280ZX Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

www.zspecgarage.com-part 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 02:40 AM

hehehe......well then just send pics to me...i dunno how to work with CF anyways
Old 12-05-2005, 03:15 PM
From NY to AZ

The last MSA catalog i got has a bunch more CF parts for the 240 - 280z cars. Still nothing for us ZXers but i'm sure they are working on those. You've got to get rolling on your stuff and get your parts done first before MSA comes out with the same (though very overpriced) stuff!

ps. i think i'll be ready to send you some things in a few weeks
Old 12-05-2005, 04:05 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Actually, if you can establish your business before MSA gets into the market and you can manufacture at the quantity / quality they want, they'll use you as their supplier... for about a year. Then, they'll take your parts and have their own guy make molds off them and they'll cut you completely out of the loop.

Seen it happen twice already.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:59 PM
Bleach is my Hero

Originally Posted by lww
they'll take your parts and have their own guy make molds off them and they'll cut you completely out of the loop.
Lets hope it doesn't come down to that cuz then I would definetly "Invest" in Zspec so MSA cant have a monopoly on the Z community
Old 12-05-2005, 08:30 PM

I was actually thinking about distributing through MSA at one point and have even contacted them about it. Never heard anything back and decided the only way I'm going to make a name for myself is to go at it alone. By alone I mean without MSA. I still need all you Zer's If it wasn't for you guys this thing wouldn't be even close to happening. One of you in particular. You know who you are
Old 12-05-2005, 08:32 PM

Oh yeah, plus I'm using MSA as my main source of pricing. So far everything I've estimated is far less than what they're putting their stuff out for. So I figure if i can't beat them to the punch time wise, I can still beat them in pricing. They have to source their stuff from other companies so on top of what the original company is charging them, they still have to make a profit too. So I can eliminate all that extra cost and charge a lot less and probably have a better product judging by what I've seen from their suppliers thus far
Old 12-07-2005, 07:31 PM

Hey J check this out yah its a honda but it looks pretty cool
http://blog.gtroc.com/dino/as1.jpg
Old 12-07-2005, 07:32 PM

Heres some better pics of the car the rear looks pretty interesting how the exhaust comes out the rear bumper
http://blog.gtroc.com/dino/2005/05/amuse_s2000_gt1.php
Old 12-07-2005, 07:41 PM

J, I think he's hinting at a widebody S130 ... -wink wink nudge nudge shove shove-
Old 12-07-2005, 10:35 PM

You know how much I want to make a widebody kit. I got a feeling it's gonna start snowing out here soon though. And thats going to eliminate any outdoor activities for a while. It's gonna be tight enough trying to get my current body kit project done before I gotta wait for the snow to melt. I hear the winters out here are pretty mild though so I can probably work on it off and on. I wanted to have a widebody kit on my Z in time for MSA but I don't know if that's going to happen. I gotta lot of other stuff to make right now and then who knows what after that. I still gotta get started on the TTops for the 280zx and I'm trying to source some Z32 tops to make some carbon ones for too. I also got to get those 2+2 tops from you too D Probably right after Christmas if you still got em. Right now I'm working on some minor small parts and a fiberglass hood and a full carbon body kit. It's not my own design. I'm just reproducing a kit for somebody and they want it in carbon.

Also, if anybody wants to know how much it would cost to make somthing (final cost) then just give me a hollar and I'll let you know. I can do stuff for other Cars too but you gotta supply the original parts. Right now I'm working on some engine covers for a VW so the skys the limit. Every thing is still in the prepping stage, which is the longest and hardest part, so no pics yet. But rest assured as soon as these parts come out of their molds you guys will be the first to see them. And if you want carbon start saving your money now, cause carbon is really getting hard to get. I have to wait two weeks in between orders cause supplies are so short. And Carbon/Kevlar is even harder. Ttops are on the top of that list for the S130 and Z32 chassis' though.

