280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

280ZX Turbo bucking and poping under boost

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 08:37 PM
Doesn't post much...

There is a BIG difference between fuel PRESSURE and fuel FLOW VOLUME. You could have all the pressure in the world, but if it's at too low or too high of a VOLUME, it's going to cause issues. I think that as usual, J was on the right track when he said that the proposed problems were more likely to cause a RICH condition under boost than a LEAN one. Again, I'm not a turbo expert, but the symptom SOUNDS to me like it's an over-rich on boost conidtion... Just my 2 cents.

Rod.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:38 PM
The Good Twin

If the fuel pressure is fine, it's that damn AFM...

This problem is the same one I was having, but a lil less extreme. As soon as I would touch the throttle, it would lean out BAD. I messed w/ the cylinder head temp sensor & when it was unplugged, it wouldn't idle, but would rev great... I finally gave up & did the Z31T ecu swap.... Runs better that she EVER has before. Here's my thread on the prob: https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-performance-technical-79/l28et-running-too-lean-17450/

It's that AFM... adjust it, check the harness connection to it, and swap it w/ a spare.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
There is a BIG difference between fuel PRESSURE and fuel FLOW VOLUME. You could have all the pressure in the world, but if it's at too low or too high of a VOLUME, it's going to cause issues.

Rod.
YES YES YES ..ROD AT LEAST YOU ARE GETTING IT !
Old 07-27-2006, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by 81 Black L28E
YOU SHOULD F#$% OFF YOUR SO WRONG . .

ok first RELAX and no need to be rude at all..hes trying to help...

CAN AN ADMIN DELETE THESE USELES BANTERS (including this post by me) i really dont like seeing **** like this being said from one member to another. thanks.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Doesn't post much...

Originally Posted by NismoPick
If the fuel pressure is fine, it's that damn AFM...

This problem is the same one I was having, but a lil less extreme. As soon as I would touch the throttle, it would lean out BAD. I messed w/ the cylinder head temp sensor & when it was unplugged, it wouldn't idle, but would rev great... I finally gave up & did the Z31T ecu swap.... Runs better that she EVER has before. Here's my thread on the prob: https://www.zdriver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17450

It's that AFM... adjust it, check the harness connection to it, and swap it w/ a spare.
I'm just gonna throw this out there... you can take it... you can throw it right back. (Ron Burgundy)

Maybe it's different on the turbo cars, but everytime I've had an AFM issue, it made my car run too rich...

Rod.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:02 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
I'm just gonna throw this out there... you can take it... you can throw it right back. (Ron Burgundy)

Maybe it's different on the turbo cars, but everytime I've had an AFM issue, it made my car run too rich...

Rod.

Baxter... You know I don't speak spanish... in english!

I know it was my AFM causing the lean condition, because I would bump it, move it, adjust it... whatever, and it would run good, then crappy again.... I think the actual connection started to crap out.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:08 PM

YOU SHOULD F#$% OFF YOUR SO WRONG . .do you have a jsk rail ? HAVE YOU EVER OWNED ONE .DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT RICH OR LEAN MEANS .DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THESE CARS NEWBE ..YA I DIDNT THINK SO .**** OFF

I WILL BETT $100 DOLLARS IF YOU PUT MY FPR ON YOUR MOTOR BLEACH AND THEN TURN IT UP TO 37PSI SO THAT WHEN REVED I HITS ABOUT THE 42PSI MARK THEN TAKE IT FOR A RUN ALL OF THE PROBLEMS WILL BE GONE !!

j REMBER WHEN MY CAR WOULDNT RUN ..I LEARNED ALL ABOUT FUELING THESE CARS..
TRUST OLD BLACK ..I AM RIGHT !
Actually what V said was pretty spot on. If his gauge says he's running a certain pressure then he's running a cetain pressure. It's not about knowing "these" cars. The only thing knowing "these" cars does for you is allow you to point out the more common problems. It doesn't make you any more mechanically inclined. An internal combustion engine is an internal combustion engine. If you can trouble shoot one then you shouldn't have much trouble shooting the next.

Heres the problem with the rail theory: First off, I'm assuming Bleach is running a turbo fuel pump or it's equivilant (or better). That means he has more then enough flow to pressurize a JSK fuel rail. Now no matter how much fuel VOLUME is in that rail, the injectors will only flow so much fuel. The injector are NOT capable of outflowing that rail. Period. So it doesn't matter how much fuel is in that rail as long as the rail is pressurized (at capacity). The pressure in the rail is what determines how much fuel will get by the injectors for a given duration. And just so long as the fuel pump can keep that rail pressurized no matter what the duty cycle of the injectors then the rail is not going to cause a problem. Now since Bleach is still running the stock fuel injectors it would stand to reason that the stock fuel pressure setting are more then adequate to make stock boost. Also since the FPR is AFTER the rail it would in no way affect the amount of fuel flowing into the rail. So again, his fuel PRESSURE is most likely NOT the problem.

