280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Asbestos in the car??

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 02:15 PM

Asbestos in the car??

I just read in this 280ZX book I got: "...a heat-dissipating fusible insulator consisting primarily of asbestos and asphalt has been incorporated below, moderating floor vibration noise." I don't know all that much about asbestos except that all these schools had to be renovated to remove all asbestos from them because of a health hazard. That being the case, I'm thinking if I might remove the asbestos insulation from the 280ZX's floor, which I'm assuming are those brownish pads stuck to the metal floor.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:33 PM

Asbestos?!?!?!?!?!?! What Year On The 280zx Has The Asbestos?
Old 10-20-2004, 06:04 PM

Ive seen thoes pannels last weekend when I had the bins out from behind the seat. I have a 1980. What dook is that and does it say anything about a year? I wouldn't recomend removing them because from what Ive heard Asbestos is some pretty nasty stuff.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:32 AM

The book simply says "Datsun 280ZX" on the cover and is commonly found on Ebay for about $10. The book is nearly 200 pages about the development of the 280ZX including all kinds of specs and data. It was published in 1978 by Nissan, so it's official. I'm assuming all years of the 280ZX had the asbestos sound dampening pads since I don't think it was realized as a health hazard until years later. What I'm wondering is if the form/content of the asbestos is non-hazardous or not. I don't know if the asbestos must be in a certain form (ie powdered, fibrous, etc.) for it to be hazardous, or if just being within 10ft of it is dangerous (like an odor effect). If anyone has any info on how asbestos is dangerous, it would be a great help.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:20 AM
The Evil Twin

...so I really shouldn't have eaten the floor insulation in my car, huh?
Old 10-21-2004, 09:31 AM

Hell, I don't really know what asbestos is...I only heard about the stuff in schools, but yah, I thought the danger was involved in ingesting it...like some stupid kids licking or eating it or somethin'...
Anyway, I'm too lazy to do a search on the stuff, but I'm not worried about it myself...
Old 10-21-2004, 10:22 AM

asbestos can cause cancer when particles are breathed in. but the cancer doesn't appear until years later.
http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/asbestos/hazards.html

that's also the reason you should use brake cleaner when cleaning the brake dust(ie- when you replace your brake pads) and not just compressed air. it makes the asbestos airborne and that creates a hazard. so... if anyone is replacing their carpet, i'd think a respirator or mask would be a good idea. thanks for the heads up! i don't like cancer
Old 10-21-2004, 12:03 PM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by 280gty
the danger was involved in ingesting it...like some stupid kids licking or eating it or somethin'...
So no licking the brake rotors or dirty wheels either! Use wheel cleaner and brake cleaner.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:15 AM

SHHHHHH, about the abestos thing, our cars will end up on the EPA's most wanted list. Or for us close to or in California, we'll get C.A.R.B banned till we pay for some shop who is liscened in abestos to remove the stuff, and show the dumb *** C.A.R.B. board the certification paper. Just to get our new registration. Like last year I lost the stupid little E.O. number for my intake on my Eclipse and I could not pass an inspection till I had that. And no inspection = no registration. And for those who think I am kidding, I wish I was. And now that I live in Nevada, it is starting to get just as bad.

I may be over re-acting a little, but C.A.R.B. is a bunch of ****'s who hate any and all vehicles, modified or not.