280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

280zx is idling!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 02:44 PM

280zx is idling!!

hey everyone! this is my first post on here.
im glad to be on here though! im on a few other forums for my corolla. thats my main bitch hahaha.
well anyways i just acquired a new old japanese car cant complain... its a 280zx!! i think 82?? not so sure, this 90 year old lady gave it to me haha.
i had to push it to my house because she said there was fuel pump problems,
come to see that the fuel pump had to power or ground connected, i conntected them charged the battery, gave it a little gas. and it turned over and idled for about 10 seconds before it died.
ecstatically i think that oh its just not ran in ten plus years. so i try again, but when i try to give it gas the car just dies..
NOW; this car is EFI, i have never touched a efi car. im all carbs all day
im thinking the timing is correct and all the vacuums are hooked up right, so im wondering what you all think i should start too look into first??
and info you can all give would be amazing thanks!!
Old 08-27-2011, 02:48 PM

btw!! here is a picture of what the car is going to look like,
those are some 13x8 inch wheels that are on my corolla.

enjoy
Old 08-27-2011, 02:53 PM

Also!!!

i know your all going to say something horrible about this,,
but i cant for the life of me find the flippin oil dipstick!!! where is it!? haha
Old 08-27-2011, 03:17 PM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!

Nice find. Are you trying to run it w/ 10 year old gas? It will never run right... drain it & give it new gas. You probably need to change the fuel filter & spark plugs too.

The 280ZX efi is as simple as it gets... nothing complex about it.

The dip stick is on the passenger (right) side of the motor, under spark plug 5 & 6. Pretty hard to miss.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:17 PM

Welcome to Zdriver. NismoPick will probably swoop in here soon and solve all of your problems soon, but here are my suggestions. I recently purchased a z that was sitting for a bit longer than yours (15 years), and it also had problems with stalling, or idling too low. Here is what I did to get it running better:

1. new filter
2. new fuel pump (sounds like yours is running strong)
3. new fuel pressure regulator (obviously do a pressure test first)
4. check gas tank for rust. My tank was so rusted, that it would clog the delivery system and cause the engine to stall or sputter till it dies. You can check the gas tank for rust just through the trunk/storage area. there is is an access panel there underneath the padding and carpet with 2 screws, and then you can access the sending unit by undoing some hoses and screws. You could also check where you put the gas into the tank. If that is rusted, it might mean that water has run down into the tank and rusted.
5. disconnect your fuel line from the intake on the fuel filter, and the out on the fuel pump and blow some compressed air in there to dislodge any obstructions, and get the old varnished gasoline out.
6. use the search feature! These cars have been around for 30 years. You can almost always find the answer to your question in the old forum posts.
7. post pics! we always like to see the z!
Old 08-27-2011, 03:19 PM
The Good Twin

^^^ hehe... you da man.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:07 PM

righton! i dont know how i missed the dipstick.. i seriously couldnt find it, nor could my friend lol...

and yeah! im deff going to start with the fuel supply. i doubt the tank is rusty. this car has been sitting in the sun its whole life.
thanks again! ill post some more pictures of progress when its rollin around town