280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch and flywheel questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 06:37 AM

clutch and flywheel questions

my clutch in my 81 280zx is slipping.
im looking for a really nice, smooth, and reliable clutch for replacement.
anyone got any info on experiences on aftermarket clutch kits or improovements?

2nd question is a stronger, lighter weight flywheel.
are they worth it, and if so, where and what should i be looking at for one of those?

the clutch is more important though, but if you have info on flywheel too, let me know. Thank you very much.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:40 AM
Usedta be Justin260z

I wouldnt get a light weight flywheel for normal, every day driving. I would just re-surface the stock one if it looks bad.

Just go to your local parts store and get a nice organic oem replacement. Most of them have a decent warranty.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by justin260z
I wouldnt get a light weight flywheel for normal, every day driving. I would just re-surface the stock one if it looks bad.

Just go to your local parts store and get a nice organic oem replacement. Most of them have a decent warranty.
my oem one is fine, im just wondering if a liegherwieght one would be worth it for performance. since they claim to be 50% lighter wieght and 50% stronger than oem. and therefore make engine be more responsive.

but besides that, you wouldnt have any ideas or knowledge on aftermarket clutches would you? if you did that would be very helpful for me, as i know very little. and am striving as a begginer.
but it all takes one step at a time.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:11 AM
The Good Twin

^^^ 2nd what Justin said. Lighter flywheels are not for daily driving (and if anything, are weaker, not stronger, than stock).

As for clutches, unless you plan on digging into your clutch daily for hard launches, stock will hold up fine. If you want a tighter / more grippy clutch, there is a wide selection to choose from. I have a Centerforce Dual Friction & it grabs like crazy no matter how many hard launches I do, but it took me 2 installs before I realized (and they didn't mention this) that you have to shave the flywheel bolt heads to allow for the extra deep clutch disc.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
^^^ 2nd what Justin said. Lighter flywheels are not for daily driving (and if anything, are weaker, not stronger, than stock).

As for clutches, unless you plan on digging into your clutch daily for hard launches, stock will hold up fine. If you want a tighter / more grippy clutch, there is a wide selection to choose from. I have a Centerforce Dual Friction & it grabs like crazy no matter how many hard launches I do, but it took me 2 installs before I realized (and they didn't mention this) that you have to shave the flywheel bolt heads to allow for the extra deep clutch disc.
okay, well when i drive it. i do alot of hard launches
anything i should avoid as far as certain brands or types of clutches? or is anything pretty much safe to run?
Old 10-05-2009, 03:38 PM

i run a dxd stage 1 rally and a fidanza alum flywheel for everyday driving in my z31...but again like they said dont get the flywheel....i only got the flywheel during my change because of autocross....even tho we dont run but 12 times a year. the flywheel is nice and a diff. in performance. if dxd does carry one for your car, id try it. its stiffer than stock, grips and goes,and can take a beating. i went through horsepowerfreaks.com , they are cheaper there and fast shipping.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by jrealmuto1
i run a dxd stage 1 rally and a fidanza alum flywheel for everyday driving in my z31...but again like they said dont get the flywheel....i only got the flywheel during my change because of autocross....even tho we dont run but 12 times a year. the flywheel is nice and a diff. in performance. if dxd does carry one for your car, id try it. its stiffer than stock, grips and goes,and can take a beating. i went through horsepowerfreaks.com , they are cheaper there and fast shipping.
how do you like the dxd and how much are they?

how does it hold up?..i drive my car like a crazy maniac so, im kinda hard on the clutch. thats why mine is currently junk.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:36 PM

the dxd is pretty good, i didnt expect it, but i read feedbacks and went with them... its holding up great, i got 1800 miles on it and still feels the same the day i put it in....stiff and no play in the clutch, its grip n go...no shudder either like u would feel in a 6 pluck ect... but got to realize im only pushing stock hp except for a 75 wet shot.... it doesnt slip with the nitrous..
Old 10-10-2009, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick

im very interested in putting in the centerforce dual friction clutch, you wouldnt happen to know how much to shave the flywheel bolts heads would you? and how much do u think the average price would run me for to buy one and have it put in? i dont think im capable of replacing the clutch, but ill look into it.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:04 PM
The Good Twin

See my post about the flywheel bolt issue: https://www.zdriver.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=83

Just gotta grind that top lip off.

The CFDF clutch is about $300. I dunno how much a shop will charge to R&R a clutch, but I'd say somewhere around $500-$700. It's not really hard, just time consuming.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:42 PM

Lightened flywheel

I had a flywheel lightened by Top End Peformance, for my 280zx 2+2. They lightened it by about 10lbs. Stock was 28lbs. Now 18lbs. It makes a big difference on response. No negative impact to driveability. No other mods needed, fits with stock bolts, pressure plate/clutch, etc. It cost me about halve of what an aftermarket wheel would have cost. Granted it is not 10lbs, but I choose to go this way because of driveability and improved engine response.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:00 AM

I agree with BiggBrake. If you want lighter. Have a Mech shop trim your stock one. Will cost less. And you know for sure it will bolt right up
I used a 2 seater flywheel on my 2+2. I like it better.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:08 PM
Big Poppa

i have a basic centerforce clutch, and i had my stock flywheel lightened about 10lbs as well. make sure to get it balanced, if not you can get some vibration from the change. it usually cost about 100 or so for re-surface alighten and balance. ill trade you my lightened flywheel for a aluminum one