280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound System for the Z

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by ZYAL8R
I'm going with a Pioneer Premier head unit, a set of 5 1/4 components mounted on top of the storage boxes in back(they act as an enclosure, are easy to access, and house the crossovers nicely), and a 10" sub mounted in 1.6 cu. ft. box all powered by a 1000 watts rms 4ch. amp. I don't want ear shattering power, just crisp tunes. I'm going to run all new 12ga. speaker wires, so the scratchiness wont resurface. I'll let you know how it goes.
I have an idea of how that sub is going to sound.....like poop. If you divide that box in two you will notice it has enough airspace for two 10" subs at a little over 3/4 of a cubic foot per sub. That sub may flop a bit in such a large enclosure and the sub-bass roll-off will end up sounding hollow. Might as well put a second 10" in that box...if it is too loud, turn it down....I bet it will sound better than the one in that space. Or not, it's your stuff so do what pleases you
Old 07-31-2007, 10:40 PM

well I made my first step today. I went to best buy with my girlfriend to show her some car audio stuff I want for my Birthday this weekend. I picked out this Kenwood deck..
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1166840602373
This should be fine right? Will it work fine with the MSA faceplate?

Eventually I want to go with one small sub but for now I just want to go with a set of 6x9's and maybe another set of small speakers. Will the 6x9's put out enough bass? Not sure where Im going to put them though. Any suggestions?

thanks
Old 07-31-2007, 10:53 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

i dont care for 6x9s, or any oval woofer for that matter. you have one cone trying to fill two roles, and they distort. go with 6.5" 2 or 3 ways, or components, for mids and highs. use a subwoofer to fill in the lows. and for best sound, i suggest nothing over a 10" subwoofer. i am really happy with my JL 10w0 subs in smallish sealed boxes. low power, and good tight bass, no hollow BOOM at all. i prefer quality accurate sound reproduction over loud any day.

also, if you are planning to run the mids and highs off the headunit amp, look for speakers with an RMS power handling as close to the RMS output (22watts) of the headunit.

Last edited by entropy31; 07-31-2007 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by entropy31
i dont care for 6x9s, or any oval woofer for that matter. you have one cone trying to fill two roles, and they distort. go with 6.5" 2 or 3 ways, or components, for mids and highs. use a subwoofer to fill in the lows. and for best sound, i suggest nothing over a 10" subwoofer. i am really happy with my JL 10w0 subs in smallish sealed boxes. low power, and good tight bass, no hollow BOOM at all. i prefer quality accurate sound reproduction over loud any day.

also, if you are planning to run the mids and highs off the headunit amp, look for speakers with an RMS power handling as close to the RMS output (22watts) of the headunit.
Thats the exact sound Im looking for. I guess I might as well just do this right the first time and get everything I need. And it sounds like I'll definately need atleast one sub. Do you think a single 10" will be fine?

As far as speakers how many will I need? I was thinking of getting a set of set of regular 6.5" speaker and a set of components. Im just no sure where to mount them. Im guessing I shouldn't mount the compenents in the stock location behind the seat because from what I'v read the tweeter needs to be facing you? But to my knowledge thats the only stock speaker location other then under the dash?

If somebody could please tell me exactly what speakers, amp and 10" sub I should go with id greatly apreciate it. Like I said for some reason I have the hardest time trying to figure out audio stuff and trying to match everything up is driving me crazy.

thanks
Rob
Old 08-01-2007, 08:42 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by KTM200-280zxt
Thats the exact sound Im looking for. I guess I might as well just do this right the first time and get everything I need. And it sounds like I'll definately need atleast one sub. Do you think a single 10" will be fine?

As far as speakers how many will I need? I was thinking of getting a set of set of regular 6.5" speaker and a set of components. Im just no sure where to mount them. Im guessing I shouldn't mount the compenents in the stock location behind the seat because from what I'v read the tweeter needs to be facing you? But to my knowledge thats the only stock speaker location other then under the dash?

If somebody could please tell me exactly what speakers, amp and 10" sub I should go with id greatly apreciate it. Like I said for some reason I have the hardest time trying to figure out audio stuff and trying to match everything up is driving me crazy.

thanks
Rob
how much are you looking to spend?? i am a fan of Infinity for speakers, the Kappa line if you have the bucks. if not, the Reference series are very good for the price range. i like JL for subwoofers, though i am not familiar with the current line. i am very happy with my 10w0's, but they are discontinued.

components consist of the midrange woofer, a remote mount tweeter, and a crossover. the woofer does not need to be aimed right at you, but the tweeters should be located so they have an unobstructed path.

one 10" sub should be fine. i actually ended up taking one of mine out. due to the nature of how sound works, double the subs does not equal double the sound.

oh, and dont piddle money away on StreetWires or any of that overpriced garbage for amp wiring kits. just go get the wiring from Wal-Mart. its the same damn stuff.

