280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car for daughter

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 05:01 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
she would look great in a golden anniversary edition--like mine......turbo and all the gooodies......she is pretty and would complement thw car nicely and vice versa.......gorgeous girls--- ( )_/)
Old 11-04-2008, 05:11 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by KasbeKZ
can you really change that clutch in an hour?
Tools you need:
10, 12, 14, 17, 19mm sockets
Impact gun and air ratchet (HIGHLY recommended)
Breaker bar
Ball joint tool or Pickle Fork
Rubber Mallet

1. Unhook the battery
2. Remove the intake (in my case charge piping)
3. Remove the starter hookups (there's a bolt on the larger one, pull the boot back and remove it)
4. Pull off all of the other sensors attached to the tranny (VSS, back up light switch).
5. Remove the tranny ground cable
6. Remove the clutch line bracket and slave cylinder (after you remove it don't depress the clutch pedal).
7. Support the slave cylinder so it doesn't kink or get pulled, I use a bent wire hanger.
8. Either pop out the "***** pin" or just remove the shift linkage at the shifter. I chose the shifter because I don't want to mess with that pin. Make sure you drop both rods.
9. Remove the splash shield.
10. Place a tranny jack under the tranny ( I used a regular jack with a peice of 2x4 on it to support the weight better)
11. Remove the engine stiffeners and clutch cover. This varies from y5&y8 to y7. The y5&y8 are the same whereas the y7 is slightly different. For my y8 it was 4 bolts on the stiffener. The clutch cover is an additional 2 bolts.
12. Start removing the mounts.
-I took off the one towards the passenger side of the car first. There are 3 bolts that hold the mount to the tranny, and then another two that hold the mount to the car. I took the mount completely off just to add extra space for me to work.
-Then loosen the rear tranny mount.
13. Remove the top 3 tranny bolts that hold the tranny to the block.
-Remove the lower starter bolt (THIS ONE IS HARD TO SEE!!!)
14. Remove the lower bolts that hold the tranny to the block. (in the Helms manual there are 5.)
15. Now the tranny should be trying to slide away from the block. Slide it far enough over to clear the mainshaft and start to lower it. ***If you have a big friend who can hold the thing up and lower it down himself it helps*** but a tranny jack and a lift make this a pretty easy job, but a little time consuming.
16. Once you have the tranny on the ground, slide it out from under the car.

Installation is the reverse.

Last edited by lww; 11-04-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:13 PM

Thanx, Haggie
Old 11-04-2008, 05:16 PM

Hay Snow,
Old 11-04-2008, 05:25 PM
Über User

Originally Posted by lww
Tools you need:
10, 12, 14, 17, 19mm sockets
Impact gun and air ratchet (HIGHLY recommended)
Breaker bar
Ball joint tool or Pickle Fork
Rubber Mallet

1. Unhook the battery
2. Remove the intake (in my case charge piping)
3. Remove the starter hookups (there's a bolt on the larger one, pull the boot back and remove it)
4. Pull off all of the other sensors attached to the tranny (VSS, back up light switch).
5. Remove the tranny ground cable
6. Remove the clutch line bracket and slave cylinder (after you remove it don't depress the clutch pedal).
7. Support the slave cylinder so it doesn't kink or get pulled, I use a bent wire hanger.
8. Either pop out the "***** pin" or just remove the shift linkage at the shifter. I chose the shifter because I don't want to mess with that pin. Make sure you drop both rods.
9. Remove the splash shield.
10. Place a tranny jack under the tranny ( I used a regular jack with a peice of 2x4 on it to support the weight better)
11. Remove the engine stiffeners and clutch cover. This varies from y5&y8 to y7. The y5&y8 are the same whereas the y7 is slightly different. For my y8 it was 4 bolts on the stiffener. The clutch cover is an additional 2 bolts.
12. Start removing the mounts.
-I took off the one towards the passenger side of the car first. There are 3 bolts that hold the mount to the tranny, and then another two that hold the mount to the car. I took the mount completely off just to add extra space for me to work.
-Then loosen the rear tranny mount.
13. Remove the top 3 tranny bolts that hold the tranny to the block.
-Remove the lower starter bolt (THIS ONE IS HARD TO SEE!!!)
14. Remove the lower bolts that hold the tranny to the block. (in the Helms manual there are 5.)
15. Now the tranny should be trying to slide away from the block. Slide it far enough over to clear the mainshaft and start to lower it. ***If you have a big friend who can hold the thing up and lower it down himself it helps*** but a tranny jack and a lift make this a pretty easy job, but a little time consuming.
16. Once you have the tranny on the ground, slide it out from under the car.

