240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

energy suspension bushings

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 09:19 PM
I have a present for you...

I recently did this to my '70. The front control arms come out easy. The rears are a real pain. You have to use a hacksaw and carefully cut through one side without cutting into your A arm. I put it in a vise to keep it steady and cut on the A side near the welds so if I cut to deep it wouldn't matter structuraly. The old bushing acts a a brake on the saw blade making it even more difficult. Be patient and go slow so you can keep the cut parallel with the hole. Then knock it out with a punch. If your going to do the mustach bar, don't cut the bushing out, just the rubber. I made that mistake and had to make new ones.
I put Tokikos in mine with good instructions and the springs were labled. The fronts are shorter and the coils are closer together at the tops.
I bought a complete set of urethane bushings on ebay and not one bit of instuction came with it! If I would have known how hard it was going to be I would have left them with negative feedback.
Good luck and warn your lady that there's going to be some cussin!
Old 02-27-2004, 08:15 AM

U Bushings / Grease em

Kivadog,

Don't forget to use the blue marine / trailer grease. If you don't, the new bushings will squeak like you woudn't believe. I removed the fronts just as "theramz' suggests.

I've done the front of my 70 model and will be doing the rear soon. I'm glad I read this thread because I probably would have cut my bushing races out of the rear mustache bar w/o giving it a second thought.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:03 AM

U Bushing

Are you referring to the front control arm front and back bushings (one on each side of the control arm)? If so, I'm about 90% sure the thicker bushing goes on the rear which produces a larger gap to the rear of the control arm. I can take a look tonight when I get home to verify. I did mine one side at a time so I had a reference pt, so I know mine are correct.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:54 AM

u bushings

I went to carfiche.com and tried to find a microfiche, but couldn't locate it. I'm just about sure you want your extra spacing in the back (up close in the front w/ the larger gap in the back) - both sides.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:37 PM

If I get a chance I will locate the Ground Control instructions I have and make a copy to post . I should be in the garage all day tomorrow , so I should find it then.

Mike
Old 03-01-2004, 09:17 AM

Fat bushings toward the back

You want the bigger gap in the back. I checked my stuff out over the weekend.

Good luck
Old 03-04-2004, 08:42 AM

Bushing Suggestion

I've been really impressed with the energy suspension hyperflex kit. It ran me about $170 from a place a found on the web called "Suspension Restoration Co." All the other places wanted about $200 or more. If you go urethane, don't forget to grease them with the marine grease or they will squeak.

http://www.suspension.com/nissancars.htm
Old 05-17-2004, 06:55 PM
I have a present for you...

Originally Posted by kivadog
I am working on the rear control arm now, is there a trick to get the upright and control arm back together, the new poly bushings seem to be to thick?
If I remember correctly there is a thicker flenge on two of the bushings. A very slight difference so that the strut won't fit in the A arm. There isn't enough to matter which goes in front.
I just looked at mine and you can't tell which is which but there was definitly a difference before I put them in. I bought the whole kit and was pissed the whole time because there weren't any instructions, just a big bag of parts.