280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many flashers on an `81?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 02:30 PM

How many flashers on an `81?

Cruddy chilton diagrams show 2 flashers for every ZX year that they have diagrams for.

The `82 FSM that I have only shows one flasher. I can only locate one plug/harness for a 3prong flasher under my 81's dash.

Anyone know how many flasher units the 81 is _supposed_ to have?

rx
Old 10-16-2007, 02:36 PM
The Good Twin

I suppose you are talking about the flasher RELAY right? There are two... one for the turn signals, one for the hazards.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:10 PM

I'm not entirely sure what I'm talking about

So I'm supposed to have one flasher, and 2 relays for the blink/hazard systems? Where are the relays located? Are these # 7 and 6 in the upper diagram of fsm page el-124? Those are for the headligts if I'm not mistaken?

rx
Old 10-16-2007, 03:14 PM
The Good Twin

One for the hazards... one for the turn signals = 2 total. They should be in there. We had a thread about this just a couple days ago: https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-performance-technical-79/1982-280zx-flasher-23776/
Old 10-16-2007, 03:26 PM

2 relays or two flashers?

If you mean there should be 2 flashers, I found the connector for the flasher that has the green(yellow), green, black wires to it. It was empty, so I put a new flasher in there. What color wires should lead to the other flasher?

--edit--
Did I plug a flasher into a relay socket? :-P

Last edited by rxKaffee; 10-16-2007 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:41 PM
The Good Twin

flasher = relay

PS... buy a Haynes manual.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:13 PM
The Good Twin

Scan from Haynes manual:

Old 10-17-2007, 07:19 PM

After digging and digging through the previous owner's liberal usage of green under-dash wires, I could find no second flasher spot. Once I figured out what all of the green wires went to, the wireing was remarkably similar to that which is found in the `82 FSM with only one flasher module

OEM blinker switch is completely dead, hazard switch partially dead. Bought a couple of spst switches at ratshack that I'm going to mount on the gauges' lower trim piece and use one for the left, one for the right, and both for hazard. Should take care of anything the inspection boys want to see.

There were a couple wires in the wrong places, and I had to re-pin the flasher connector for the variable load flasher I'm using. But now my in-dash indicator lamps work, and my rear blinkers work. Still nothing on the fronts. I'm not sure where to go on those. Where physically in the car do the blinker wires from the fronts meet up with the other blinker wires? Both left and right rears work... Neither left nor right fronts work.

On a side note, is the rear removal of any cables/wires necessary to slide the gauge cluster out after you disconnect the 4 front screws? It slides out a little bit, but I need to get it pulled out atleast 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch to do the work to it that I need.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:07 PM

You have to disconnect the speedo cable to remove the cluster. there should be a coupler near the firewall in the car for the speedo cable. My 81 also only has one flasher unit. Everything works though. Have you checked all the wiring at the front lights and the bulbs? If the hazard switch is bad Im pretty sure it will affect the turn signal function. try taking it apart and cleaning all the contacts with a wire brush.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:31 PM

Before you start installing switches take a few minutes and work on what you have! You can disassemble the combination switch and use fine sandpaper and a wire brush to clean the contacts. reassemble with a bit of dielectric grease and check it out with an ohm meter. The hazard switch will pry apart easily and you can do the same with it. I spent $20.00 at a junkyard for two hazards, a combination switch and a crap load of spare trim an screws. I've used the combo as practice to get both turn signals and the cruise control working. Now I've got a couple of extra hazards that are repaired and set aside. Somewhere in the links you will find that the hazard switch has to work to get turn signals.