280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 11:28 PM

Air conditioning

Hi I have recently gotten a 280zx 82 and the air conditioning doesnt work. The fans are working on the system and im wondering if there is a way to figure out what i need, ie just a regassing problem or such.
when i went to get a quote they said something about 'old' gas being really expensive and used on cars pre 1994?

Any informaiton would be much appreciated.

ali
Old 01-09-2006, 01:26 AM

Yeah these old Z's (and all cars of pre 94 or 95) ran on R12. Well it's now illegal to manufacture R12 so it's getting really expensive and cant be bought by the average do it yourselfer. Even those who can legally buy it have to buy it in fairly large quantities compared to how you can buy r134a (which is the stuff used in todays cars). As far as whats wrong with your A/C: What are your symptoms? It's just not blowing cold? If thats the problem then the first thing you should do is turn the system on full blast and the check out the compressor with it running (engine must be running too). The compressor clutch should be engaged. To tell just look at the front of the compressor pulley. The center of the pulley should be turning with the belt. If it's not then the compressor is not pumping any refrigerant. This can mean a couple of things. Either you've got a bad pressure switch or theres no refrigerant in your system. Either way, you're going to have to take your car in to have the system evacuated. R-12 is not a do it yourself deal unless you've got a vacuum pump and a pressure tank. If the compressor is turning then you simply need to take the car in to have the refrigerant recycled. DO NOT let the shop do this unattended. When they pull the refrigerant out of the car check to see how much is pulled out. Refrigerant doesnt really go bad, it just needs to be recycled. Then they can put what they took out right back in the car. Then they should only charge you for ref. if they need to add any extra. Dont let them try to tell you that they cant reuse it. They're full of crap. The only reason it cant be reused is if it's contaminated with dirt or metal flakes (not likely in a sealed system). They can really rip you off there if you dont watch that cause R12 is expensive and they know it Since you're getting the system evacuated you might as well have the reciever/drier replaced cause if the refrigerant needs to be recycled then that probably needs to be replaced as it's usually the cause of the ref. going bad.

You can check for voltage to the compressor clutch. If you've got voltage and the compressor still isn't spinning then it's the clutch and that can be done from your garage with hand tools. No voltage then follow one of the procedures above.

Its late so I dont how clear all of that was. Just ask again if there's anything I didn't hit on.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:06 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Also there is stuff called Freeze12, that replaces R12. I have used it on my Celica, and it blows nice and cold. Well until my compressor decided to freeze up. Anyway I know you can get it about anywhere, you might want to look into it. And don't think I am stepping on you J, I just know it works, so I am sharing what I know about it. But you take it all the way and more. You are like a walking typing Z-lopedia. LOL!
Old 01-09-2006, 02:41 AM

I've never used that stuff before. I've heard it mentioned on here before though. It was probably you then too I wonder that stuff is made up of? Hmmm...
Old 01-10-2006, 11:23 PM

I looked at my engine and I couldnt really see what you were saying. I took some pictures and tried comparing my engine to the Datsuns book i have. Apparantly i think there is a tube/pipe missing on the right of the gas thingo?

I have pictures below incase someone can easily see a/the problem.

cheers,
Old 01-11-2006, 01:24 AM

Oh yeah thats BAD. Theres supposed to be a refrigerant line there. I guess you know what your problem is now atleast. Any AC shop can make you a line to go there. It'd be cheaper than trying to source an OEM new (if you even can). You're also going to need to replace the reciever/drier which is the canister in the pic that the hose is missing from. Once it's exposed to atmostphere its useless. Make sure you take it to a shop and have them pull a good long vacuum on it before you try to charge it. It's been exposed and so now taht is absolutely neccessary. R12 is really expensive and seeing how as you're missing a hose you're going to need to fully charge the system. You might want to look into the stuff WildmaN suggested as it would definitely be a cheaper route to go. Depending on how long your system has been exposed like that though you could have a good deal of corrosion in your system which can destroy just about every part of the A/C system. If this is the case then all the money you pay for antifreeze is going to be wasted.

If I were you I would scour some junkyards and find a ZX with a charged AC system (if you can cause that means the parts werent exposed to air and moisture and so wouldn't be corroded) and pull all the components off of that. Or you can try to get them new or rebuilt (compressor). But I wouldn't even waste the money on charging the system after it's been left open like that. Any corrosion in the system will just contaminate the refrigerant and the compressor may even be corroded which would render it useless. If it were an r134a system then I would say F it and just give it a charge and see what happens. But R12 is EXPENSIVE and its not worth having to do it twice. It's winter anyways so you might as well try and gather up some new components.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:02 AM

haha its actually 42 degrees and the middleo of summer, but thanks so much. looks like im pretty screwed. I really dont wanna spend too much money on my baby because i dont know how long i'll have it.... I guess ill just bare it... thanks so much guys
Old 01-11-2006, 10:19 AM
Doesn't post much...

Originally Posted by war_ali
haha its actually 42 degrees and the middleo of summer, but thanks so much. looks like im pretty screwed. I really dont wanna spend too much money on my baby because i dont know how long i'll have it.... I guess ill just bare it... thanks so much guys
For the "Aussie" impaired, when he said it was 42 degrees he meant Celsius which is almost 100 degrees to us, and yes... In the Southern Hemisphere it is in fact the middle of summer. Probably not a lot of junkyards "down under" for him to source 280ZX parts from specifically, but I'm sure there are plenty of other Nissan models laying around with similar enough layouts that he could scrounge up what he needs... Rod.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:12 PM

Oh damn, I didn't even realize you werent in the states. My Bad. Good luck all the same though.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:36 PM

air conditioning, screw ac, just drive faster. I forgot what ac was like, None of my cars has ac, but the wifes car does, and now my new civic does too. I'll just have to wait till summer and remember to turn it on. Not used to such luxeries.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
For the "Aussie" impaired, when he said it was 42 degrees he meant Celsius which is almost 100 degrees to us,
ha! 100f? its closer to 108. we have real heat down here .

Last edited by war_ali; 01-12-2006 at 12:26 AM.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:02 AM

108, ha, last summer we had all most 2 straight weeks of 115 +. We now how to cook in vegas. Screw the grill, just throw the burgers on the side walk