And for the record, Veynyl actually seems to pretty much know what he's talking about judging from posts I can recall.

Last edited by jfairladyz; 07-27-2006 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:12 PM

Hey Bleach, if I offended you by suggesting to check or double check the clamps on the pressure side of things then I am sorry...I felt it was valid to this problem as your symptoms were very similar to mine. Also even though my post are "BELOW 500" I know it cost nothing to check or double check a connection or clamp and usually can be done in a matter of seconds or is that a "FOOLISH" thing to do?

I know I am new to 280zx's so no, I do not know all there is to know about them and I don't "think" I do just because I own one. However I have had many auto's and have worked on all of them myself, a couple of which were turbocharged. I did take some time to learn about all of the vehicles I have had over my 18 years of driving so I will say I have some experience and knowlege of some things when it comes to cars, trucks or motorcycles. I don't think of myself as totaly "CLUELESS." Even so this does not make me a know it all nor do I think MY suggestion is the only valid one.

Sorry guys for posting a suggestion...I thought that was what Bleach was looking for by posting this thread. I can't say I am not a little offended but that was pretty rude to say.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:41 PM

YOU SHOULD F#$% OFF YOUR SO WRONG . .do you have a jsk rail ? HAVE YOU EVER OWNED ONE .DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT RICH OR LEAN MEANS .DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THESE CARS NEWBE ..YA I DIDNT THINK SO .**** OFF

I WILL BETT $100 DOLLARS IF YOU PUT MY FPR ON YOUR MOTOR BLEACH AND THEN TURN IT UP TO 37PSI SO THAT WHEN REVED I HITS ABOUT THE 42PSI MARK THEN TAKE IT FOR A RUN ALL OF THE PROBLEMS WILL BE GONE !!

Newbe? I've been here longer than you. Perhaps you should go back and learn some more.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:53 PM
Snazzy Title

Two day temp ban for acting like a 2 year old and being insulting to those that are trying to help with a difficult problem.

Old 07-27-2006, 09:55 PM
Snazzy Title

In the end if you think it's fuel pressure buy a cheap fuel pressure gauge, temporarily hook it up and tie it to the windshield wiper with a tie wrap. Then go for a spin while you drive and someone watches it.

That'll make it pretty obvious if you are having fuel pressure problems.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:58 PM
Snazzy Title

There is nothing to apologize about, if anyone needs to apologize it's the other guy. But he's in a 2 day timeout for now.

Originally Posted by thxone
Hey Bleach, if I offended you by suggesting to check or double check the clamps on the pressure side of things then I am sorry...I felt it was valid to this problem as your symptoms were very similar to mine. Also even though my post are "BELOW 500" I know it cost nothing to check or double check a connection or clamp and usually can be done in a matter of seconds or is that a "FOOLISH" thing to do?

I know I am new to 280zx's so no, I do not know all there is to know about them and I don't "think" I do just because I own one. However I have had many auto's and have worked on all of them myself, a couple of which were turbocharged. I did take some time to learn about all of the vehicles I have had over my 18 years of driving so I will say I have some experience and knowlege of some things when it comes to cars, trucks or motorcycles. I don't think of myself as totaly "CLUELESS." Even so this does not make me a know it all nor do I think MY suggestion is the only valid one.

Sorry guys for posting a suggestion...I thought that was what Bleach was looking for by posting this thread. I can't say I am not a little offended but that was pretty rude to say.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:04 PM

Hey I am not mad at anybody, I was just a little offended...but hey it's all cool with me.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:09 PM
Snazzy Title

I don't think you were the only one offended by his statement hehe.

Originally Posted by thxone
Hey I am not mad at anybody, I was just a little offended...but hey it's all cool with me.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:26 PM

I am good, no worrys. So has anyone got to the bottom of Bleach's problem?
Old 07-27-2006, 11:31 PM

all...i want him to do ...is that vacuum leak test...please...please....like it says in that website...please man,
Old 07-28-2006, 01:20 AM

Wink To "Black"

Hey brother, I think you have a nice car and your vid was cool too of your sliding around. I do think you have an anger issues though, but hey who doesn't at times. I apologize and would like to continue to read your post cause I think you have interesting things to say. You are right, you do have the right to say whatever you feel like saying but what you say may offend others...I know I wanted to go off myself at you but I do not know you or your story and it would not help the situation by me being belligerent. I know when I know for a fact that something is causing a problem I stick to what I think also and I think that is what you are doing, there is nothing wrong with strong convictions. But there are better ways to get your point across...don't you agree. I am not telling you what to do or say, this is a free country...I hope if and when all this passes we can all drink some beer and laugh about it.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:05 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

this is a privately owned and operated site. you agreed to certain terms when you joined. there is no freedom of speech here. if you violate the terms, you get your posts deleted and your account banned.

thread closed.