280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

82 turbo no spark fuel pump not priming

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 08:45 PM

82 turbo no spark fuel pump not priming

Ok, so im on a quest to get this 82 turbo running before i drop the engine in my 79. I got the engine cranking just fine but I'm not getting any spark from the coil, and the fuel pump isn't kicking on when i turn the key to the on position. I hear the chime go for about 5 seconds and i can hear a relay up in the dash kick off when the chimes stop. I haven't tried running 12v direct to the pump yet ( got dark and cold lol). My main concern is the no spark issue. The car came with two ignition modules and I've tried both of them. The coil is good for sure as i tried it on my other Z and it fired right up. Now for the sketchy stuff...
The ecm was sitting in the floorboard hooked up but not mounted when I got the car, and theres a 2 pin connector right next to the ecm plugs that isn't hooked up. I don't get a green light from it at all, either with the key on or cranking. Is there a way to test those ignition modules on the car? Maybe grounding one of the wires that plug into the module while power is on to see if it makes the coil spark? the wiring that goes to the ignition module looked kinda sketchy. I do have power to both sides of my coil i just cant get the module to collapse the field and get the coil to spark... If someone has a good pic of the wiring going to the coil and module on an 82 I'd really like to have a look.
This was the only thing that scared me about doing this swap... My 79 has simple wiring under the hood. No power accessories, no cruise, no nothing... This turbo has a ton of stuff under the hood that my 79 doesn't and I'm kinda at a loss. I've been reading the fsm for a couple hours now and truthfully my head hurts lol. Please someone help me get this thing running
Old 12-04-2012, 10:21 PM
The Good Twin

Did you check the fusible links?
The turbo coil bracket must be securely grounded before it will spark.
Above the ecu is the fuel pump module. It must also be grounded for the fuel pump to kick on. Also check the fuel pump relay.

Lastly, there are turbo swap write ups...
Old 12-04-2012, 10:35 PM

ok ill look into the fuel pump module. What does it look like? Pretty much everything on the driver side where the ecu was mounted is hanging lol. What about the ecu led nit lighting up? does that mean it's bad? I have the pictures of what the coil wiring is supposed to look like now on my phone so ill go out there and wire it up like it's supposed to be when i get a chance. Coil bracket is grounded good and im pretty sure i hear the fuel pump relay kicking off when the chimes stop ringing. Gonna pull the dash out too when i get a chance so things are easier to get at. I'm not even thinking about doing the swap until i get it running in the car its in now.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:59 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Doomfinger
ok ill look into the fuel pump module. What does it look like?
It's a bare metal box with an angled top... right above where the ecu mounts... can't miss it if it's there.

What about the ecu led nit lighting up? does that mean it's bad?
Check fusible links to make sure the ecu is getting power... no ecu power = no led light = no spark.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:07 AM

Just got back from storage. checked the fusable links and I have power to both sides. I pulled it off and checked both sides with a light tester. tried hooking up the fuel pump straight to a battery and it just sparked so I think it's seized up. Still no green light on the ecu. I have a guy coming up today from st George with my z31 ecu, harness, and distributor so I'll attempt getting that installed soon and see if I can at least get spark. Still looking for the maf sensor though.. if I can get spark I can figure out the fuel problem. oh yea, the fuel pump module was just hanging there too lol. I can't wait to get this in my car so I'm in clean familiar surroundings..

:edit:
Just got the z31 ecm, harness connectors, and complete distributor for 60 bucks. now to source a working maf!

Last edited by Doomfinger; 12-05-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:41 PM

z-31 maf

Just got back from storage. checked the fusable links and I have power to both sides. I pulled it off and checked both sides with a light tester. tried hooking up the fuel pump straight to a battery and it just sparked so I think it's seized up. Still no green light on the ecu. I have a guy coming up today from st George with my z31 ecu, harness, and distributor so I'll attempt getting that installed soon and see if I can at least get spark. Still looking for the maf sensor though.. if I can get spark I can figure out the fuel problem. oh yea, the fuel pump module was just hanging there too lol. I can't wait to get this in my car so I'm in clean familiar surroundings..

:edit:
Just got the z31 ecm, harness connectors, and complete distributor for 60 bucks. now to source a working maf!
I have a MAF for a Z-31 if that's what you're after.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:54 PM

yea I'm gonna need it. let me see what funds are like Friday. How much are you asking?
Old 12-06-2012, 01:51 PM

got my z31 stuff the other day. went to storage earlier and hooked up the ecu in the turbo parts car and I'm getting diagnostic led's lighting up on the z31 ecu! so I guess the 280 ecu is fried. I might pick up the maf sensor for the z31 this weekend. we get 30 percent off this week at work so I can get a new one with a lifetime warranty for around a hundred bucks, unless someone has one they will ship me for way cheap. hopefully this weekend I can get some spark and hear her run, but progress is good no matter how small lol