Installation is the reverse.
true BUT you forgot the part about removing the CV shafts which is taking off both fron wheels and lower tie rod and ball joint and main axle nut or w/e its called ball joints are a PIA btw swing thos away from the shafts then pop them out of the tranny. its much more than an hour job. s130 and s30's are easier.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:29 PM

LWW< a civic could be a practical option. Hmmmmm, should I be practical?LOL

Last edited by lww; 11-04-2008 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:36 PM
Über User

anything is more practicaly than borrowing a rav4 lol. also, my 280zx was stupidly reliable, i had one issue only and that was from a ****ty clutch that slipped changed it out and all better! never had an issue with it. and i think these cars are just as easy if not easier than a civic to work on. the motors will last as long. only thing is winter time that they become a least ideal option the whole RWD thing. but i prefer it. makes going up hills blow but thats about it
Old 11-04-2008, 08:28 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
true BUT you forgot the part about removing the CV shafts which is taking off both fron wheels and lower tie rod and ball joint and main axle nut or w/e its called ball joints are a PIA btw swing thos away from the shafts then pop them out of the tranny. its much more than an hour job. s130 and s30's are easier.
Actually, you can drop the tranny without pulling the axles.

If you do need to pull the axles, like when you're doing a GSR brake upgrade, you can get then out by just pulling the axle nut, the bolt attaching the LCA to the hub assembly and the steering arm and then sliding the axle out.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:35 PM
Über User

not in my buddies theres to much there that **** wont drop with the axles attatched they will get hung up and pinched i dont see it working to well, at least not when going back into the car. maybe out just cause gravity rocks.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:45 PM
Hoov for Pres!

Gravity can be one evil *****. I hear that.
But, I have done engine swaps in some cars in an hour. Anything can be done fast with practice, and the right tools.
I could almost swap the clutch in my Ford in a half hour, but the tranny weighed a good 200+ pounds. So it was normally fun to stab by myself. Being a guy that weighs under 150 himself. haha

As much as I get sick of the riced out Hondas, they build great quality cars. My dad got a free Accord that was in a rear end accident twice. It doing the rear ending. The whole front end is demolished. He threw new headlights on, and has driving it to work in the same condition for three years... 280,000 miles on the clock last time I did an oil change, and the insides of that engine are like new clean.

My dad personally hates anything to do with a wrench. He drives his cars into the ground. I can't remember him driving the same car for more than two years growing up, until I started doing it for him. I can't believe that Honda does as well as it does.

I prefer Honda's motorcycles however. They build the best. You are welcome to argue Snw. hahahahaha
Old 11-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Über User

idk anything about bikes except super sports, and as far as honda goes in making them, they do a damn good job for the street decent on the track. yamaha rips it up on the track not so much for street driving kawi is a great meadian between the two yet blows at motogp and suzuki is for townies. lol. ducatti and aprilia and mv august is the exotic's of the super bike world and yeah, always get mixed reviews about them so i dont really have much of an opinion other than they are over priced and un-reliable. for the most part. mike seems to be having decent luck though with his so power to him. though i wonder how many miles he has on it haha.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:17 PM

i actually like the look of that S130. I have got used to the bumper being gone on my S30 and i think it looks ok.

But it really depends on what your daughter wants. and where she wants to go to dinner with me at! haha j/k
Old 11-05-2008, 08:00 AM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
Originally Posted by ZBRICK
Haven't had the oppertunity to ask her what she would think of this car. She thinks my white one is cool though. I let her drive it and while entering the interstate I told her to floor it. She dug it. She went around telling everyone that I MADE her drive fast. Of course I will check with her before I buy it.

She has been driving her mothers rav4 but her mother mved to VA with the car so she has no wheels.
car is ok---pretty enough for a girl to drive---i would place spikes in place of bumper to keep the other drivers away from it.........if she likes it, go for it--the low miles on it is awesome--less than 100k---they last to 300k with good care easily.......almost got there with my piglet......but she committed suicide after i sold her......are you sure you want her to get the attention she will get while driving such a high profile kind of car????she will get attention with a vw beetle, also, she is pretty---ask her if she likee it first, daddy............ () _/)

Last edited by z-hag; 11-05-2008 at 08:03 AM.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:07 AM
Über User

will you give her my number? :P
Old 11-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

did she ask "hey dad can you get me one of those Z's" or did you say "HEY GIRL YOU GETTING THIS DATSUN AND YOUR GOING TO LIKE IT!!!!"

cause that matters

also make her pay for it dont let her be a mooch, or you can convince snw to pay for it from the sounds of things
Old 11-05-2008, 01:29 PM
Hoov for Pres!

