280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body kits

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 06:37 AM

Body kits

where else can you buy a body kit other than MSA?
Old 03-13-2004, 11:38 AM
Super Siver & Black Stud

victoria britsh sells them too but they pretty much have what MSAdoes.. theres not too many places you can get body kits for our cars and if you want something doffrent.. your pretty much gonna have to make it yourself..
Old 03-15-2004, 10:25 AM
The Evil Twin

True. All the wild ones you might see now and then are probably the air dam that Ice has pictured above, but with some custom fiberglass work added to it. I just bought that one there because its clean looking and tastefull. I think its a great upgrade for the front of the 280ZX.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:17 AM

here's the body kit i ordered http://www.customautotrim.com/bodyki...pe_1979-83.htm actually to tell you the truth this body kit is better than msa a little more pricey but worth it cause the body kit is made out of urethane and has a life time warranty, where as fiber glass body kits from msa don't have warranty that i know of. So in the long run it's worth every penny, if you hit a curb the body kit bends that's what urethane is its a bendably material, where as fiber glass is hard and if cracked will cost you around 50 bux to get a fiber glass sheet to repair it or you can use bondo but i dont know why you would use bondo anyways hope that helps.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:15 AM
Super Siver & Black Stud

i dont know if id say it was better.. i use to have that body kit on my car.. i had it on my car for about 10 years or so and it didnt hold up too well.. after the first 3 years i had it on my car the center part of the airt dam started to sag causing it to scrape the driveway everytime i would pull out of it. because it is urethane it does flex and bend but your paint dont flex or bend .. it chips.. that xenon air dam looked really bad after only 3 years on my car.. but IMO i still think the MSA kit is the best one out on the market...
Old 07-29-2004, 10:04 AM
The Evil Twin

Ya, if you hit something with either air dam, you're going to have paint damage. I don't have a problem hitting things.... hehe...

Besides, those under bumper air dams look bolt on. The MSA fiberglass one is the only one-piece bumper cover that makes the whole front and rear of the ZX smooth.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:19 AM

well both air dams are the same style, so the reason why the urethane air dam sagz is because of the heat. the porpuse of it is not to spend so much f---ing money on the fiber glass cover and paint to repair it im not saying go and crash into as many curbs as you possibly can before it falls off. But in saying it's pretty much safe proof and im sure if your air damn f---s up in the next 3 years it has life time warrenty so just f---ing do something to it and rip off the company lol.

-chuck

Last edited by Bleach; 07-30-2004 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:02 AM
The Evil Twin

http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merch...gory_Code=7AP1

The Xenon kits are about the same price as the fiberglass. $200 for the front bumper and for a set of side skirts. That is the same price as MSA. Also, they are not the same kit at all.

Last edited by Bleach; 07-30-2004 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:03 AM
Super Siver & Black Stud

I GOT THAT FROM MOTORSPORTS... HERES THE WEB ADDRESS... WWW.ZCARPARTS.COM
Old 09-01-2004, 09:55 AM

Ahh, the wonders of ignorance ... people, it's been said a thousand times - The search function has a purpose, so use it! Obviously, it's annoying answering the same question over and over. I would advise those looking for "body kits", etc. to use standard search engines like Google or AltaVista - they work! Then, if you can't find anything with those, you can get the inside opinion from those of us on ZDriver.com. Okay, now that I'm done venting ...

Here's a twist I thought about for my MSA style-II kit - Z32 bumper lights molded into the side of the airdam, and VW Jetta sidelights on the front quarterpanels behind the wheel arches (did that make sense? ), like on the Jetta.
IceIce, did your rear valance come with the exhaust cutout on the driver or passenger side? I like what you did with it - having the rounded cutout as opposed to the rectangular cutout out-of-the-box. Also, did you remove the bumpers from behind the aero kit and fab up a mount kit? I'm really interested in how you went about doing that (if you did ...)
-Dave-O
Old 09-01-2004, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Dorifto
IceIce, did your rear valance come with the exhaust cutout on the driver or passenger side? I like what you did with it - having the rounded cutout as opposed to the rectangular cutout out-of-the-box. Also, did you remove the bumpers from behind the aero kit and fab up a mount kit? I'm really interested in how you went about doing that (if you did ...)
-Dave-O
you can get cutout on left or the right...left is for turbo and right is for N/A...on my kit i took of those bumpers and just made a few brackets to hold it on there, just to hold, not for the impact, just cuz the bumper wasnt meant for impact so it doesnt matter...
Old 09-01-2004, 12:40 PM
Super Siver & Black Stud

i did what skully just said.. i ordered the n/a rear bumper which had the exhaust hole on the right side of the car.. but i filled it in with fiberglass and cut out a circular exhause hole on the left side... as my rear bumper support goes i didnt remove it.. i just deflated the bumper shocks like i did in the front and pushed in the rear bumper so that i could weld on mounting braclets that i could rivvet the rear bumper sell to the bumper support... if you look at my car closly i had my kit molded on and its mounted on tight.. so that it cant vibrate or crack.. i had my body man do all the work but i was the one who told him how i wanted it done...
Old 09-01-2004, 11:11 PM

Beautiful job on the bodywork - thanks for the tidbits of info. I didn't realize I could order either a turbo or NA bumper - I'll have to get the turbo then ... It's much appreciated guys
Old 09-02-2004, 08:01 AM
The Evil Twin

The right exhaust exit is for NA 1979-81. Just like the "turbo" vent hoods for 1981, the 1982-83 non-turbo has the exhaust exit on the left side and uses the larger hood vents just like the turbo models those years.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by BleachZee
The right exhaust exit is for NA 1979-81. Just like the "turbo" vent hoods for 1981, the 1982-83 non-turbo has the exhaust exit on the left side and uses the larger hood vents just like the turbo models those years.
yeah i forgot to mention mineis 81 thats why its other way...
Old 10-29-2004, 08:47 AM

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by kryptonite
yo whats a web site that i can go to to get a body kit for my '79 280zx
Hey man you can go to victoriabritish.com they have a some nice front air dams and rear spoilers