280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone put a stereo in the glove box?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 10:19 AM

Has anyone put a stereo in the glove box?

Hello, it's been awhile since I posted, too many cars, too many projects...

I want to keep the original look of my 280ZX stereo, so I'm thinking about putting an FM/CD player in the glove box. Has anyone else done this? Any draw backs? Would a remote control unit work with the glove box closed?

BTW, I recently reupholstered the 23 year old gray leather seats. I'm not a big fan of leather seats, so I had them redone in blue/blue cloth. Take a look: http://home.comcast.net/~r.long2/Datsun280ZX_Seats.htm

Later...Robert
Old 10-26-2006, 10:30 AM
No Club Love

Draw backs are, you have less, glove box space, you have to open it to change the vol. etc. unless you have a remote...i don't know if the remote will work with it closed. And some one put a 6 disc cd changer in the glove box...or tried. So yeah, i think it was wildman.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:32 AM
The Good Twin

One of my buddy's did that in his old GTO to keep everything stock. If you know how to wire a stereo, it's easy.... Dooo it! Dooo it!
Old 10-26-2006, 10:33 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by wreckedj30
Draw backs are, you have less, glove box space, you have to open it to change the vol. etc. unless you have a remote...i don't know if the remote will work with it closed. And some one put a 6 disc cd changer in the glove box...or tried. So yeah, i think it was wildman.
eh... who needs the glove box for storage when you have a center console. Reaching over to change something on the deck does become a hassle... especially on the freeway but whattayado....
Old 10-26-2006, 10:37 AM
No Club Love

i put my cd changer in the heater spot. it fits like it was meant to be. and i can see the words on it and don't get such a glare..
Old 10-26-2006, 10:55 AM

I figured I'd leave the front speakers hooked up to the stock stereo, and for Miko to let me know if the door's ajar, and then wire the new stereo in the glove box to my new rear Polks.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:20 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

I used to have the deck in my glove when i wanted to keep everything stock looking. Worked great. Also keeps would be theives from assuming you have beat . .unless you have a box in the back with 2 12's and some mids . . .then they steal the whole car, joy ride it, leave it for dead 5 miles from home, **** up your pristine black interior and take your t-tops.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:48 PM
Über User

what a touching story^^^
remotes run on infra red signals i believe...so unless you somehow wired the pickup sensor out side the glove box...you cant chang e it with teh remote with the glove box closed.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:22 PM
User Friendly

Yeah, I wouldn't think that the remote would work with the glove box closed because it'll block the signal. On my home stereo, the receiver is inside an entertainment center with glass doors, so it can still read the infrared signal from my remote control with the doors shut.

Another drawback on installing it inside the glove box would be the repetitive opening and closing of the lid - you know the hinge is made of plastic, which breaks at the seams over time. The more you open and close it, the more wear it'll get. You could try to remove that hinge and replace it with a metal one though, but you'd still have to open it constantly to access your CD player. Even with my long arms (I'm 5'10"), I cannot reach the glove box lock while driving, so that would be dangerous for you also.

Installing it where Wrecked did would keep you from having to open the glove box constantly, and allow easier access.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:43 PM
Über User

he wants it to look vintage stock....make a place for it reachable but hidden...under your seat?? you can hit it with a remote down there...umm....some wher in the dash with a removable door??? be creative...dont just jump to the glove box
Old 10-26-2006, 04:07 PM
User Friendly

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
make a place for it reachable but hidden...under your seat??
You've obviously never owned a 280ZX.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:24 PM
Über User

dude....i said be creative...you can make anything fit into anything...almost...you can cut out the seat and make framing like how they do head rest moniters....head units arent that incredibly thick....yeesh support here B monster i thought we were friends
Old 10-26-2006, 04:49 PM
Ruff Ryder

i put a CB radio in the glove box of a z32, i dont imagine it would be hard to put on in an s130..
Old 10-26-2006, 05:12 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

there are devices that can recieve IR signals, send them over a wire, and retransmit at the other end. and get an ipod if you dont want to have to change discs all the time. my ipod lives in my glovebox, as i can control it from the headunit.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:48 PM
Doesn't post much...