Oh, and on the car above: It's got a very Super GT look to it. If you plastered it with sponsership logos and a colorful paintjob it would look just like a Super GT car. I'm not a big fan or the rear fenders though. The exhaust part is trick. I like the front fascia too. The kit overall though looks a whole lot like their FD kit does.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:48 PM

Oh and by the way, I've got no problem making a wide body kit for sale. The thing is, who's gonna step up and buy one. We are talking about a lot of money here. Probably somewhere in the neighborhood of $2000.00 plus shipping. That's carbon of course. You can knock a real good chunk of that off for Fiberglass. And that's not even for a widebody kit. If you want to throw fenders and what not into the mix then you add another chunk of change to that price. Again, fiberglass would lower the price signifigantly. Just shop around online for prices for stuff like this.

Just look at it like this: The cost of a fiberglass widebody kit is probably more than what 75% of our 280zx members paid for their cars. A carbon widebody kit: probably more than what 99% of our 280zx members paid for their cars And I'm not trying to be discouraging there either. But a body kit is a huge project to undertake and the only reason I'm undertaking one already is because I've already got an order for one. I planned to make one eventually but that's the only reason it's happening so soon.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:03 PM

J, just to let you know - and I know you know this - I would drive out to VA, cash in hand, for a widebody. It's actually one of the first plans I have for my '82 slicktop [since I can't use your T-tops, I might as well splurge somewhere else along the line ].
Old 12-08-2005, 08:59 AM

Thats exactly what I like to hear. I'm still undecided on a style to go with on the wide body theme. Zer's tend to have a different taste than your typical tuner cause of the originality of the Z's lines. I want to do something that inhances the Z's current lines but still makes the car more aggressive looking. I'll have a wide kit for you guys eventually. I gotta take it one part at a time though.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:17 AM

I'll buy alot of your smaller parts when you get em done. Like the heat shields and other stuff. But since I can all ready work fiberglass, then the body kits would need to be fiberglass. Or the front end at least. Since I know I smack my driveway everday, There is just no etting around it. I'll need to be able to fix it myself. Shipping a front end accross the country for a repair, is just not very practical for me. Especially since I put a gouge or crack in my front end once a month. And putting a little piece of glass on the back of a crack, and filling the front with a little filler, is a whole lot easier. Especially since all my cracks and gouges are right on the bottom. Hoods would like carbon, but fiberglass is okay too.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:29 AM

yeah smashing up your brand new carbon fiber air damn just wouldn't be any fun. I've thought about making Kevlar versions too cause they'll survive the impacts better than carbon or glass would but wouldn't be quite as light as carbon.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:44 AM

see, I know a little about carbons and glass. The problem is, is that carbon and glass get there strength from not bending. You can't put your finger on a piece and push it down. Like go out to your car and put your finger on the door, for example. Push in with your finger and the metal stretches in ward. Now do that to glass or carbon and it will not stretch in or out. It will only crack. With enough pressure of course. It is just it's makeup. I am not saying I know everything, I know a little bit. But if you know a way to make it more resitant to break then for me that would be a huge selling point. Or if not worth the time or effort, or not cost effective then I would like one fiberglass please. Oh also when do we get to see the design of the front end??

Oh, and when are the real fun parts coming ?? Like this Http://Zdriver.com/forum/attachment....achmentid=4132
Old 12-08-2005, 09:50 AM

A Carbon intake for the in - line 6. Would look So beautiful.

I would not even put a hood on. I'd probably get into a accident looking at thing while driving.