Last edited by entropy31; 08-01-2007 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Über User

i would just use a larger closed box for 2 10" inphinity subs, they can both hit hard but are very clear. my subwoofer was a single HUGE vented box and though it hit amazingly hard where the back of your eyes actually tickled, during techno style music where the bass lines are quik, you could hear how behind the bass actually was and kinda ruined the beat a little bit.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:53 PM

how much are you looking to spend?? i am a fan of Infinity for speakers, the Kappa line if you have the bucks. if not, the Reference series are very good for the price range. i like JL for subwoofers, though i am not familiar with the current line. i am very happy with my 10w0's, but they are discontinued.

components consist of the midrange woofer, a remote mount tweeter, and a crossover. the woofer does not need to be aimed right at you, but the tweeters should be located so they have an unobstructed path.

one 10" sub should be fine. i actually ended up taking one of mine out. due to the nature of how sound works, double the subs does not equal double the sound.

oh, and dont piddle money away on StreetWires or any of that overpriced garbage for amp wiring kits. just go get the wiring from Wal-Mart. its the same damn stuff.
E, thanks again. I'v been specifically looking into Infinti and Boston Acoustic speakers but Boston may be a little to pricey. Should I go with a set of regular 6.5" speakers with a set of of 6.5" components speakers? Or will just the components due? Like you said the Infiniti Reference line isnt quite as nice but on Crutchfield I can get a set of 6.5" reference 2 way speakers and a set of 6.5" reference components for only $180, which sounds really good to me. And I would be able to run these off my head unit right?

Then they also sell and Infiniti 10" sub with a built in amp, which would be nice as far as making mounting easy. And I want to be able to take it out whenever I want when I go to the track.

Let me know if this all makes any sense to you?

Once again I apreciate the advice.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:59 PM
Über User

no dont get built in amp stuff, who cares, you can just screw the amp to the back of the box then its like one unit.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:40 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
no dont get built in amp stuff, who cares, you can just screw the amp to the back of the box then its like one unit.
go sit in the corner snw. bad advice.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:34 AM
Über User

how is it bad advice? its most likely going to be under powered and i wouldnt want my amp built into teh speaker, thats alot of vibration goin on.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:51 AM
Ruff Ryder

for once i have to agree with snw, the built in amps are all usually under powered and are almost certain to die with any large amount of bumping..
Old 08-02-2007, 08:20 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by hoov100
for once i have to agree with snw, the built in amps are all usually under powered and are almost certain to die with any large amount of bumping..
decent ones perform their function properly. fill in the bass, take up little room, and easily be removed for whatever reason. not everyone feels the need to have their stereo heard down the block more than in the car. the subs i use are 10" that have a 125w RMS. they sound great IN THE CAR, which is where the sound SHOULD be. some of us prefer sound quality over the ability to force our crappy music choices on everyone else.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:30 AM

decent ones perform their function properly. fill in the bass, take up little room, and easily be removed for whatever reason. not everyone feels the need to have their stereo heard down the block more than in the car. the subs i use are 10" that have a 125w RMS. they sound great IN THE CAR, which is where the sound SHOULD be. some of us prefer sound quality over the ability to force our crappy music choices on everyone else.
What would you consider a decent one. I was looking at one of these Infinity ones,
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-7ZUZjA8...0&I=108BASSLIN
or...
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-7ZUZjA8...0&I=700BASS4CH

And if the built in amp is a bad idea, this was the only sub/amp package Crutchfield had that had a sing 10" sub. Would this work fine?
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-7ZUZjA8...0&I=700BAZTUBE

thanks
Rob
Old 08-02-2007, 08:31 AM

Also.. Im having trouble figuring out what size speakers to get and where to put them. I know I want to put a set of 6.5" components behind the seat but I dont know if just those will do? How big of a speaker can I fit under the dash?

thanks
Rob
Old 08-02-2007, 08:37 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

i have always liked infinity products, though i have not heard those ion person. never really liked the bazooka stuff, they all sound a bit hollow and boomy. but really, it's up to your ears what you like. go to a couple stereo shops and listen to stuff. pick what sounds good to you. its all subjective.