280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you get to the seatbelt?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 06:56 AM

How do you get to the seatbelt?

I've got the door edge trim removed, I removed the panel running across the width of the ceiling side to side, and removed the bolt on that side that holds the side panel on, but cannot seem to get the side panel off still. It comes out enough at the bottom to beable to see the seatbelt assembly back behind it, but not nearly enough to replace it. What am I missing?

thanks, rxKaffee
Old 08-15-2006, 01:22 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well if you want to take the whole side panel off. You are going to have to take off one of the hatch shocks, that are mounted to it. And then remove a few screws, to take the panel off. An easier way so you can get the seatbelt out. Is unclip the top piece that the belt goes through on the side panel. Then pull the belt through going to the inside. Then I believe remove the bolt holding the spool, 14mm I think. You just pull the panel out enought to use a socket without an extension, to get the spool out. And if that is the wrong size, just stick different size sockets, in until they fit. And that should help you out. Let me know, if you are still having trouble.

Also something else I missed, 14mm is the size of the bolt, I am pretty sure. Also you need a short enough screwdriver for the phillips screw, on top of the spool. Hopefully that helps you a little better. Let me know how it goes.

Last edited by WildmaN; 08-15-2006 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:18 PM

It feels like whatever is holding it is located between where the seatbelt mounts, and where the quarter window is back there. It doesn't pull back quite far enough now to get a socket and extension in to the assembly.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:26 PM

there are clips holding that side trim on. I believe all around the quarter window area is where the clips are located. I cant remember for the life of me how to remove it though. Only done it once and it was a couple years ago. I do remember I did some damage to one side cause I didnt know how to get the clips to come free. I'm pretty sure you just have to slide it in a certain direction or something like that. I know you dont just pull straight out though, thats what cause mine to break.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:38 PM

Yea, I'd hate to break any of my black interior pieces.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:59 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by rxKaffee
It feels like whatever is holding it is located between where the seatbelt mounts, and where the quarter window is back there. It doesn't pull back quite far enough now to get a socket and extension in to the assembly.
No don't use an extension, just a short socket, and ratchet. If not, use a hand wrench, and a short phillips screwdriver. As for removing the 1/4 trim panel. It is kind of a pain in the **** to remove. I did it back in May, when I was repainting my interior pieces. I will try and see about looking at my Z later today. No promises, depends what time I get up later. And if I want to go out in the heat. Anyway I know this weekend, I could find out more for you. Like I said, I did it not long ago. Removing, repainting, and reinstalling the interior pieces, on most of my Z.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:58 PM
User Friendly

I popped mine off by using an angled crow bar. You have to insert it right at the rivet, and be very careful to avoid breaking the panel. My panels survived, but most of my rivets didn't. I bought some more at Lowe's (they're in the screws and fastener aisle - look inside the pull-out drawers).
Old 12-22-2006, 06:49 PM

Well, I finally braved the heat(actually, it finally cooled off outside!) and attacked the seatbelt again...

I managed, by pure luck, to get a couple of the more important clips undone safely. I was then able to pry back the edges of the panel to see what to do about the other clips that were in my way.

I got the panel to pull back just far enough to get a 16mm socket to the top bolt. Would have been tons easier if I had a 16mm wrench... dunno where that ran off to :-O The lower bolt was a breeze. Now I just need to get as tubby screw driver or a philips attachmed for my socketwrench to finish off.

Hopefully pick those up at walmart, aswell as some hardware to mount my recaro/del sol seat up. Then I'll get to drive my Z into my hometown for christmas
Old 12-23-2006, 05:11 AM

Well, two poorly made Black and Decker right angle screw electric screw driver adapters destroyed themselfs on that screw... And the expensive one said it can handle up to 101 ..... oooooh in-lbs torque oops! I've a feeling its in there tighter than that

So I guess I need me a stubby screw driver, perhaps I'll be able to get enough leverage on one to get it undone that way.