280ZX Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

U-jointed Axle Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 08:17 AM

U-jointed Axle Question

'83 280ZX 2-seater 87k miles
I am trying to diagnose a squeak (still), and I was wondering if anyone could help me picture what is going on underneath my car as I drive. Squeak details: Persistent loud squeak when in gear, but only when coasting (not during accel.). Also pretty loud when in reverse regardless of accel. When the clutch is engaged the squeak immediately goes away (not present when out of gear and coasting either).

1. Concerning the two axles with u-joints coming from the diff. They spin when I am in gear right? How about when the clutch is pressed? How about when I am coasting in gear?

2. My book says there is an inner bearing in this axle. Has anyone replaced this (difficult?), or heard of it causing loud squeaks? If this bearing is shot, should the squeak go away when it is used even more, as when in acceleration?

3. Does anyone suspect anything beyond what I have mentioned? I have changed gear oil in the diff., and replaced rear wheel bearings. sigh
Thanks in advance, aloha.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:03 AM
Bleach is my Hero

I recently did my whole rear end https://www.zdriver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12605 I just had the bearing pressed off, and the new ones in.. It does cause squeaking if they are dry, then eventually a rumble/popping with metal shratnal all over the inside..You dont wanna go that far though trust me...
Old 06-30-2005, 05:33 PM

Sounds kinda like your throwout bearing in your clutch. The accel and decel thing may just be the amount of stress the bearing is under. My experience with rear ends, is that the bearing usually makes a "roaring" noise when they are worn out or dry. Also, with the u-joint, I have never heard one "squeak" as you say. They are not under very much stress, they just sit there and create that flexible joint. My vote is on the throwout bearing.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:23 PM

I agree with ryan, I've never heard a wheel bearing squeak. If it gets to the point where they can squeak, it'll probably hit the shrapenal stage first. A dry wheel bearing is a spin out on the freeway. Yeah baby. I ignored the signs of a aging wheel bearing once, brushed the noise off as out of balance wheels. Until the wheel locked up on the freeway and sent me into a spin. Fun, but I don't recommend it to you at home. I'm not saying they CAN'T squeak, just never heard it personally. Have heard them scrape with the load removed though. Also with the U-joint, not likely to squeak either. Maybe in really short burst if it's worn down until its placed under load, but not consantly. I would definitely inspect your clutch, mainly the throwout bearing like mentioned above. Is it more of a scraping squeak,like breaks, or is it squeaking like a urethane bushing?
Old 07-03-2005, 05:35 PM
Bleach is my Hero

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
I agree with ryan, I've never heard a wheel bearing squeak. If it gets to the point where they can squeak, it'll probably hit the shrapenal stage first. A dry wheel bearing is a spin out on the freeway. Yeah baby. I ignored the signs of a aging wheel bearing once, brushed the noise off as out of balance wheels. Until the wheel locked up on the freeway and sent me into a spin. Fun, but I don't recommend it to you at home. I'm not saying they CAN'T squeak, just never heard it personally. Have heard them scrape with the load removed though. Also with the U-joint, not likely to squeak either. Maybe in really short burst if it's worn down until its placed under load, but not consantly. I would definitely inspect your clutch, mainly the throwout bearing like mentioned above. Is it more of a scraping squeak,like breaks, or is it squeaking like a urethane bushing?
Thats wierd mine just threw out the ***** on the outer and gave my rim a nice mettalic flake look Oh and the wheel was one stud from falling off..