280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound System for the Z

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 01:09 PM

Sound System for the Z

Let me start by saying iv already looked around a little and skimmed through the audio thread that already exists. I realised that eventually when its actually running Im going to want some type of sterio in my ZXT. Im not talking about big, loud, heavy subs, just something thats nice and clear. I do want some bass but not so that it can really be heard outside the car, something with a nice clear hit.

Heres my biggest problem... I dont know the first the thing about audio stuff, hell I took my stock sterio out in an attempt to save a few pounds.

So if anyone can start giving me some pointers or suggestions, on what kind of head unit, speakers etc... Im going to want to acheive the sound im looking for?

I apreciate the help,
Rob
Old 06-20-2007, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by KTM200-280zxt
Let me start by saying iv already looked around a little and skimmed through the audio thread that already exists. I realised that eventually when its actually running Im going to want some type of sterio in my ZXT. Im not talking about big, loud, heavy subs, just something thats nice and clear. I do want some bass but not so that it can really be heard outside the car, something with a nice clear hit.

Heres my biggest problem... I dont know the first the thing about audio stuff, hell I took my stock sterio out in an attempt to save a few pounds.

So if anyone can start giving me some pointers or suggestions, on what kind of head unit, speakers etc... Im going to want to acheive the sound im looking for?

I apreciate the help,
Rob
My advise is, go to local stereo shops and ask to demo some stereo equipment and be sure to bring some of your own music that you are familiar with and listen to alot. Everyone has their own preferences as to how their music should sound EQ wise, so ask to adjust the sound yourself, i.e. "bass, middle and treble settings. Ask to hear the mid/high speakers without an amp and with an amp to here the differences. Ask alot of questions, like what do they suggest for your vehicle and so on. Don't let them sucker you into alot high dollar equipment and shop around before you make any final decisions. Have a realistic budget and stick to it. Take note, what you here in a store WILL sound different in your car but can give you a decent idea of what to expect.

More advise....DYNAMAT DYNAMAT DYNAMAT....get some and install it as per its instructions, this will make the inside of the car cooler and quieter and will also make the stereo a little louder by blocking out some outside road noise. Ok, now down to my suggestions on stereo equipment. Don't skimp on an amp(s) if you don't have to. It is my opinion as a former car audio installer that you can get great, clear sound from a single set of components and a single 10" sub with one 4 channel amp. If you had a 75watts x 4 amp you can bridge the rear two channels to make it a three channel amp 75x2 + 150x1 typically....see where I am going? Components are a separate mid woofer and a tweeter with a crossover, these would do best in custom panels on the lower forward part of the doors. Look at some single coil, 4 ohm 10" subs.

A head unit, I suggest something that looks good to you and has some good features like mp3/wma/atrac playback ability. Front AND rear preamp outputs are a must. Perhaps an Ipod hookup or usb. Also, check out Best Buy, they have some decent stuff as far as head units and amps like Rockford Fosgate amps at decent prices. Hope this helps you.

Prices: $100-$200 for components, $75-$250 for a single 10", $150-$350 for a 4 channel amp, $150-$250 for a head unit (CD Player)
Old 06-20-2007, 07:09 PM
Big Poppa

sony seems to be crap as far as perfect car audio, they are more into the home stuff it seems. i like jvc, it just works right for a long time. just my 2 cents.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:58 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

I wouldn't touch a head unit that doesn't have an AUX input, preferably 1/8" mini-jack on the front!
Old 06-20-2007, 09:11 PM

A speaker that I've found to be nice and clear is a brand called Polk Audio.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:15 PM

Boston Acoustics is my brand of choice.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:27 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Seriously, given the poor acoustics in these cars, almost any $150 head unit w/15w to 20w x 4 channels with a pre-amp output going to a powered 8"+ Bazooka sub will do a decent job.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:04 AM
Über User

i like eclipse head units or kenwood (excelon) and i enjoy my JBL speakers and audiobahn subs
Old 06-21-2007, 11:10 AM

Thanks for all the responses, especially THXone. That gave me a pretty good idea on what I should start looking for
Old 06-21-2007, 11:18 AM
Über User

yeah i agree with thxone to go and test, best buy has some decent head units and speakers, but as far as amps and subs, i dont trust them. id go off teh internet and order them, or tweeter or a fry's. or even try to find a strictly car audio center in your area. as for dynamat, goos stuff, will reduce all noise outside help with inside noise, but it can actually add a decent amount of weight, doesnt look like it would but it can. so if you dynamat, be sparse with it, dynamate the exhaust area (hatch floor). my car has dynamat already on the floors under each seat for some reason and i may do the hatch to. and i should also mention i like alpines barnd all around. my buddy is getting a type X sub from them.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
yeah i agree with thxone to go and test, best buy has some decent head units and speakers, but as far as amps and subs, i dont trust them. id go off teh internet and order them, or tweeter or a fry's. or even try to find a strictly car audio center in your area. as for dynamat, goos stuff, will reduce all noise outside help with inside noise, but it can actually add a decent amount of weight, doesnt look like it would but it can. so if you dynamat, be sparse with it, dynamate the exhaust area (hatch floor). my car has dynamat already on the floors under each seat for some reason and i may do the hatch to. and i should also mention i like alpines barnd all around. my buddy is getting a type X sub from them.
Yes, Iv actually heard of Dynamat and have also heard its very heavy.
I went and talked to some one at Best Buy. I told him I dont want to spend a rediculous amount of money and Im trying to be careful on how much weight I add. He showed me this 10" sub with a built in amp and then he said to get a decent head unit with some door speaker and 6x9's behind the seat. He said I wont need an amp for the speakers? Does any of this make any sense?

