280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 06:47 PM

Sound System

Hey guys,

I just wanted to know if i should install a sub in my 280?

I have a sub and amp from my truck i can use (just one 10' in a really nice box). Their really nice too. But the space in the trunk area is kinda limited. I wanted to know if ya'll have a sub and how it sounds. I was thinking about just getting really good speakers and speaker wire instead. But i like my bass.

What do ya think guys?
Old 09-07-2005, 06:49 PM

LOL sorry guys. i guess my mouse wheel slipped . . . . .
Old 09-07-2005, 09:22 PM

WOW. That was the longes post with the fewest words I've seen yet

Anyway, yeah if got an amp, or atleast a decent headunit, then definitely put the sub in. The open cabin of the Z is perfect for bass. HOWEVER, if you got your interior gutted down to bare metal with the insulation removed then I wouldn't recommend much of any sound system, cause it just wouldn't be worth it
Old 09-07-2005, 09:35 PM
Doesn't post much...

I've got two 10" Polk subs stuffed back there... Thump City.

Rod.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:47 PM

Oh and please ensure your license plate frame is securely mounted and vibration free. Nothing worse then someone thinking the bumping when all you can hear from outside the car is the rattle of the license frame
Old 09-08-2005, 11:01 AM

Stereo?

Z-cars are supposed to have stereos?

I don't even have speakers ... the system is going in my Mazda. Portable CD player for the Zed's tunes.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Dorifto
Stereo?

Z-cars are supposed to have stereos?

I don't even have speakers ... the system is going in my Mazda. Portable CD player for the Zed's tunes.
Yeah, I heard they used to come with these things called "cassette players" too. I couldn't believe it at first either But apparently they some how managed to play music Might want to check with one of our senior members to get the full scoop on that though .

But on a more serious note: I'll post some pics when I finish my 8 track install complete with motorized fold out record player cause you know I gotta represent with the vinyl in between bumping my 8track cassettes. And when I get that finished I'm going to install a 13" tv(the kind with the built in VCR ) so all you guys can get down with Asteroid on the Atari system I'm gonna put in the car (PS2 is really overrated for ICE). I was gonna do a laser disk install but there just so hard to find now a days!?! Oh how I miss the good old days. ThunderCats HO!

I don't know if any of that made sense as I was pulling it all from memories of when this stuff was actually still being used ( think I was still in the womb )

NOTE: It's 3am here in VA so please excuse the useless jargon I post at this time of night. I posted the useful stuff much earlier and now I'm taking myself to bed before my 2year old decides it's time to get up.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:12 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

I here you man, "Autobots transform and roll out" Optimus Prime's famous line. And I love the old cartoons especially from the '80's! They rock, and I have the original stereos in my Z's by the way. I am using the cassette player for the discman I have. I will put the discman in the glovebox. And also my friend has a laserdisc player, with a nice collection of laserdiscs! DId you know that they made them until the turn of the century? Blows the mind huh, just giant Dvd's with the same high quality. They just take up more space!
Old 09-09-2005, 06:07 AM
Z8 driver

not to mention that the LD's are a PITA to keep from getting scratched, and when a laser disc is scratched.... not a good thing (as compared to scratched DVD's that still play) I've got a few of em still.. Pink Floyd Live, Good Morning Vietnam..
Old 09-09-2005, 07:29 AM
The Evil Twin

Out of all the sound systems I have thrown around in my Z, using a good quality single 12" sub gave the best full range of bass for the amount of space it takes up in the hatch.

Two 6" in the middle of the car, and two 4" up front. The one thing you could do to vastly improve full range sound is to install front door speakers. 6" round or 6x9. The dash speakers are small and the location is off center.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:20 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

I'm so old, I used to have an Alpine 6 CASSETTE CHANGER in my Z! Actually, I think I still have it...
Old 09-09-2005, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by lww
I'm so old, I used to have an Alpine 6 CASSETTE CHANGER in my Z! Actually, I think I still have it...
Everyone bow down to our "Senior Member"

I didn't even know they made something like that. Cool
Old 09-09-2005, 09:57 AM
Doesn't post much...

6 Cassette Changer!?!?!

I have never seen or heard of one of those... wow! And I thought I'd seen it all. I would have almost killed for something like that back in '87. That is awesome.

Rod.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:11 AM

... and to think, my '79 Rx7 was supposedly "cool" because it had an 8-track player.

On that same note, my Dad had an old Mach 1 Mustang ['69 I believe] with an under-dash record player. Don't ask me how that one works.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:52 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

Just don't hit any big bumps!
Old 09-09-2005, 10:01 PM

My 65 had an 8track installed in it when I bought it It wasn't wired up or anything though. I tossed it cause it wouldn't play my CD's Speaking of Alpine tape players. Some guy tried to get me to buy one today at stoplight. A frickin' tape player. And get this, her wanted $50 for this "top of the line" TAPE player. It's Alpine, and Alpines the best. I can get a CD player from walmart for less than that! And where the hell can you even buy a tape anymore? I haven't seen those since...well, actually I think the truckstop in town has some country tapes up by the register I've installed two CD players in my Z and both have been stolen. I think it was the same guy too. One of two people that knew my driver door wouldn't lock at the time. Hmmm. And it happened in front of my apartment both times. Hmmm. I wanted to beat his *** but I'd have to prove it was him first. Coincidentally, about a week before my CD players started dissappearing he was telling my brother how he was recently released from jail for stealing stereos. A$$H@le!!!!
Old 09-11-2005, 12:22 PM

What types of stereo systems would work on a 1983 280ZX Turbo? I still have the stock head unit with casette. It still works but .... lets just say casettes are archaic at best.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:31 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by NismoZigma
What types of stereo systems would work on a 1983 280ZX Turbo? I still have the stock head unit with casette.
Any stereo that will fit in the hole & needs a 12V power source. USE YOUR IMAGINATION.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:23 PM

Thanks alot NismoPick, your like the one guy who is helping me alot. Thanks for helping a Z noob!
Old 09-11-2005, 07:51 PM

A little tip: Get one of those faceplates for the center console. It'll make putting a regular DIN sized head unit much easier to put in without having to hack anything up to make it fit.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bleach
Two 6" in the middle of the car, and two 4" up front. The one thing you could do to vastly improve full range sound is to install front door speakers. 6" round or 6x9. The dash speakers are small and the location is off center.
The 280zx i just got is going to get my pioneer cd player and new speakers to hold me off for now. I'm getting the rear speaker panel from zcarparts, putting in 61/2" speakers in the doors and replacing the stock speakers with Polk audio (good brand, i have in my 300zx hooked up to alpine amp), but i might get rid of the dash speakers. All of the speakers will be hooked up to amps. might go with alpine again. The door and behind seat speakers will be hooked up to a 4 channel and the 6x9's will be hooked up to a two channel amp. Hello ebay. This time my friend joe ain't beating me in a sound competition.

Last edited by pete8717; 10-01-2005 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:35 PM
Doesn't post much...

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
A little tip: Get one of those faceplates for the center console. It'll make putting a regular DIN sized head unit much easier to put in without having to hack anything up to make it fit.
Or, if you wanna be PIMP... Make your own out of aluminum like I did.
Attached Thumbnails Sound System-new_my280zx6.jpg