240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

HELP ME find the perfect Z!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 05:58 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by mrgoochio
Wow just posted from what looks like a few hours ago, if not minutes..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSU...QQcmdZViewItem

I wish people would be more descriptive though.. almost 3 full lines of text, 1 small picture? Gotta be kidding me :P

Daniel
Nice... but lil sketchy: only 1 feedback on the seller, and they didn't even list the VIN. Hard to do a Carfax or any validation w/o the VIN.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:00 PM

Lol I got excited to see it was still in California. Little did I know, Eureka seems to be over 10 hours away according to mapquest. But yeah, the car does look nice but could the ad be any more vague?

Daniel
Old 01-29-2007, 06:17 PM
Über User

I admire your patience for being able to wait that long, but given my situation.. I do need a car by summertime or a little later. I'm doing my best on finding the right one in that time

For the sake of discussion, if turbo was in mind, does it make sense to try and add a turbo to bigjim's current setup, or a full motor swap? He's already got a L28 block with P79 head (plus he's got cams, but I don't know which ones).. what kind of wire harness would that use (I mean his current setup, not a motor swap turbo setup)? Apparently the P90 head is supposedly the best flowing and came with ZX turbo's, so I'm not sure where this car stands (in terms of turboing of course).

Daniel
well... you could turbo the car... but you need a fuel injection setup wich is a PIA if you have to do a full efi setup... but not too bad im sure... after that you need a full turbo kit... which is actualyl what im doing. i got an early 260Z and then got my free 82 2+2 zx and swapped motors and trannies and am getting the following for my turbo swap; turbo, turbo exhaust manifold, turbo oil pump, downpipe, turbo injectors, T for behing the oil pressure sender unit, turbo oil pan, turbo J pipe, and hopefully turbo AFM and intake setup.... i still have to get my turbo oil supply and return lines... in your case... you in a **** situation if you want a 240Z and then a turbo setup... cause you either need to spend EXRA EXTRA time finding a pre swapped turbo 240 or at least one with an EFI motor or take the extra time and hard hard work like me and build your own... however if you have lots of money and are resourcefull you can do what lww did and build a carb turbo setup... basically triple weber carbs (since they run butterfly valve style not the hitachi slide carb style) and then a way to put a manifold on them to hold the boost... then the turbo... turbo exhaust manifold, turbo down pipe custom exhaust and custom J pipe to go to your carb setup and a turbo oil pan or tap teh oil pan for a turbo oil return line and the T for behind the oil pressure sender unit for the oil feed line to the turbo.....
Old 01-29-2007, 06:44 PM

...For the sake of discussion, if turbo was in mind, does it make sense to try and add a turbo to bigjim's current setup, or a full motor swap? He's already got a L28 block with P79 head (plus he's got cams, but I don't know which ones).. what kind of wire harness would that use (I mean his current setup, not a motor swap turbo setup)? Apparently the P90 head is supposedly the best flowing and came with ZX turbo's, so I'm not sure where this car stands (in terms of turboing of course).

Daniel
You would be better off selling the current motor and buying a turbo motor to swap in. He has flatops so compression would be higher than a stock setup. It can be done with that setup but it adds a lot more complexity. If you are new to turbos, I would recommend keeping it simple.

If you're looking for a turbo 240Z, I'll sell you mine for 9k . I'll hold it for you 'till summer.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:29 PM

veyenyl got a thread to your car build/progress? Couldn't find one, haha I might have to take you up on that offer! I actually wanted to pickup a 240Z and try a L28ET swap myself. Anyhow, that white Z you linked me to craigslist isn't listing on a craigslist search anymore, afraid its already sold.

On another note, I'm posting from my dentist lol. On my way to work, but had to stop by for a cleaning.. waiting my turn and decided to boot up. What do ya know, zdriver-on-the-go!

Daniel
Old 01-29-2007, 09:39 PM

No build page yet. Here the link to my garage.

https://www.zdriver.com/forums/vbgar...o=view&id=6935
Old 01-29-2007, 10:24 PM

Looks like a cool car, how updated is that mod list? Out of curiosity, what PSI are you running?

Daniel
Old 01-29-2007, 10:29 PM
Über User

good list so far... curious.. what PSI are the T3/T4 turbos efficient up to do you know?
Old 01-29-2007, 10:35 PM

Sigh if only I could remember what I read, I could be somewhat helpful for once Unfortunately, I don't remember.. The T3/T4 hybrid turbos can definitely put down some power though

Daniel
Old 01-30-2007, 08:17 AM
The Good Twin

There isn't just "one" T3/T4 hybrid.... there are several different compressor wheel sizes & quite a few different combinations.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:00 AM

I'm aware of that, but generally T3/T04 Hybrids have the potential to put down some big horsepower, no?

