280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

interior accessory light question

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 09:18 PM

interior accessory light question

hi i just picked up a 1983 280zx na 2+2 and im wondering, you know the air conditioner/heater unit, do the letters light up? because i cant see what it says at night. oh and the tripometer lights up but it doesnt really say anything. im not ultra concerned about it not working but it would be kinda cool to make it work. does it only turn on when the cars moving? (and yes it does at least light up.)
Old 10-19-2006, 10:28 PM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!

The a/c & heater face does light up... if it's not (and the rest of the dash lights up) then the bulb it burnt. It's 90% easy. That is: remove the vent trim that surrounds the a/c controls (should be 2 screws by the radio & 3 screws above the a/c controls). Once that is out of the way, you will need to remove the a/c controls face (8mm bolt on the right, left, and top... which is the 10% not so easy part). Once removed... replace the bulb.

As for the tripometer... what do you mean "it doesnt really say anything" ? As in it doesn't keep track of the miles?
Old 10-19-2006, 10:50 PM

thanks for the bulb info!
yes the tripometer doesnt display any numbers at all.

oh i just noticed another thing (yes im pullin an all nighter
i turned on the radio and it sounds like theres a blown speaker inside the center of the dash...is it replacable with newer speakers? and how do i get to that thing? im going to be getting a shop manual tomorrow so that should help....yes its the real deal, not a haynes
Old 10-20-2006, 03:37 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by 280zbrain
thanks for the bulb info!
yes the tripometer doesnt display any numbers at all.

oh i just noticed another thing (yes im pullin an all nighter
i turned on the radio and it sounds like theres a blown speaker inside the center of the dash...is it replacable with newer speakers? and how do i get to that thing? im going to be getting a shop manual tomorrow so that should help....yes its the real deal, not a haynes
You are going to have a blast getting the center dash speaker out, and replaced. I already went through that nightmare. And I have skinny arms, and hands, and it was still a PITA. Most people just don't replace it, the hard part for me, was plugging the wires back onto the speaker. Of course now, it vibrates, and makes noise. Because of the poor insulation. Sometime I would like to redo it. Just not until, I do my turbo swap later. Anyway good luck to you, and if you need help. I will do what I can.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:10 AM
User Friendly

Originally Posted by WildmaN
You are going to have a blast getting the center dash speaker out, and replaced. I already went through that nightmare.
LOL, exactly! I don't know if you removed the dash to get to that speaker, Wildman, but, even then it's still a pita!

On another note, my aftermarket CD player required 2+2+2, and the 1 front speaker combined with my 4 rear speakers fried the head unit, cuz it was 1+2+2 - got a replacement stereo under warranty because the instructions didn't specify the consequences of 1+2+2.

Jade's dash was already blemished beyond repair (cracks in about 4 areas along the gauge areas), so I just cut a whole in the top of the dash, ripped out that 1 speaker, then installed a dash cap to cover the hole, which is perforated (still appears to have a speaker there), and used external tweeters to make up for the other "2" to equal out the 2+2+2.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:13 AM
No Club Love

Yeah the easyest, well only way to replace these speakers is to remove the dash. But i would remember where all the vacuum lines go, this is why i don't have a heater anymore. Anyways, your not alone, i just blew all my speakers after up grading the head unit. Well good luck.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:39 PM

is there a way to just disconnect it without too much trouble?? i am totally ok with it being in there and not working, just as long as it stops farting and stays quiet.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:32 PM
No Club Love

Just unplug it if you want the fartin to stop, or just follow these instructions to remove the dash...http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techti...sion/part1.pdf . It'll be easier in the long run...