280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine break in

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 04:39 PM

engine break in

I just got my engine rebuilt on my 280zxt, and I need to break it in. The problem is, the only piece of exuast that I have is the down pipe off the turbo. Would it be best to tow it to a shop and get the exuast done before I break it in, or can I do it after? Sorry if this is a stupid question.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:46 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Eh, I'm no master mechanic. But i'd do the engine break in with the conditions i'd be running the car at when its 100%.

But thats just me.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:54 PM
The Good Twin

The only difference "no exhaust system" will make, is your neighbors will be pissed.

I drove my L28ET probably 20 miles w/ just the downpipe before I took it in to get an exhaust system installed.

As for your break in procedures... on the first start, let it warm up by idling & easy rev'ving. Check all fluids at running temp. Then drive like a grandma for 500 miles, change the oil, drive like a grandma for another 500 miles, then at about 1500 miles change the oil again & this time use synthetic (for the first two oil changes run conventional).
Old 02-09-2010, 05:30 PM
Ruff Ryder

Also, prime the oil system, before cranking it over.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:14 PM

It wont harm the turbo, and theres enough back presure.

Last edited by zordietrying; 02-09-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:17 PM
w0rld's l0ngest m0t0rswap

Originally Posted by hoov100
Also, prime the oil system, before cranking it over.
yeah if it starts to screetch like nails on a chalkboard and then "seizes" then that means you need to prime it...trust me its a terrible terrible sound
Old 02-09-2010, 07:40 PM
Ruff Ryder

Prime your oil system, metal to metal contact with bearings/rockers/cam..etc are not good. You'll just be throwing your money down the drain otherwise.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Über User

the turbo is plenty of back pressure for an engine. and why on earth would that harm the turbo? jsut do what everyone else has suggested. its all spot on.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:04 PM

Prime your oil system, metal to metal contact with bearings/rockers/cam..etc are not good. You'll just be throwing your money down the drain otherwise.
please dont tell me that...
Old 02-09-2010, 09:31 PM
Ruff Ryder

Originally Posted by thetremendousti
please dont tell me that...
All you need is a spare oil pump shaft, grind down the teeth, install it with the oil pump, then hook it up to a drill, go at it for a minute or so until oil gets to the cam, then gently turn the motor over by hand 180 degree's, go at it again for a minute, turn the motor back to TDC prime it again and your done.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Über User

All you need is a spare oil pump shaft, grind down the teeth, install it with the oil pump, then hook it up to a drill, go at it for a minute or so until oil gets to the cam, then gently turn the motor over by hand 180 degree's, go at it again for a minute, turn the motor back to TDC prime it again and your done.
this isn't a chevy motor... lol. all you can do for priming a Z is make sure the oil pump is filled with oil and the oil filter is filled with oil and put them up! i guess if you were desperate you could do it your way but then you still gotta drop the pump again and blah blah blah... kind of a hassle. if you do it right there isnt a problem, just watch the oil pressure gauge, no reading after 5 seconds, shut her off. as long as you used a good amount of assembly lube no damage will happen (and always oil the pistons before first crank)
Old 02-09-2010, 11:37 PM
Ruff Ryder

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
this isn't a chevy motor... lol. all you can do for priming a Z is make sure the oil pump is filled with oil and the oil filter is filled with oil and put them up! i guess if you were desperate you could do it your way but then you still gotta drop the pump again and blah blah blah... kind of a hassle. if you do it right there isnt a problem, just watch the oil pressure gauge, no reading after 5 seconds, shut her off. as long as you used a good amount of assembly lube no damage will happen (and always oil the pistons before first crank)
dropping the pump isnt that big of a deal, if the motor is out of the car, hell it's what, 4 bolts?
Old 02-10-2010, 01:53 AM
Intrawebz Wizard

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
I was told to only lightly oil the skirt of the piston. sense no oil really ever gets to the top of the piston unless you have a bad ring or something

And I thought assembly lube was for basically when you first start the engine so you dont ruin something before it primes? So whats the big deal about priming the engine lol
Old 02-10-2010, 02:52 AM
Ruff Ryder

Originally Posted by BlueKitsune
I was told to only lightly oil the skirt of the piston. sense no oil really ever gets to the top of the piston unless you have a bad ring or something

And I thought assembly lube was for basically when you first start the engine so you dont ruin something before it primes? So whats the big deal about priming the engine lol
assembly lube will work for the 3 seconds the engine doesnt have oil, but priming it, is just that extra step of assurance for a long lasting motor. You wouldn't stick it in her *** without lube would you?

