280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

elemanate egr valve ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 10:11 AM

elemanate egr valve ?

i read this ebay listing http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsu...56454077QQrdZ1

can u really delet the egr valve ? what would be the advantage of doing this ? any body know ?
Old 04-14-2006, 10:31 AM

Hmmm I know you can buy aftermarket intake manifolds for Chevys that come with an EGR block off plate. I belive all an EGR does is recirculate exhaust back into the intake...if you block it off it wont put hot air back into the mix. I wanted to do this on my 92 V6 Camaro but it was a digital EGR so when I unpluged it the car would run like crap...if at all.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:43 AM

so all i would need is to custom make a blot off plate ? thats eazy i got me a high speed dremel but then all i would need is a plug kinda like the one i used to block of the POV that is set at 7 psi ? seems eazy enough...
Old 04-14-2006, 10:46 AM
The Good Twin

look at my egr....

Old 04-14-2006, 10:46 AM

I am not a mechanic so definatly do a little more research, but I am pretty sure ours aren't digital and we should be able to do without them.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
look at my egr....

Well there you go, question answered....nice looking engine man!
Old 04-14-2006, 10:59 AM

nismo pick can u t ell a differance in it ? im about to go out side an start working on it as we speak...
Old 04-14-2006, 11:07 AM

ok i went out side looks like i can be able to do this by myself question to NISMO PICK u had to make a top blot off plate plus u needed two plugs kinda like the ones me an u used to block off the POV right ?
Old 04-14-2006, 11:17 AM
The Evil Twin

My aftermarket downpipe has no EGR connection so I was forced to make a blockoff plate for the inake manifold.. or rather, I will have to make one before I can install the turbo engine.

In my non-turbo I blocked it off years ago. Passes emissions fine.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:31 AM

so the egr valve is just and emissions problem ? thank god i dont live in el-cajon , san diego california no more that damn smog law would kill me !!! thank god i live in a non smog law town... =-)
Old 04-14-2006, 11:35 AM

english motherf*cker do you speak it
Old 04-14-2006, 11:37 AM

lol sorry Hybrids130 my english tis not proper sir...
Old 04-14-2006, 12:09 PM

just kidding man, lol, you know that's a movie quote right? "Pulp Fiction" great movie if you haven't seen it
Old 04-14-2006, 12:23 PM

ill be blocking mine off...i dont want the crap!
Old 04-14-2006, 01:37 PM
Doesn't post much...

This topic has been discussed in great detail many many times. Do a little more research before hacking up you car. Yes, it is a smog related part, but there is a lot more to it than that. The car is designed to run with a functioning EGR valve... Bypassing or removing it WILL affect MORE THAN YOU THINK IT WILL.

Rod.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:27 PM

so rod when i do bypass it what do i have to do to it to make it work right adj the distributor cap ? timing ? i see nismopick did it and i know his car runs fine from the videos he has... nismopick did u have any problems running with out the egr valve ?
Old 04-14-2006, 04:09 PM

Well, I didn't necessarily adjust anything on my car but, then again mine wasn't completely removed but, it did NOT work at all and the car ran great. I suppose it might be responsible for a tiny miss here and there but, if I recall correctly the EGR only operates between a certain temperature and RPM so even if it did affect something, it would only be a portion of time.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:17 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by nismo619
so rod when i do bypass it what do i have to do to it to make it work right adj the distributor cap ? timing ? i see nismopick did it and i know his car runs fine from the videos he has... nismopick did u have any problems running with out the egr valve ?

Sorry... been training a new employee today... I haven't had time to get back to ya.

Anyway... EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation.

It sucks in a small amount of exhaust to re-burn, to try to make the emissions a lil bit better. I just cut that block off plate from 1/4" thick metal, pulled the studs & replaced them with 12mm bolts. My Z has had no probs w/o the egr.

I did this for 2 reasons...
#1: I now have a 2.5" mandrel downpipe w/ no egr out.
#2: I can't stand the thought of gumming up my intake manifold with carbon exhaust buildup.

I haven't had any emissions related probs w/ the egr... tho I take it to my buddy to pass every year. A normal shop might question you about the egr valve, so when inspection time comes, I'd put it back on.

Remember to plug the actuator hose for the egr too.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:46 PM

The purpose of the EGR valve is to LOWER the temperature of the combustion chambers. The reason for this? Becuase high temperature is the breeding ground of NOx. The only time an EGR causes a problem is when it's stuck open (exhaust is constantly flowing into the intake manifold. A properly functioning EGR has no hinderance on performance at all. So if it's a cleaner look or you have a provision problem like a couple others mentioned then go for it. Otherwise, it's a pain that's not really worth it. And no, you dont need to modify anything else to do it. The proper way of eliminating it would be to remove the tube completely and plug all the holes. That's ALL you need to do. No timing adjustment or any crap like that.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:09 AM

perfect thread closed...
Old 04-15-2006, 11:20 AM
Big Poppa

an egr also lowers the nox values, i pluged mine and it runs ok. but it can cause strange engine conditions you must tune around, dont just take it off and leave it. you must tune it after, i think it ran it lean, a bad condition, so rememeber like rod said, it effects more than you think.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:38 AM
Doesn't post much...

^ Thank you.

Rod.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:23 PM

The EGR allows such a minute amount of exhaust gas into the engine that removing it wouldn't cause enough of a difference to cause a lean condition. Thats where the 02 senser comes into play. It compensates. And removing one should not have any adverse affects on driveablility. I've capped off my fair share of EGR valves, including the one on my L28 with absolutely no adverse effects. If removing the EGR cause that much of a problem either you dont have a working o2 sensor or the EGR was letting too much exhaust into the engine and compensation for it had already been made.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:55 PM

My egr was stuck open when we took it of we broke a bolt and just put a plate over it. I haven't noticed anything diffrent except it actually idles now.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:07 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

That is probably because your EGR was plugged. Believe me, I had this nightmare on my Celica. My NOX kept failing, because of my vaccum servo valve was malfunctioning. It caused an emissions nightmare, and threw my car out of the charts. I ended up going 7 times, before I broke down, and took it to a shop. It ended up costing me close to $300, to fix it to pass. And over $200 in emissions fees. Not counting the new o2 sensor I got for close to $60. And numerous other things, I bought, and tried to get it through.

Now since I had so much trouble with my Celica. I made sure my EGR was really clean, when I did the swap. My NOX readings have gone down every time. I have gone to smog, which is now 3 times. This is starting to get expensive, and nerve-racking. And also when I took off my EGR, I sprayed it good with penetrating oil, and let it sit a little while. So it came off nice and easy with no broken bolts. And then I sprayed, and cleaned it real good, with carb cleaner. And it works like brand new, and the motor it came off had over 193,000 miles. That is my input on this subject. Sorry I posted a lengthy thread.

Quick Reply: elemanate egr valve ?