280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differential Cover

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 11:23 PM

Differential Cover

I'm trying to take off the cover to the differential and have no luck because the diff mount is connected to the lid and there is a long bolt that goes from the inside of the car through the mount and I dont know how to take that off to open the lid. My car is a 83 280ZX Turbo with an R200 diff and cv axle shafts. If anyone can help me in the removal of the diff cover process let me know. THANKS.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:11 AM
The Good Twin

Just two nuts on the cover to mustach bar, then one or two bolts from the mustach bar to body.... pull the mustach bar out & then you can remove the cover bolts.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:22 AM
The Evil Twin

That single bolt through the rear bushing is not from inside the car. It is hard to break loose but it will unbolt from under the car. You take that off, then you can take off the two bolts holding that bracket to the diff cover.

I never tried to remove the back cover while the diff was still mounted in the car but I suppose it should be possible.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:52 AM
The Good Twin

Here's a pic of that mustach bar:

Old 10-10-2006, 11:35 PM

I unbolted everything, but how do you break loose that bolt that goes through the bushing? I can't see how you take it off. Do you turn it? Do you bang it out? I tried everything, but have no results yet.

Well let me tell you my problem..... I was driving when suddenly my car was making a weird noise in the rear, then it it felt like something was banging, then the right rear tire seemed like it was jumping off the ground, like it was wanted to pull just on the right side. I thought it was the axle, but tht is fine. Now I want to check the diff to see if anything is bad inside. Do you guys have any ideas of what might do this?
Old 10-11-2006, 07:14 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Nemesis280zx
I unbolted everything, but how do you break loose that bolt that goes through the bushing? I can't see how you take it off. Do you turn it? Do you bang it out? I tried everything, but have no results yet.
It's a bolt... stick a socket on there and loosen it...

Well let me tell you my problem..... I was driving when suddenly my car was making a weird noise in the rear, then it it felt like something was banging, then the right rear tire seemed like it was jumping off the ground, like it was wanted to pull just on the right side. I thought it was the axle, but tht is fine. Now I want to check the diff to see if anything is bad inside. Do you guys have any ideas of what might do this?
Before you take everything apart, maybe you should check the right hub??? Also put the rear up in the air & spin both tires by hand to see what's going on. Better to do a thorough checkover before digging deep to find nothing.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:32 AM
The Evil Twin

rear right brake caliper got stuck closed... ? maybe... or lug nuts falling off and the wheel was wobbling around
Old 10-11-2006, 06:16 PM

Power tools! I lover power tools, justget the impact and torch and sawzall out, anyhting's possible then.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by jmmorriso
Power tools! I lover power tools, justget the impact and torch and sawzall out, anyhting's possible then.
I like the way this man thinks
Old 10-11-2006, 07:27 PM

Well I got to put the axle back on and tire and spun both tires to see if I heard or felt anything. The results... I didnt hear or feel anything bad. Nothing clancked or grinded or anything. Seemed normal to me. I was going to check the bearings but dont know how to get to them. Do I have to remove the axle and take that nut off in the hub? Thanks again.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:38 PM
The Good Twin

Well I got to put the axle back on and tire and spun both tires to see if I heard or felt anything. The results... I didnt hear or feel anything bad. Nothing clancked or grinded or anything. Seemed normal to me. I was going to check the bearings but dont know how to get to them. Do I have to remove the axle and take that nut off in the hub? Thanks again.
Let me answer all these questions with one of my own questions... You don't have a Haynes manual do ya? If ya don't... Go to AutoZone and buy one.