280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauges, Radio, Interior lights not on

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 10:32 AM

Gauges, Radio, Interior lights not on

Tried to jump start my Z and when my buddy connected the cables to his car, he had the positive and negative reversed. After a couple of sparks he wised up and realized what he did.

Car seems to run fine but I noticed the volt gauge was kind of bouncing around between 6 and 10 volts while I drove it. Also noticed the clock was a bit dim with a slow flicker and I had no radio, map light, dome light, or door light.

I checked the fuse panel and fuses are still in tact. Some at ZSource.com said I might had fried the ECU, but he said the car would normally run rough and I would probably smell something burnt. Neither seems to be the case here.

I'm charging the battery now, but is it possible that those things aren't working because there isn't enough battery power for them yet.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:41 AM
The Good Twin

Many things can get fried when you jump-start a car battery backwards.

Check your fusible links.
Also drive to your local parts store and have them do a battery / alternator load test. You may have fried your alternator's voltage regulator.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Many things can get fried when you jump-start a car battery backwards.

Check your fusible links.
Also drive to your local parts store and have them do a battery / alternator load test. You may have fried your alternator's voltage regulator.
Got my answer. It appears to have been just the 10amp fuse that was burned. It wasn't burned all of the way through which may have accounted for the bouncing voltage gauge. it stopped bouncing once I replaced it. One note, the fuse box cover doesn't show that all of these things run off of this one fuse. I found that in the service manual. I'll go have those load tests done now.