( grabs stick ) back, back, I get first, Back ****'s, back
Old 12-08-2005, 09:56 AM
Bleach is my Hero

Originally Posted by Lost Vegaz
Oh, and when are the real fun parts coming ?? Like this Http://Zdriver.com/forum/attachment....achmentid=4132
See J.. I told you that would sell.. haha..
Old 12-08-2005, 10:30 AM

Yeah Vegaz the intake is still in the theory stage but it's definitely something we're thinking about doing. It'd be something really limited though because of the production process I've come up with so far. As far as a bumper thats not going to destroy itself goes: Kevlar would definitely be the best material for that. Stiffness is good in structurual applications and parts that you don't want a lot of flex but in areas like the airdamn stiffness quickly turns into the enemy. See with Kevlar you can make the part with less material and still keep it stronger than a glass part. By using less material you increase it's flexibility. And Kevlar isn't too expensive. Not compared to carbon anyways. It's a little more than glass though but less of it is needed. Like Carbon, if you needed as much carbon to make something as you need glass then not only would it end up being heavier than the glass piece but it would cost enouch to put your kids kids into poverty The resin has a lot to do with it too. Too brittle and it's prone to cracking. Too flexible and it could end up pulling away from the stiffer reinforcement. Of course nothing is going to be destuction proof but Kevlar would definitely help. If you've ever watched an indy race and seen a car after an accident and you'll see that its smashed up but there's flaps of stuff dragging parts along. THats the Kevlar. Only the resin fractures, not the Kevlar itself. THere are drawback to Kevlar though: 1)it ugly so it has to be painted just like glass. 1) its no stiffer than glass 3) IT CAN NOT BE SANDED. Glass and carbon can both be sanded. Kevlar will turn to fuzz if you try to sand it. So repairs can get touchy. But repairing the kevlar itself isn't something you would have to do often if at all. You just have to be carefull when sanding the resin that you don't hit the Kevlar and everything is all good. I'm going to experiment with some Kevlar lips first and test those for impact resistance. I'm going to try different resins to see what works best and if I like what I end up with then I'll start making the kits in it too.

Last edited by jfairladyz; 12-08-2005 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:34 AM

pics of your front end ??????
Old 12-08-2005, 10:37 AM

Not Yet. Patience
Old 12-15-2005, 09:43 PM

Alright, I'm just about done with my first plug. It's all painted up, I'm just waiting for the paint to thoroughly dry before I start wet sanding it. Then it's just polishing it up and I'll post up some pics of a finished plug for you guys. This part probably wont go on sale any time soon cause it needs ALOT of testing done first but it's for a customer who's willing to put it through it's paces and see if it will make it as a part I'll sell. I've spent the last week and a half doing nothing but prepping parts so they can be used as plugs. Now, I'm finally finished with one. I'm gonna let it dry all day tomorrow and I should have some pics up for ya Saturday or Sunday. As far as what the part is: well you're just going to have to wait.

And you'll get a chance to see just how shiny paint can get without a clear coat.

Last edited by jfairladyz; 12-15-2005 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:48 PM
Bleach is my Hero

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
Alright, I'm just about done with my first plug. It's all painted up, I'm just waiting for the paint to thoroughly dry before I start wet sanding it. Then it's just polishing it up and I'll post up some pics of a finished plug for you guys. This part probably wont go on sale any time soon cause it needs ALOT of testing done first but it's for a customer who's willing to put it through it's paces and see if it will make it as a part I'll sell. I've spent the last week and a half doing nothing but prepping parts so they can be used as plugs. Now, I'm finally finished with one. I'm gonna let it dry all day tomorrow and I should have some pics up for ya Saturday or Sunday. As far as what the part is: well you're just going to have to wait.

And you'll get a chance to see just how shiny paint can get without a clear coat.
You need to hurry up... That customer I heard is sooper impatient
Old 12-16-2005, 05:58 PM

I'm going as fast as I can. Not that it matters. I'm going to get all the plugs done and that damn compressor probably still wont be here. Got an email from UPS and the black pigment is in the mail so the overlays are on the way. For anyone who didn't understand any of that, well give it a few days and it will all be explained With pics
Old 12-16-2005, 06:09 PM

Does anyone have a drivers side A Pillar they'd be willing to donate to a greater cause. I only need the top part so if you've got a broken one that will do to. I've got a really good idea for pillar pods but I'm missing my driver side Apiller. THe passenger side is there, but not the driverside Oh, I can cover shipping and will trade a finished guage bezel (when finished) for the donation.

Quick Reply: www.zspecgarage.com-part 2