Originally Posted by hoov100zx
i put a CB radio in the glove box of a z32, i dont imagine it would be hard to put on in an s130..
Things you CAN put a CB Radio in:

Trucks (American only and preferably old and ratty looking)

Black Mid-'70's Trans Am's

Bright orange Dodge Chargers

Any Camaro, Firebird, Nova, Chavelle, LeMans, Mustang, Cougar or other would-be American muscle car.

Your Garage.

Things you SHOULDN'T put a CB Radio in:

Z Cars

Any European car

Z Cars

Any Sports car that doesn't have a back seat

Z cars.

Rod.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:52 PM
Über User

DAMN^^^ i was hopin you would contradict yourself cuase you were naming american cars and i was looking for a corvette and then you said they dont belong in any 2 seater sports car....DAMN
Old 10-26-2006, 06:13 PM
No Club Love

what cb's don't even belong in a cougar, mustang or charger. it was good enough for duke but not me. Anyways, there a good way too keep under the radar for cops though, especially if you have trucker buddies, And your smashing out like the Zcar will do.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:29 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

CB's are a must if you travel interstate highways frequently and for long distances. That along with a radar detector, jammer, scanner, CD's dangling from your rear view mirror and stealth black paint . . .
Old 10-26-2006, 06:33 PM
No Club Love

there's no need for stealth black paint, just primer black that biznitch...and i can't have any of those things cause i have no cig. lighter.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:40 PM
Über User

dude...wire it into the cars electricity circuits...fuse box and what not...you dont need no stickin cig lighter...
Old 10-26-2006, 06:45 PM
Doesn't post much...

Originally Posted by apollo
CB's are a must if you travel interstate highways frequently and for long distances. That along with a radar detector, jammer, scanner, CD's dangling from your rear view mirror and stealth black paint . . .
Funny,

You don't look like a Red-neck.

Rod.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:51 PM
User Friendly

My mom is visiting me this week and just asked what I was doing on the computer. After I told her about this thread, she asked me why the remote control to her CD player/changer is able to function since it's mounted in the trunk of her Mustang. I told her it's because her remote is straight-wired (not a wireless remote) into her stock head unit. Well, I completely forgot about that option ... doh me - give mom some bozo buttons!

Why not buy a cd player that has a wired remote control? She still has her stock stereo - the CD player/changer is wired to it, so it doesn't need an infared signal. I dunno how you'd wire it, but I'm sure a stereo shop could do it if you can't figure it out. That way, you could mount it in your glove box, like you wanted to do, and not have to continuously open the lid to access it.

Last edited by Z Car Barbie; 10-26-2006 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:49 PM
Ruff Ryder

Originally Posted by RodMoyes

Things you SHOULDN'T put a CB Radio in:

Z Cars

Any European car

Z Cars

Any Sports car that doesn't have a back seat

Z cars.

Rod.
i had two of them in there for a while, but i gave the other one to my freind rex to put in his jetta, its kinda funny, both sides of my z are coverd in mud, plus theres the 42" magnetic mount whip antenna, but the radio looked very scientific, its a galaxy dx959, the radio before it was a cobra 29 NW with sound tracker, i must say though, they dont look out of place in the cockpit of a z32..just wait till i bust out the 102" whip antenna, THAT will be too redneck..
Old 10-27-2006, 12:21 AM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
Funny, you don't look like a Red-neck.
Some folk'l nevur eat a skunk, but then again some folk'l . . . .
Old 10-27-2006, 04:03 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by wreckedj30
Yes except it is a 12 disc cd changer. Here are the pics, of the stereo faceplate, will find more pics of the changer installed in the glovebox.

Okay here is a pic of the 12 disc JVC cd changer in the glovebox. And I used a FM modulator, and it plays through 88.1 FM on my stock stereo.

Also here is an old pic of the remote in my ashtray. The remote is in the same place. Just the stereo console, and face is redone of course. And the remote is fed through from under the dash. It took a lot of work. But it was worth it, no regrets.

Last edited by WildmaN; 10-27-2006 at 04:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Has anyone put a stereo in the glove box?