280ZX Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Boot Failure w/ Rack and Pinion

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 05:15 PM

Power Steering Boot Failure w/ Rack and Pinion

See sig for my car. I got to looking under the hood and noticed that the driver side boot for the power rack and pinion was torn. I know it needs fix, but is this a do now, or do later. I have a lot to do to the car so it would be driven very little, but if this is a imminent problem I will fix ASAP.

On a side note, WIKI made it look like power rack and pinion did not co*me(even as an option) until 82. Is this a mistake on WIKI's side? Is this rack and pinion?

Please see attached pictures to get a better look at torn boot.

Thanks,

Also, why did it give a rejection of 30 for the word co*me.

-Jordan
Attached Thumbnails Power Steering Boot Failure w/ Rack and Pinion-dscf0357.jpg   Power Steering Boot Failure w/ Rack and Pinion-dscf0358.jpg   Power Steering Boot Failure w/ Rack and Pinion-dscf0359.jpg   Power Steering Boot Failure w/ Rack and Pinion-dscf0360.jpg   Power Steering Boot Failure w/ Rack and Pinion-dscf0361.jpg  

Old 08-02-2009, 05:32 PM
eff good grammar

come is censored? we'll see i guess.

i say do it soon, boots are cheap, that should be something easily done by your self

as for the power steering option thing i have seen 79's with rack and pinion, weither or not they were swapped was something else but rack n pinion shoulda been available before 1982
Old 08-02-2009, 06:07 PM

Well just checked the ZX spec page in general tech page on this forum and got the following:
------------------------------------------------------------
STEERING
Datsun equipped the 280zx with two types of steering systems: Recirculating ball and Rack & Pinion. The 280ZX came in both power and manual steering.
79-83 Manual Steering: Rack & Pinion. 3.5 turns lock to lock.
82-83 non turbo & 81-83 Turbo Power Steering: Rack & Pinsion. 3.2 turns lock to lock.
79-81 non turbo Power Steering: Recirculating Ball. 2.7 turns lock to lock.
------------------------------------------------------------
My car is N/A, built 3/81 and is power assisted rack and pinion??

How are the local auto parts stores for carrying Z parts?
Old 08-02-2009, 06:55 PM
The Evil Twin

You will find that all the general auto parts stores (Shucks, Kraegon, Napa, Autozone) will have the wrong part listed for the power rack boots. The boot you get will not fit over the inner tie rod end to clamp down.
I tried so hard to get it to fit but never could. I even boiled the rubber in hopes of it stretching more. I finally took it back and checked with other parts stores. They all listed the same part.

Nissan is the only place to get this part and its not nearly as cheap. If you don't replace that part soon, your rack's seals will go out and it'll start leaking badly.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:56 PM
The Good Twin

81 was an inbetween year. Maybe they mixed & matched? My 81 came stock w/ recirc ball steering. I swapped in rack & pinion while doing the turbo swap.

Come isn't censored but com (as in .com) is for spam prevention. At 10 posts you are no longer monitored. I think I need to make a sticky on that....
Old 08-02-2009, 07:21 PM

Bleach, Thanks for the warning, mines' been out for years, but it doesn't get driven much and is manual so it's not as big a deal. I'd figured it would be easier to do when I could stand where the engine still is and do it. Was kinda waitin for the change for that, now I'll know to have it in hand ..
Old 08-02-2009, 11:26 PM

Thanks for the info Bleach, it will be replaced before it see's another mile.

Any real way to tell if this is a swap, or if it came stock?
Old 08-03-2009, 12:47 PM
eff good grammar

well i am about to go the junk yard and i'll see if i can find 2 z's with the different power steering that i can take pictures of for comparison so you can tell.

from what i can tell on yours its rack but i also dont have to go much on so i am only 50 on that
Old 08-03-2009, 01:25 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Why hasn't anyone said this!? Do you have a power steering pump? If you do, you have power assisted rack and pinon. if now the your have NON power assisted rack and pinon
Old 08-03-2009, 03:11 PM

I know for a fact it is power steering, but my confusion is mostly centered on it being power rack and pinon on a 81, which everything I saw made it look like was not available in that year.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Question, Are you saying 81 as in the manufacture date or what the title says?
And I wouldnt be shocked if someone swapped it in either. its not much of a big deal other then when you have to buy parts for it. Just say its an 83 when you have to buy a boot for it
Old 08-03-2009, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by jtschmitz
I know for a fact it is power steering, but my confusion is mostly centered on it being power rack and pinon on a 81, which everything I saw made it look like was not available in that year.

I saw a Power steering line going into the same area the steering shaft went into, but couldn't see enough to say for sure whether it was r/p or r/b.
It should be pretty obvious. The recirculating ball setup mounts on the frame and sets up above it, and is big, cast iron, and ugly. The R/P mounts to the k frame and is aluminum and not particularly obnoxious.

Edit, this is stupid, r/b ball type doesn't have that boot. It's power r/p.

Last edited by bojo68; 08-03-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by BlueKitsune
Question, Are you saying 81 as in the manufacture date or what the title says?
And I wouldnt be shocked if someone swapped it in either. its not much of a big deal other then when you have to buy parts for it. Just say its an 83 when you have to buy a boot for it
Title say 81, Manufacture date on care says 3/81.

Bleach, I need to get it straight from Nissan? Nobody sells a OEM replacement online?
Old 08-03-2009, 07:10 PM
eff good grammar

Originally Posted by BlueKitsune
Why hasn't anyone said this!? Do you have a power steering pump? If you do, you have power assisted rack and pinon. if now the your have NON power assisted rack and pinon
cant go on that, theres 2 types of power steering but use pumps (obviously) thats what we are trying to figure out
Old 08-03-2009, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Niku-Sama
cant go on that, theres 2 types of power steering but use pumps (obviously) thats what we are trying to figure out
Yes, but, his unit has a pressure line going in, and recirculating ball types don't HAVE that boot, so the only thing it CAN be is a power rack and pinion.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:02 PM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by jtschmitz
Bleach, I need to get it straight from Nissan? Nobody sells a OEM replacement online?
From my research nobody sells an aftermarket part that works. You will need a Nissan brand boot. You can find online sources to buy Nissan brand parts. Courtesy Nissan and Nissanparts.cc are examples. Maybe even Motorsportauto. zcarparts.com
Old 08-04-2009, 12:43 PM
eff good grammar

Originally Posted by bojo68
Yes, but, his unit has a pressure line going in, and recirculating ball types don't HAVE that boot, so the only thing it CAN be is a power rack and pinion.
i know this blue was saying if it has a pump its gotta be rack n pinion but thats not the case
Old 08-19-2009, 11:24 AM

Well got a boot ordered, OEM locally... Should I be applying any grease when I replace the boot. It seemed to lose quite a bit but i'm not sure on the rack and pinion.