280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

antifreeze

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 05:46 PM

antifreeze

i have a 79 280zx and i wana put antifreeze in but i have no idea how many gallons it takes to fill...i dont want air bubbles so i need to know if i have a problem. can anyone help? thanks!!!
Old 07-29-2004, 03:47 AM
Under My Car... brb

Is the system empty? Are you trying to pressure test? Anyhow, to eliminate airbubbles let the engine idle until it's at temp. This will allow the thermostat to open. You'll know when it does as the coolant will start to flow. If the block and radiator are full there will be a minimal level drop or possible overflow. If there is a large drop in level, say half way, in the radiator fill it slowly until the flowing coolant is topped off. You can put the cap back on all the way and the system should start to pressurize. If you have any leaks this is when you'll find them.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:00 PM

i was flushing out the radiator and putting in new antifreeze...i cleaned it all out with water by running some threw it adn letting it all drain out...when i put new in i dont want air bubbles...should i just let it idle while pooring some in? thanks for the help
Old 07-29-2004, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Graham_Creager
when i put new in i dont want air bubbles...should i just let it idle while pooring some in? thanks for the help
yes all you do is put as much as it can go without overfilling
start the car and let it run, thermostat will open and start to circulate....all the bubles in your system will come up to the top, gonna look like its boiling...
every time a bubble pops your level will go down and then you add some more...do that till no bubbles come out...get a rag handy so when bubbles come up they tend to spill over a lil bit...
Old 07-30-2004, 07:38 AM

thanks very much for your help!
Old 07-30-2004, 09:17 AM
The Evil Twin

I would just fill it, drive it to work one day, and then let the engine cool and top it off... itsn't that good enough?
Old 07-30-2004, 05:09 PM

Good enough...but not as messy!!!!
Old 08-03-2004, 06:21 AM

i put ruffly g. in my car...dose this sound alright?