280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body kits

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 03:12 PM

Body kits

Ok so I am thinking Im going to change the paint on my car, and put a body kit on it.

The only body kit I've seen is Shady's and I haven't seen where to purchase it.

So Shady if you could answer that question would be great.

Has anyone seen one that really stands out to them?

Also, what is the best way to remove all the paint on the car?

wgc_3
Old 05-06-2007, 03:17 PM

I'm quite sure Shady's is custom made.

One kit you might want to look into is the MSA type II.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:20 PM

Thank you, anything else you have in mind?

I do, but I don't like the wing, but you can't even purchase it anylonger.

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/7AP1/50-1512G

wgc_3
Old 05-06-2007, 03:27 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

^ The wing never was included with the kit. Just in case you don't know. Me personally I think the F-40 wing is the best looking on the 280zx's. That is my opinion though. And of course the whale tail is pretty sweet also. I will probably go with the type 2 kit, or something similiar later on.

Oh yeah as for the paint. Either sandblast it off, which you would have to be careful. Or sand it starting with 80 grit I believe. Then work on down to 60 and so on. If you are wanting to sand to the metal. If not I believe 80 grit is a good start to rough it up. So the primer will stick, and then you can sand that with a higher number grit, to rough that up. And after that, you can put the paint you want on the car. I am no expert, but this is what I know from messing around with my cars. And finding info on here. Hope it helps you out man.

Last edited by WildmaN; 05-06-2007 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:35 PM

When I had the paint done on my Corvette I used a putty knife to take off the paint, but I don't know if you can do this to metal?

wgc_3

Thank you for the feedback.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:39 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

^ You might be able to do that. But you would probably want to sand it real good, after you use the knife. Otherwise I don't see why it wouldn't work. Just do it as evenly as you can. And it should be allright. I am sure there are some better people, that could help you better. I don't know a lot, but I like to share what little I do know.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by WildmaN
^ You might be able to do that. But you would probably want to sand it real good, after you use the knife. Otherwise I don't see why it wouldn't work. Just do it as evenly as you can. And it should be allright. I am sure there are some better people, that could help you better. I don't know a lot, but I like to share what little I do know.
I do value your input thank you! I still have to get the damn thing running, and then move it to CO, this is just a festering thought I've had for a while figured I'd run it down with yall.

Color Options-

Black- Water spots to easy
Red- Sounds good just sucks when chipped
White- Too much dirt
Yellow- Not so much

I'm thinking of GM's new color on the Corvettes thats a brushed grey/titanium.

Give your input.

Thanks,
wgc_3
Old 05-06-2007, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by wgc_3
Color Options-

Black- Water spots to easy
Red- Sounds good just sucks when chipped
White- Too much dirt
Yellow- Not so much
I painted my hood black and wash it weekly, and I havent had a problem with waterspots, like I thought I would. I use THE ABSORBER to dry it with. Do not get a "Works Like Absorber" cloth, but get the real one from WalMart or a parts store. Now instead of Datsun black, i used Hummer black (which has blue in it to make it black black and not have a brown tint in it, like some do) and clearcoated it with a clearcoat that was $185 a gallon and i think that made the difference. I love the black, but you better have good a/c cause it will get hot. Good luck and hope it turns out good. I changed my color many times before I finally spent the money and bought the paint. I went and looked at peoples z's on cardomain trying to decide on a color.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:29 PM
Big Poppa

hehe, yeah mine is custom, it helps to be a aircraft structures tech. having all the metal tools is a plus. the front airdam is a 8' by 12" piece of .040" aluminum, and the sides are custom steel formed, and welded on the car. the original was rotted off, so i figured good time to put my handy work to use. thanks for the compliment for the body kit, if you want more pix, i will gladly post them. think i even scan some of my original pix from when i was making it. oh, and the rear spoiler is just a msa low pro whale tail. any more info, just ask. you could always make a clone.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by SHADY280
hehe, yeah mine is custom, it helps to be a aircraft structures tech. having all the metal tools is a plus. the front airdam is a 8' by 12" piece of .040" aluminum, and the sides are custom steel formed, and welded on the car. the original was rotted off, so i figured good time to put my handy work to use. thanks for the compliment for the body kit, if you want more pix, i will gladly post them. think i even scan some of my original pix from when i was making it. oh, and the rear spoiler is just a msa low pro whale tail. any more info, just ask. you could always make a clone.
Problem is I really don't have the tools needed to bend metal like like. What did you use an english wheel of some sort?

I would like to see your wheels at a close up from the pic you have your car is deff. unique, and just well awesome to say the least.

Thanks,
wgc_3
Old 05-07-2007, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by 3XAZOWNER
I painted my hood black and wash it weekly, and I havent had a problem with waterspots, like I thought I would. I use THE ABSORBER to dry it with. Do not get a "Works Like Absorber" cloth, but get the real one from WalMart or a parts store. Now instead of Datsun black, i used Hummer black (which has blue in it to make it black black and not have a brown tint in it, like some do) and clearcoated it with a clearcoat that was $185 a gallon and i think that made the difference. I love the black, but you better have good a/c cause it will get hot. Good luck and hope it turns out good. I changed my color many times before I finally spent the money and bought the paint. I went and looked at peoples z's on cardomain trying to decide on a color.

Problem is where I live in Northern CO, within a change of a ferw hours it can go from 60 to 20+snow back to 60. And if I had black I know it would water spot being its my primary car. Also, you cleared it your self! I would have to get someone to do the priming/painting/clearing because when I get it running and moved to CO I have no where to paint in.

If anyone knows a good painter in CO let me know please.

Do you really feel that $185/pg was worth the clear?

Thanks for the input btw,
wgc_3
Old 05-08-2007, 06:47 AM
Big Poppa

here ya go, everyone knows these pix, right when i first got them.

and one with stock rims, looks aight still

Old 05-10-2007, 10:16 PM

I like the MSA I kit...
http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/7AP1/50-1505G
Old 05-11-2007, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by SHADY280
here ya go, everyone knows these pix, right when i first got them.

and one with stock rims, looks aight still

Damn good looking. Impressive handy work.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:47 PM

I would do dirty dirty things to your car!!!
Old 05-15-2007, 06:28 AM
From NY to AZ

Here's another option.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:44 PM

Doesn't BlackDragon.com have some body kits for sale as well?