280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car stumbles on takeoff

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 10:12 AM

car stumbles on takeoff

Alright guys, here is the problem. I recently bought a Z that had been sitting for about 8 years in a field. We got it running, and it drives, but from a stand still, you get on it, and it has no power. It is really quite slow, and i am dissappointed. What is going on with it. It is a 79 280zx, n/a manual. It also backfires quite a bit. I know we need to do the timimg on it, but what else can we do? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:18 AM

Location: Houston Tx. Cleveland Tx. New Caney Tx. and every other Tx.
first off, I will tell you if that thing sat for what 9 years, the injectors are dirty, roten gass will do that. so I would probably hook up a test light and see wich cylender is not firing right, then I would replac plugs and wires if that dosn't do it maybe it is the injectors. if so, the injectors are about $75 a piec. I am not saying that these are your problems but I would check it out.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:59 AM
Super Siver & Black Stud

first while the car is idling check to see if the injectors are firing.. get a long screwdriver and place the point of the screwdriver on the injector and the butt end of the screwdriver to your ear.. listen for a lound ticking.. if it ticks.. its working.. check all injectors to see if theyre all working.. if not clean the terminals.. next check your timing... also clean the terminal to your throttle posistion switch.. you can also disconnect it and see if it runs better with it off.. you might also have a sticky Air flow meter.. that can also ause your car to stumble... also check for any vacuume leaks.. make sure that the rubber boot from your throttle body to your AFM is tight and have no leaks...
Old 08-10-2004, 10:59 AM

ok, sorry, should have given alittle more info. We replaced the plugs, wires, and injectors. All the plugs are clean when you pull them except the 6th cylinder, which is black(maybe an exhaust leak). Also, the boot between the AFM and the Throttle body has a small hole. Could that cause the problem? We are waiting for the new boot to arrive from California right now.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:43 PM

yes cracked boot can give you hesitation problems same for any other vaccumm leak!
Old 08-11-2004, 08:48 AM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by Skully
yes cracked boot can give you hesitation problems same for any other vaccumm leak!
Yes, Vaccume leak is not a performance modification!
Old 08-11-2004, 10:08 PM

alright, replacing the boot did nothing. In fact, now it runs worse, and now wont start unless we take the hose off the top of the boot. So we have a problem getting air? Possibly the Air flow meter is bad? got any more suggestions?
Old 08-11-2004, 10:35 PM

it could be AFM
you can check by eaither opening up plastic box and seeing if the pin moves on the afm or just look inside the afm and see if the flap moves...try opening the flap with a screwdriver while trying to start it...
all in all check if it opens up when you start the car...check the connections coming to it also
good site to test AFM
http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/index.html

Last edited by Skully; 08-11-2004 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:38 AM

WOW! What a great site. Thanks for the advice and the site. I will see what I can find out tomorrow, and let you guys know what happens.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:40 AM
The Evil Twin

Now that the boot is sealed, you may have to open up the idle circut. There is a screw-type adjustment for the idle. It is probably turned all the way down due to the previous vaccum leak. Back it out (counterclockwise) a bit and see if that lets it start easier.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:04 PM

No guys, you need to start from new. I had the EXACT same problem as you, you guys are getting too far ahead of yourselves. You need to go through the gas tank and freshen it up. disconnect the outlet from the fuel pump and turn the key ON, this will cycle the fuel pump and pump all the old gas out. Be sure to PUT IT IN SOMETHING! I used a garbage bag because I ran out of milk jugs. WALK to the gas station and buy a couple gallons of premium and go back to the car and put it in the tank AFTER YOU CONNECT THE FUEL PUMP AGAIN. This will let you get to the gas station with the car. Now fill it up ALL THE WAY with premium because you'll need it, the cat **** octane fuel left over in the tank will dilute it. Now drive it and see if it's better. If not, you have to pull the pickup out of the tank and clean the filter inside the tank. I had to do this.

I'll tell you, I had the same exact problem and the above steps are what I did to fix it. Good luck
Old 08-16-2004, 09:44 PM

smartman3000, that sounds like a good idea, but know I have a bigger problem. Everybody go to my new thread, because I am going to need a new thread for this problem.