thanks
Rob
Old 06-21-2007, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by KTM200-280zxt
Yes, Iv actually heard of Dynamat and have also heard its very heavy.
I went and talked to some one at Best Buy. I told him I dont want to spend a rediculous amount of money and Im trying to be careful on how much weight I add. He showed me this 10" sub with a built in amp and then he said to get a decent head unit with some door speaker and 6x9's behind the seat. He said I wont need an amp for the speakers? Does any of this make any sense?

thanks
Rob
Yes, yes it does. Was it a Kenwood sub..a blue Kenwood sub? If you get a good head unit with a mosfet chip in it like pioneers have (mosfet 50) then sure, you could use that to run speakers off it pretty well. A dedicated amp will just be more efficient and sound better...usually.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:05 PM

I will do a write up tomorrow on some car audio and see if we can sticky it...might help to have some stuff right up front and answer most questions right off the bat....I will try to cover the ZX stereo wires along with some tech tips and other basic to advanced car audio info. It may take me a few days to get it all in there. I will simply call it "Car Audio"
Old 06-21-2007, 08:12 PM
Über User

he sounds like a retard to me personally, i dont like built in amp stuff, but mostly i say that becasue 6X9's arent that great for sound imo, you need to stick to a more circular shape and not add a bunch of uneccessary boxes in teh car like this guy thinks. i say go some place better than best buy and ask them the same thing.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by thxone
I will do a write up tomorrow on some car audio and see if we can sticky it...might help to have some stuff right up front and answer most questions right off the bat....I will try to cover the ZX stereo wires along with some tech tips and other basic to advanced car audio info. It may take me a few days to get it all in there. I will simply call it "Car Audio"
I agree that some type of Audio sticky should be made, thats a great idea. Id really apreciate if you could find some time to come up with something

he sounds like a retard to me personally, i dont like built in amp stuff, but mostly i say that becasue 6X9's arent that great for sound imo, you need to stick to a more circular shape and not add a bunch of uneccessary boxes in teh car like this guy thinks. i say go some place better than best buy and ask them the same thing.
That definately makes sense so when the time actually comes, since im no going to be doing this right away, im going to go to the local audio place. There a small shop but every seems to be very happy with their work.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:00 AM
NisTuner

See now what I did, is I just went for basic. I got a JVC headunit, and some infinity speakers that match up the stock size. About $100 for the 2 speakers, and $150 for the headunit. Really the sound quality was really good, was better than pretty much any stock sound system I've listened to, and did the trick. Since I'm not worried about large amounts of Bass and stuff for me this was perfect and not too expensive.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:40 PM
Über User

inphinity makes really nice speakers, but not a fan of jvc
Old 06-22-2007, 06:46 PM

I am working on my Car Audio write up....should be up tomorrow.....
Old 06-22-2007, 06:49 PM
Über User

whats there to write up? lol, car audio is EEEAAASSSYYYY!!!!!!!!!!! match wires to wires.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:02 PM

whats there to write up? lol, car audio is EEEAAASSSYYYY!!!!!!!!!!! match wires to wires.
Oh you poor poor little man. Don't worry, I am finna drop some knowledge.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:26 PM
Über User

iots a joke, i know you can go into head units watts amps blah blah blah, bridging, dual voice coils, tweeters, etc, but actually Z related, its just matching wires to wires. lol
Old 06-22-2007, 09:53 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

I'm too old to want to frighten the people in the car next to me with my mad tunes...

Installed in my 240Z all on sale from http://www.crutchfield.com :

$89 AIWA 20w X 4 head unit with 1/8" mini-jack AUX input on the front
$39 Polk 4" in the doors (the doors were already cut)
$49 Polk 6.5" in the rear stock location (custom brackets made)

I can hear it over the road/wind noise with no problem.

The most important part... run ALL NEW WIRES! New (fused) constant from the battery, new (fused) switched power from the harness and new speaker wires.

That's about all you need.

Last edited by lww; 06-22-2007 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:43 AM

I guess I don't need to do a write up......
Old 06-23-2007, 12:05 PM
Über User

give it a shot, not everyone is audio smart
Old 06-24-2007, 10:59 AM

I'm going with a Pioneer Premier head unit, a set of 5 1/4 components mounted on top of the storage boxes in back(they act as an enclosure, are easy to access, and house the crossovers nicely), and a 10" sub mounted in 1.6 cu. ft. box all powered by a 1000 watts rms 4ch. amp. I don't want ear shattering power, just crisp tunes. I'm going to run all new 12ga. speaker wires, so the scratchiness wont resurface. I'll let you know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Sound System for the Z