to give it a try. Gas mileage is actually a concern for me.

Thanks again.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:02 PM
Über User

i didnt know that was your car. your like the poster boy for arizona Zcar.... lol, do they give you like sick deals there? man, im jealous again.....

hook me up with some AZ zcar parts bro!!!!
Old 01-15-2008, 06:11 PM

i guess i just like daves qualty parts and i use them all on my z cars as well as customers z cars
Old 01-16-2008, 03:05 PM

I should have bought Dave's brake upgrade front & rear, but I got hung up on wanting a parking brake. If I had purchased from azcar I would have had the parts in a week and my car would have been done by the end of the summer. Since I sourced the parts elsewhere I ended up saving $400 and getting an parking brake, but it cost me 4 months in time. bummer.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:52 PM

thats another thing i like about dave@arizonazcar he has all his parts on the shelf for the most part. just drive over and pick them up and bolt them on. ya gotta love it!!
Old 01-16-2008, 08:48 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Great work Gary. That Z is friggin' sweet bro'. Oh and I have seen the Z in the flesh. Quite a sight, and a privelage. And this guy knows Z's, like no other I have met. He's been working on them pretty much since, they have been around. Gary is the one, that helped me get my Z through emissions, a couple years ago. Of course, I paid him for his work. he he. Anyway keep us up, on your Z projects. Always a treat man.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:51 AM

Suspension

Can you tell a difference with less unsprung weight? How does it feel compared to stock or the previous control arms?
Old 01-20-2008, 10:14 AM
Über User

just from being lighter they wont feel much different, its the adjustability of them thats important.

Quick Reply: Cobra Z gets new billet rear control arms today