I bet snw would be in for sure if he paid for it.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:29 PM
Pr0n Addict

lol that's true. yeah the deal that's always worked for me is: i pay for the car and gas, and repairs, and parents pay for insurance, and if something goes wrong while i'm broke, they help out. but, she is in college already, so that makes it hard to be buying a car. i don't think i would be able to pull it off. couldn't get more than 15-maybe 20 hours a week in. it would take all year.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:45 PM
Hoov for Pres!

When I turned 15, I bought my first car. The first day I drove it with my license the engine blew a head gasket. Then I paid for the repairs, and did them myself. I paid gas, insurance, and maintenance. The best experience my growing up life. I would like to be much better financially off with my family than my parents were, but I still plan on much the same treatment with my own children as long as they can keep the grades.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Political n00b crusher

idk anything about bikes except super sports, and as far as honda goes in making them, they do a damn good job for the street decent on the track. yamaha rips it up on the track not so much for street driving kawi is a great meadian between the two yet blows at motogp and suzuki is for townies. lol. ducatti and aprilia and mv august is the exotic's of the super bike world and yeah, always get mixed reviews about them so i dont really have much of an opinion other than they are over priced and un-reliable. for the most part. mike seems to be having decent luck though with his so power to him. though i wonder how many miles he has on it haha.
5600 miles and no problems other than the rear sprocket being replaced due to a recall. Still its true Italian bikes overall are not as reliable as Japanese bikes.....though on the other hand, try as they might, the Japs will never make a bike as sexy as the Italian bikes lol.

Oh yeah, ZBrick, I say go for it especially since she likes your Z. Looks like a nice car.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Hoov for Pres!

My Honda has been going 29 years strong, still burns Harleys, keeps up with 600's in the straights, and no major parts changed for over 60,000 miles. Just valve adjustments, and wear parts like chains, and sprockets, and brakes. Upgrades sure.
Pretty is nice. But, I like something I can go fast on, break laws with, and still ride every day if I want. Been itching for a VFR or XX though.....
Old 11-05-2008, 03:12 PM

will you give her my number? :P
Dude, she's got your number............LOL

Last edited by ZBRICK; 11-05-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:21 PM
Pr0n Addict

that's creepy. must be some kind of stalker. i bet she's got my number too. or she knows where to find it at least lol.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:33 PM
Über User

Originally Posted by SportBikeMike
5600 miles and no problems other than the rear sprocket being replaced due to a recall. Still its true Italian bikes overall are not as reliable as Japanese bikes.....though on the other hand, try as they might, the Japs will never make a bike as sexy as the Italian bikes lol.

Oh yeah, ZBrick, I say go for it especially since she likes your Z. Looks like a nice car.
ducatti 1098 and desmo ARE some sexy bikes, as for all italian bikes being sexier, the MV augusta is nice but imho aprilia and BMW doesnt make to aesthetically pleasing bikes to me. BMW for obvious reasons and aprilia just has to much plastic looks fat. it was in one of the new batman movies, cant remember if it was batman begins or dark knight.... oh well. oh and jap bikes are a bit more comfy, and gotta love the high rev sound. i want kawi to make the screamer motor, yamaha replicated the m1 motor which sounds sexy now kawi needs to make the screamer again so you sound like your sitting on an F1 motor.

and does she now? ill be expecting a call lol.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Political n00b crusher

ducatti 1098 and desmo ARE some sexy bikes, as for all italian bikes being sexier, the MV augusta is nice but imho aprilia and BMW doesnt make to aesthetically pleasing bikes to me. BMW for obvious reasons and aprilia just has to much plastic looks fat. it was in one of the new batman movies, cant remember if it was batman begins or dark knight.... oh well. oh and jap bikes are a bit more comfy, and gotta love the high rev sound. i want kawi to make the screamer motor, yamaha replicated the m1 motor which sounds sexy now kawi needs to make the screamer again so you sound like your sitting on an F1 motor.

and does she now? ill be expecting a call lol.
Thanks for your kind words about the Duck! Yeah I agree Jap bikes are generally more comfortable. The 1098 is known for being uncomfortable with very low bars but I love that aggressive riding position. Its pretty much a full-racing tuck. I'll have to admit I sometimes miss the high-end scream of the R1. Kawis are cool bikes....I ride with this guy sometimes that has a green ZX-6RR, that thing sounds MEAN! And its totally stock. BTW BMWs are German, not Italian.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:07 PM
Über User

LOL LOL LOL your right buwahaha, im going to go get a beer or something for that foul up with the BMW. i've been REALLY making some noob mistakes as far as cars go and stuff just saying something and going, oh fudge! speaking of beer. im going to be 21 in one day less than a month. dec 4th *****es mike you coming to the bars? lol

Quick Reply: Car for daughter