280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Stripe or Not To Stripe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 01:56 PM

To Stripe or Not To Stripe?

So as soon as my mods are done with the Mustang (Hopefully by the end of the month) I want to start on the Datsun paint job ASAP.

I'm going to be keeping the stock Gold paint, don't want to start to disassemble the car anymore than I have too. As well as the cars not in that bad of shape, unfortuanetly its got spider cracks on all top surfaces, but that'll be about all of it.

Question is though, from a sales outlook. I was wondering should I go with a racing stripe(s)? Either two centered stripes or one offset stripe. I guess one center stripe is also an option. I figured the racing stripe to either be black or a dark gray.

Still not sure whether I'm keeping the car or not afterwards. While I'd love to have the stripes. Not sure whether it'd give hurt it or add to it in the long run price wise. With a paint job the car would be very presentable and I'd think I could turn a profit on it.

What ya'll think?
Old 06-13-2005, 05:56 PM

I vote for the stripes being in the center. Offset wouldn't look as right, esp. considering the center hump in the hood.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:53 PM

you should just repaint it the original color
Old 06-13-2005, 10:21 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

No stripes. I definitely don't like strips on a gold car. Especially a gold Z car.

They look good on a Mustang, but they just aren't right on a Z. Unless it's BRE style stripes.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:18 AM

What are BRE style stripes?

Good point on the offset stripe. That would look funny with the center hump.
Guys at work say stay the original color as well. Just don't dig the gold that much. Thought some stripes might take away from it a bit.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:41 AM

No No No No No No No Stripes! Stang, Cuda, Chevelle, Yes! Zx...nnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-14-2005, 09:06 AM
Z8 driver

don't know about BRE stripes either... I saw a set of stripes on a Z that looked cool.. it was one fat stripe in the middle with a very thin stripe on each side of the big one. wish I could remember where I saw it.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by lessthanjabo
don't know about BRE stripes either... I saw a set of stripes on a Z that looked cool.. it was one fat stripe in the middle with a very thin stripe on each side of the big one. wish I could remember where I saw it.
heres one like that may be the same one, it also has a scoop and a V8
Old 06-14-2005, 01:04 PM

The only top of the car stripe I've ever seen that looked half decent, are the one's the cover the whole power hump, and go straight back from that, not in front of the hump. like this one here http://www.klearz.com/lens_temp/z_car.jpg This one looks NICE!
Old 06-14-2005, 01:16 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Yeah I agree on that, it does look nice. Not too blingy, just the right amount of just a touch!
Old 06-14-2005, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by WildmaN
just a touch!
Exactly man!
Old 06-14-2005, 03:08 PM
Z8 driver

yep beatiful Z...

notice the guy with the V8Z on the post right under my last one... horrible feedback, I wouldn't trust this guy..
Old 06-14-2005, 03:42 PM

it seems everyone that gets a vw, has an automatic, i dont understand. is it like hard to do manual with those? i would want to control everything no matter what
Old 06-14-2005, 08:46 PM

It's not hard to do, it just requires a little fabrication because the mount isn't available (that I know of). The V8 produces so much torque in such a little car that someone got the crazy idea it would just be universaly accepted to put the 700-R4 in it(retard). I guess the V8 is mostly geared towards a drag car, so the automatic is preferable. I personaly can't stand an automatic trans. I feel out of touch with the car. But then again, I'm more of a road race kinda guy, I'm not really into drag racing. Not enough fun for how much you put into your car. I'll take a less powerful car that can handle than a high HP monster that can only go straight any day of the week. But that's just my opinion. That's why my engine swap is geared toward weight distribution, and not ultimate power.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:41 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Hey I agree that is what the muscle cars are for. The Z is for the cornering and all around speed. And I agree on having an automatic sucks. I like to feel I am controlling the rpms.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:30 AM

this car > http://home.earthlink.net/~fubar_x/280zx%2025.jpg < looks pretty damn good with a stripe.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:35 AM
S13 or Z32?....decisions, decisions.

Well, i know this is an old post, and i'm not one to bring up old subjects, but I think the stripe would look nice, offcenter the better. My friend ownes a white 280zx w/ a black stripe down it, theres two pics Here I think you should check it out, their toward the bottom of the page.

Sorry again bout bringing up an old post.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:45 PM
The Evil Twin

ya, not bad looking.
For myself I prefer the clean, one color look.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:39 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

I go for the one color look too, but if it has to have a stripe, off-set is the way to go, but I wouldn't put it all the way to the side like your friend did. I would put it half way between the center and where your friends is.

Anyway, something that has always bothered me on these is that damn gap between the front edge of the hood and the top edge of the bumper.

How does anyone else feel about this? Or am I just a picky bastard?
Old 07-21-2005, 02:59 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Hey lww I think mainly why the gap is there is because of the way the hood opens. And the rubber piece usually takes care of the gap. And it doesn't look as bad, I guess. Just my 2 cents
Old 07-21-2005, 03:53 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

If I didn't know it wasn't necessary, I would have agreed with you.

But I know it isn't...

I've done extensive measurements and the hood will clear the center bumper mount by more than an inch when swung open.

The only time I can see it not clearing is if there was previous front-end damage.

I can tell you, there is less than a 1/8" gap between my hood and my front bumper as a result of the hood modifications I've done... and damn it looks good...
Old 07-22-2005, 03:13 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Allright that's cool man, I am still learning. I believe you, when you say it clears. I never really paid attention to the gap. And I bet your hood does look better, now that you lessened the gap.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:32 AM
The Evil Twin

Yup, I don't like the gap either. Actually the stock bumper doesn't have much of a gap. The MSA fiberglass bumper causes more problems and a larger gap... Skully modified his bumper to lessen the gap. I was thinking of doing something in that area on my car but I'm still not sure what to modify... the hood or the bumper.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:27 AM

I'd modify the bumper just for the fact that it doesn't move.