280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

radio help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 03:21 PM

radio help.

just pulled my radio from my 81 280zxnt today...

im looking into new speakers all around, and new radio, and possibly hooking up subs aswell since i got 2 just kickin around in my garage doing nothing...

is there anything i should be aware of, thats important as far as continuing my project? i havent pulled up my dash or anything, but do i need to do this in order to get to the 2 front speakers? what if i cut into the dash, could i remove old speakers that way? or do i need to go underneath any dig em out...

any tips, advice, or help would be great to be heard!!

thanks!
Old 03-21-2010, 06:45 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

you need to remove dash to get at the front two. run all new wires for the new speakers nissan used the same common for two speakers left and right. modern radios not so happy with that. get the fsm to get the wire colors you need nissan did not use DIN standard in them days. If you don't solder and heat shrink and use crimp lugs instead cut your wires all different lengths or you get a big knot full of crimp connectors all in one spot - not at all handy. you need to make a faceplate to mount in the dash or buy plastic from Crutchfield or Car Toys.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:10 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Don't cut the dash! I'd get speaker pods for the door as the imaging is horrible with the driver speaker in the center of the dash. 6 1/2 drivers will fit behind the rear seats. I use the stock wiring harness adapter (of course mine is the odd ball one so it was on backorder for almost a month - should be here next week though). Definately run speaker wires if you have a single common. The spare tire area is a good place to hide the sub....
Old 03-28-2010, 06:18 PM

well, heres the update with the radio,...still need a bit of advice.

i made my own custom faceplate out a nice piece of red oak,..painted it and custom fitted it to the original braket/radio frame...and popped in my new radio.

i cut up my original wiring harness in order to make a new connection for my new radio, ran new wires to the rear speakers,...i also hooked up my subs that i had kickin around for along time doing nothing, everything came out great and it sounds great except i have no operational front speakers,...since my wire harness is now a mess, could i just take my rear speaker wires, splice em and run new wires up to the front speakers? or should i dig into my harness again and try and figure it out?....the reason i ask is because it will b a million times easyer if i just could splice and run new wires off the rear wires.

thanks for your input and heres what it looks like case u maybe interesed...
Attached Thumbnails radio help.-radio-finished.jpg  
Old 04-18-2010, 03:14 PM

i wouldnt splice the rear speakers togather with the front for front speakers i ended up building custom door pods and mounted them to the door panel i built them out of fiberglass in about 3 days they sound great
Old 04-19-2010, 02:57 PM
Oh yeah?! Freak this!!!

I wanted to do something like that with my doors, but I thought the window motor/track/arm was right there.
Did you have to cut the door to get the magnet to fit in there, or does the fiberglass come out far enough to fit without cutting?

As for the OP. Run new wires from the head unit to the speakers. Don't use the factory stuff, or run wires from the rear speakers to the front. You won't mess up the head unit with improper impedances or crossed/mismatched wires.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:06 PM

i made the pods to fit over the outside of the door panels so the clearance inside the door isnt an issue just make shure your wires have clearance so they dont hit anything

as for the wiring i ended up running new wires from the head unit to all 4 speakers