280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want your opinions please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 12:12 PM
Doesn't post much...

Want your opinions please.

OK, another MSA show related question for you guys.
As you see below, I have my center grill piece currently painted red to match the calipers. I liked it at first but now I'm not too sure. Should I leave it red, or go back to black. I think the red might be too "Ricey" and I don't want to feel like a foolio at the show.

Let me know what you guys think.

Rod.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:52 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

i dont think the red looks ricey. it fits your color scheme, and isnt overdone. just a nice little accent.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:33 PM

I say black. Your car has WAY too much black to have that red grill. The grill just kind of stands out to me. Which takes away from it being an accent and makes it more of an eye catcher. What do you want people to notice more: Your black car or your red grill? I agree it's not ricey. I just like the all black look.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:08 PM

looks like a tongue...(black)
Old 03-23-2006, 04:20 PM
Doesn't post much...

Yeah, when I did it I was looking for "accent" but I think it's kind of a distraction. Of course, now that it's painted red I'll have to strip it back down to the surface and re-paint it black, or buy another one to paint black. If I paint over the red, every rock chip will show through to the red underneath and that won't be good .

I think I will make it black again. I want to try and get the interior fixed up a little more before the show too. I really need to get my new seats installed. I just haven't been motivated enough to make the brackets for them. Those cheesy seat covers over the badly worn factory seats just don't cut it anymore... not to mention the fact that I have now ripped about 10 shirts and 5 pairs of pants on the wandering spring that every now and then decides to poke through!

Rod.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:41 PM
Big Poppa

i never even noticed the red before lol. i say black too, and those new seats will be nice, do they have any accents on them?
Old 03-23-2006, 07:34 PM
Doesn't post much...

Originally Posted by SHADY280
i never even noticed the red before lol. i say black too, and those new seats will be nice, do they have any accents on them?
The new seats are red leather with black trim... I guess it's kinda good that some people never noticed the red grill before. That must mean it wasn't over the top. Still, I think I like black better.

Of course what would look even cooler would be if I ever get my body kit installed and all you would see there would be a giant Front Mount Intercooler!

The turbo swap won't happen for a while still though and the body kit will have to wait until I'm ready to drop it off at the body shop again and spend a crap load of money. It's going to MSA this year with it's fair share of dings, scratches and blemishes. It's all good though, becuase it is a true "daily driver" and will be entered as such. I don't know too many other daily drivers that can compete. I'm sure there will be some though. I don't plan on bringning home any prizes. It's all for fun and commradery anyway. However, last year at the Temecula Z car show mine was BY FAR the best daily driver there and I got flat out skunked. The contest was rigged! It just happened to be that the same club that sponsored the show had three guys from their own club take home 1st, 2nd and 3rd places that day... Sonsabitches!

Rod.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:50 PM

You talking about the show at the Nissan dealership there in Temecula Rod? I've been to that show a couple times, not the most impressive show. I haven't been in a couple years though (since I left CA). If the cars were anything like they were when I went then I'd say you definitely got the shaft. When I was going though the spectators and participants got to judge.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:53 PM
Doesn't post much...

^ Yeah, that's the one... I'm tellin' ya... IT WAS FIXED!

Here's a pic from that show two years ago...

Rod.

Last edited by RodMoyes; 03-23-2006 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:00 PM

Ah, good ol' Temecula. I miss that place. A lot of good times there
Old 03-23-2006, 09:15 PM

I like it red. I think it is just enough to break up the all black. Hardly noticeable at all. It don't jump out at you and say " LOOK AT ME " It is just enough to give a little flair. I vote to keep it red
Old 03-23-2006, 11:04 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Same here Rod, keep it red, I have always liked that little bit of red mixed with the black. It also looks great with your hood emblem with the red painted Z symbol.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:52 AM

maybe I'm just biased cause I dont like red on cars
Old 03-25-2006, 10:09 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

Black.....
Old 03-25-2006, 10:14 AM

i hate red ! but in your car it makes the car stand out more it might be enough to catch that judges eye... i would say keep it on there.. looks good to me.. i wouldnt call u ricey unless u had a CRX with a just promed body kit with stock black wheelz and the interior has been degutted... lol
Old 03-25-2006, 10:30 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

At MSA, there are no judges. It's a people's choice award which is why some of the 'least?' best cars win on occasion. as Rod mentioned at the Temecula show, the club with the most attendees generally votes in a block to skew the results...

I don't go there for the award, I go there to meet the people in person I talk to all the time on the boards and to see what others are doing to their Z's that I should avoid and some that I should look at as possibilities for my cars.

With the way work has been going, I may be making another trip to MSA in the Honda...

I would drive the 240z, but it doesn't have an intake, exhaust manifold, distributor, or radio...
Old 03-25-2006, 12:09 PM
Doesn't post much...

I really hope your car is ready to bring down here this year Wade. I'd really love to see it. Good luck with it.

Rod.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:38 PM
Big Poppa

oh god, not the radio. lol
Old 03-25-2006, 09:25 PM

I had to drive cross country with no muffler or radio all by myself The tick still isn't gone and the doctor said I may never be normal again
Old 03-25-2006, 09:26 PM
Big Poppa

to me that would be the best drive of my life. i turn off my radio all the time, just to hear the motor.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:30 PM

It's not so bad for a few hours or if you've got somebody to talk to.

But two days straight will start to mess with your head

And not having a radio wasn't even the bad part. It was not having a muffler that was driving me insane And with no 5th gear she was screaming the whole way.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:31 PM
Big Poppa

im already messed in the head!!! hey j you in stealth mode, your not on the list!!!
Old 03-25-2006, 09:32 PM

I'm aerodynamically invisible
Old 03-25-2006, 09:36 PM
Big Poppa

i.c. my friend has one of those
Old 03-25-2006, 09:39 PM

Yeah dont get me wrong, I love the sound of my car. But you know what they say, you can only handle so much of a good thing.

Quick Reply: Want your opinions please.