Daniel
Old 01-30-2007, 09:04 AM
The Good Twin

^^^ Indeed!
Old 01-30-2007, 09:30 AM
Über User

i see... i should ask veynel how his LSD swap went since we have a relativly similare car and how he done it
Old 01-30-2007, 10:32 AM

Found a local Z with a '83ZXT motor swapped in, but no pictures.. sigh. I swear I had a question I was going to ask, but I suddenly forgot. Hm... Oh well.

Daniel
Old 01-31-2007, 01:26 AM

Say bye to Jim's Z, reserve has been met already. He was looking for 8K if you didn't see it in his other thread. Glad he got what he wanted, and I expect at least another grand before it sells!

Daniel
Old 01-31-2007, 09:44 AM

I admire your patience for being able to wait that long, but given my situation.. I do need a car by summertime or a little later. I'm doing my best on finding the right one in that time

For the sake of discussion, if turbo was in mind, does it make sense to try and add a turbo to bigjim's current setup, or a full motor swap? He's already got a L28 block with P79 head (plus he's got cams, but I don't know which ones).. what kind of wire harness would that use (I mean his current setup, not a motor swap turbo setup)? Apparently the P90 head is supposedly the best flowing and came with ZX turbo's, so I'm not sure where this car stands (in terms of turboing of course).

Daniel
Are you a DIY guy?
I'm not, so buying a modded car would've been a nightmare for me since I wanted a car ready to go with mainly maintenance to worry about.

Engine swaps, performance mods... I'd expect the car to be in the shop a healthy amount of time for all those little things than can & will go wrong.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:51 AM

I'd like to call myself a DIY guy, but I haven't had the opportunity to really get some wrench time in. I don't want my car to become a chore if I have to fix it all the time rather then actually working on the things I wish. Thats why I'm trying to find a Z that for the most part has been restored with new parts with basically all body work complete. (restored, not modified.. big difference ) I know I'll have to fix things, maintain things, etc., but some cars are obviously in better condition as a base than others, which I'm trying to find!

Daniel
Old 01-31-2007, 12:18 PM
Über User

if you buld it right and treat it right perform all the preventative maintenence teh car wont be in the shop due to engine swap and mods. its all about how you take car of it.. and in these cars.. not like wrnch work is hard. and body work is a PIA but is easier than mechanical work.. becuase you can see and tell whats wrong within a second....
Old 01-31-2007, 07:20 PM

nah snowy, you do an engine/tranny swap with anything other than bolt in switch on and youll be in the shop.

Have helped on a lot of swaps and there is always issues. Might be different if you spent the 10k to get a pro to do EVERYTHING but whos got that cash? and yes the crew know what they are doing

Putting the 4L V8 in the 91 Supra has been ongoing troubles and about 6k all up
Old 01-31-2007, 07:56 PM
Über User

see the problem comes in when splicing the turbo wiring engine bay harness into the dash harness... thats gonna be a biotch... after that just gotta place the ECU and run the harness and plug er' in... should'nt be too bad... you do stuff right you wont get stupid problems... once it is right... its just good maintence to keep your higher HP engine running nice and long.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:47 PM

Can you guys see anything out of the ordinary, or wrong about this Z? I'm interested in it and its supposedly all original minus new paint, tires, refurbished interior. Is everything where it should be in the engine bay? Nothin missing?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSU...QQcmdZViewItem

I appreciate the feedback guys

Daniel
Old 02-09-2007, 05:39 PM
Political n00b crusher

Thats the original color of my 240Z, I'm thinking about painting it back to...

Anyway, very nice!! ...but I would still proceed with caution since the lady has hardly any feedback history....but everything thing she says is true and the pics are representative...looks like might be what you're looking for....
Old 02-09-2007, 06:50 PM

Ah, actually I was skeptical at first also. However, this car was posted with only 1 picture last time and didn't hit the reserve, I wonder why (sarcasm, 1 picture with a 3 line description? haha) This time, it has more pictures and high res ones too. Anyway, I checked her username, its been registered since 2004 with the 1 positive feedback from that long ago so its relatively re-assuring since the ID is years old with 'zcarldy1' as her ebay ID plus the car has a license plate of zcarldy. its well matched and plus, i plan to take the amtrak for 12-14~ hours to pick up the car and drive it down to socal if I end up getting it versus trusting a random seller to ship. however, it would suck to seal the deal and arrive hours later to a fraud! How much ya'll think its worth?

Daniel
Old 02-12-2007, 04:44 PM

Sigh the seller said she has a $10,500 reserve on the auction and would sell for $10,200 after the auction ends if the reserve isn't met. The car is supposedly all original minus the stereo system with no signs of rust that she can see. $10,200 is quite expensive, I was thinking more along the lines of $8,000 for the car. Doh

Daniel
Old 02-12-2007, 05:03 PM
Taste My Rainbow

130k Miles Its Not Worth 10k+. I Have Seen 40-50k Orig Miles Go For That Not 130k.

Quick Reply: HELP ME find the perfect Z!