Last edited by hoov100; 02-10-2010 at 03:13 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:36 AM
Über User

assembly lube is rockin stuff... it'll probably last a bit longer than 3 seconds, but nothing spectacular. and yeah you oil the entire piston side when sticking it into the block... but before i put the head on (which if im putting the head on then usually i plan on running it soon) i oil up the cylinder walls a bit. after that you cant really do much i suppose.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:37 PM

Is anybody here aware of WHAT EXACTLY "break in" consists of?? Sure doesn't look like it.. Please dispense with the prime oil pump stuff, that's standard procedure for anybody that graduated 7th grade.

I'll be impressed when somebody tells me why babying it is the worst thing you could do.(I've been paid by manufacturers to run the hell out of their engines) There is one clue above, something to the effect of break it in to it's operating conditions. With me, that's right foot sticking 4" out past the grille...

My break in, bring it up to temp, and it's DYNO time... One word of caution, most engine dyno's are only good to 2000 hp...
Old 02-27-2010, 11:41 PM

assembly lube will work for the 3 seconds the engine doesnt have oil, but priming it, is just that extra step of assurance for a long lasting motor. You wouldn't stick it in her *** without lube would you?
If the clearances and oil are right, the no oil time shouldn't ever even approach 3 seconds. Matter of fact, every engine we do is tested for pressure and volume of oil before it leaves the building;
Old 02-28-2010, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by bojo68
Is anybody here aware of WHAT EXACTLY "break in" consists of?? Sure doesn't look like it.. Please dispense with the prime oil pump stuff, that's standard procedure for anybody that graduated 7th grade.

I'll be impressed when somebody tells me why babying it is the worst thing you could do.(I've been paid by manufacturers to run the hell out of their engines) There is one clue above, something to the effect of break it in to it's operating conditions. With me, that's right foot sticking 4" out past the grille...

My break in, bring it up to temp, and it's DYNO time... One word of caution, most engine dyno's are only good to 2000 hp...
nobodys going to believe you, crazy old war veteran guy, unless you have some evidence of why your break in works better than others. It seems to be the general consensus to go an easy 500, oil change, and then ease into the next 500...maybe maybe maybe with the old V8's you could do something like that, but with the electronics and specifications and clearances and turbos and etc I'm pretty sure i'll be doing the slow break-in..

I also read that audi makes you sign a break-in contract when you buy their vehicles, not to go past a certain RMP or certain % of throttle ( i think it was 70%?) and of course they can pull all this information from the OBC if you bring it in and were a naughty boy.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:50 AM
Intrawebz Wizard

I like the Datsun Z Garage engine break in idea, it seems the most sound to me.

NEW ENGINE BREAK-IN TIPS
There are many opinions on how to break in a new motor, from babying it to redlining it immediately. I'm not going to discuss which is correct, I'm just going to just list the methods I use for myself. Cam break-in is not covered below which has a whole other list of to-do's. So the tips below are for general engine startup.

Bearings generally don't need break-in because there is constant film of oil between the bearings and journals (if you do have metal-to-metal contact there's a problem). What we want to concentrate on is seating the rings against the cylinder walls to ensure high compression for the engine's life. This needs to be done properly early on.

- Immediately on first startup, check the oil pressure and bring the engine up to 2,000, listening for noises, looking for leaks, adding water, etc.
- Try to use as little choke as possible as the extra gas can wash the oil from the cylinder walls and affect ring seating. Don't race the engine but blipping the throttle is fine. Let the motor idle at 2,000 until it reaches full operating temperature. Once at full temperature bring it down to idle, re-check the timing, synch the carbs.
- I don't believe in pampering by letting the car cool down for 24 hours to "set" before more break-in as cars at the factory don't get that treatment. Instead, if all seems solid I go for a test-drive as soon as possible. You need a nearby road with no traffic or a parking lot for this next step: Once on the road accelerate moderately up to 3,500 or so in a lower gear, let off the gas abruptly. Let the engine braking pull the motor down to 1,500 or so. Do this 10 or more times in the lower gears, in different rev ranges. This is a well known method which uses the engine vacuum pull the rings against the cylinder walls to ensure proper seating.

After these initial "throttle dumps" do some moderate driving at different speeds around the area. Continue to do moderate acceleration, occasionally backing off the throttle as before using the engine vacuum to brake the motor. Some people say the rings seat immediately, but I like to take my time over the first couple of hundred miles to let the rings seat smoothly.
* Try to do as much driving in this first phase as possible (first startup should be a weekend). Change the oil at 100 miles.
* By the time you get a couple of hundred miles on the motor you will notice the idle is smoother and stable, with smoother revving and all around "better" feel. If your cylinders have been bored properly ring seating is generally quick at a couple of hundred miles. If your cylinders are roughly honed it might take you a 1000. Doing a compression check will tell you for sure.
* Don't start doing 0-60 runs with the startup oil in the crankcase as it has pre-lube remnants and other contaminants in it. Wait until after the first oil change and at 500 miles if everything seems stable and tight, start taking the engine closer to redline occasionally. By the time you get to 1000 miles you should be revving the engine to redline with no guilt.