280ZX Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Light Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 07:52 PM

Brake Light Trouble

Hey I was wondeing if anyone could help me out with a problem ive been having. I recentley purchased a 1983 280ZX and whenever I turn the car off the break lights continue to stay on unless I turn off the battery. ANybody know a possible diagnosis or way I could fix this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:09 AM
East Coast Style

Dominic, Your problem is your brake switch on your pedal. If you feel on the pedal arm you will find a switch if you push the switch in the lights will go off if you let it out they will come on. What happens is where that switch touches the pedal arm there is going to a hole with a little rubber button pushed in it. This rubber button over time becomes hard and brittle and usually breaks out, thus causing the brake switch to not be depressed when you let off the brake. Its an easy fix, go to your local dealer and tell them you need a brake button and they will hook you up. It is not expensive and should fix your problem. Also for you guys with cruise control it works the same way. There is another switch on the brake for CC that when you hit the brakes it turns the cruise off. If the button is missing here the cruise will not work. I have never seen a cruise system worn out only the brake switch not working.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:41 AM

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by EZDUZIT
Dominic, Your problem is your brake switch on your pedal. If you feel on the pedal arm you will find a switch if you push the switch in the lights will go off if you let it out they will come on. What happens is where that switch touches the pedal arm there is going to a hole with a little rubber button pushed in it. This rubber button over time becomes hard and brittle and usually breaks out, thus causing the brake switch to not be depressed when you let off the brake. Its an easy fix, go to your local dealer and tell them you need a brake button and they will hook you up. It is not expensive and should fix your problem. Also for you guys with cruise control it works the same way. There is another switch on the brake for CC that when you hit the brakes it turns the cruise off. If the button is missing here the cruise will not work. I have never seen a cruise system worn out only the brake switch not working.
Ok Thanks For All Your Help And I will see wha I can do im takin it in tomorow after I get my wisdom teeth takinout ugh