280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!!! 79 280ZX won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 04:49 PM

HELP!!!! 79 280ZX won't start

I bought the car with the engine just sitting in the bay needing installed. After much work it is together but not running. The car was sitting a long time and the fuel pump was seized so I replaced it. I get fuel up to the metal tubes on the fuel rail. The timing was all wrong so when at TDC the rotor was not pointing at #1 plug wire but that is fixed. After a can of ether the timing is close enough that it tries to start. Here is where I need help. I don't think I'm getting any injector pulse. The connectors to the injectors were a little corroded but I cleaned them with contact cleaner. What I need to know is where the ECU is, which relay controlls EFI and any other suggestions. I have noticed when the key is on the fuel pump comes on and doesn't shut off I know there are two relays for that not sure if a bad one would cause issues with injection. battery keeps going dead when it sits because the passenger door needs adjusted but where it is sitting won't allow me to open it all the way to adjust it and make the dome light stay off. Will a battery that is dead or weak cause the ECU to go haywire. I basically need to know everything that will cause the injectors not to pluse that people have seen. I noticed a post mentioning limp mode any info on that?
Old 10-19-2003, 08:23 PM

Dude I believe if pump is running constently then its not building pressure just pumping straight through. Do you have the lines connected correctly? You should use a inline pressure gauge and check the pressure to see whats up. You can also use a short peice of wood( like a broom handle ) and place it up againest the injector and your ear on other end and you should hear injector clicking while spinning engine. They also make a test light that plugs into injector plug to see if your getting current to them. Have you pulled a plug or 2 to see if any fuel is getting to cylinder? If you been spinning it that much they should be wet. If you still need info on relays I can look it up just let me know. As far as the battery I dont think that would cause a prob but you may want to check the fuseable links for corrosion or 1 brunt. Just disconnect the battery when your not working on it to save it from going dead.............Good luck............