280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aftermarket deck install q's (stock amps?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 12:10 AM

aftermarket deck install q's (stock amps?)

ok i was looking around for a radio conversion kit so that i can put my cd player in the stock hole. The guy at the stero shop told me that my 280zx has stock amps in it, and that they would need to be taken out or bypassed.

my question is. dose the amps really need to be taken out? why cant i just hook the wires up to my deck? or are there really even stock amps?

and one more thing, has anyone found a site that has a full write up on doing a stero install in a 280zx? (i dont care about the all popular topic of speaker fitment)

and yes i have searched
Old 12-25-2004, 09:27 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

The guy is smokin' something. There's no amp in your 280ZX at least there hasn't been one in any of the 3 I've owned.

Those stock speakers are rated at a whopping 8 Watts!

There may be one in the Z31 but the 280ZX GL's and Turbo's were without amplification outside the head unit.

All you need is an adapter plate to fit a one din head unit into the space and cover the rest of the opening left by the removal of the stock unit.

There's no real secret to performing a stereo install on a 280zx. Power and ground for the head unit, preferably activated by the 'accessory' position on the ignition. A positive and negative run to each speaker or line out for installation of an amplifier and positive and negative from the amp to each speaker.

Cheers,
Wade

Originally Posted by mattduskater
ok i was looking around for a radio conversion kit so that i can put my cd player in the stock hole. The guy at the stero shop told me that my 280zx has stock amps in it, and that they would need to be taken out or bypassed.

my question is. dose the amps really need to be taken out? why cant i just hook the wires up to my deck? or are there really even stock amps?

and one more thing, has anyone found a site that has a full write up on doing a stero install in a 280zx? (i dont care about the all popular topic of speaker fitment)

and yes i have searched
Old 12-26-2004, 08:05 PM

thanks. these guys have a rep of rip offs.

i could use some ideas for a custom adapter plate. Because a peace of metal with a hole in the middle will cost me 15.00 and for that i can take a plasma cutter and make one myself for 3.00, but i could still use some more orignal ideas on how to put this thing in. so feel free to poste pics or web sites. and thanks again for the help
Old 12-26-2004, 09:52 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

I wouldn't even bother with the plasma cutter unless like me, you do it just because it's fun!

With the thickness of material you're talking about, a dremel tool with a cutting wheel should be just about perfect. Then you can change the cutting wheel to a polishing stone to smooth out the edges real nice.