280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L28 to RB25E

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 06:24 PM

L28 to RB25E

Any ideas on whether an adaptor plate is require for replace an l28 motor with a RB25E?
Old 12-04-2004, 09:33 PM

I'm not sure of any adaptor plates ... do you mean for the transmission? When I looked up info for this particular swap, the RB25 would need the transmission from a RWD Skyline (the 5-speed from a Cefiro with the RB20 might work as well), custom engine mounts, and might even need a custom driveshaft (someone told me once that the stock driveshaft would work, but don't quote me on this). Also the engine management or an SDS EFI system was required. I'm sure if you look in the right place, you will find an RB25 and a 5-speed trans from an R33 Skyline GTS with under 30,000 miles on it for under $3000, including computers and hardware.

Also - I'm assuming the engine you're talking about is non-turbo, but there was never an RB25E engine made. There's an RB25DE (twin-cam), but no SOHCs. Check this site out for RB engine info - http://www.meggala.com/nissanrb3css.htm

Last edited by Dorifto; 12-04-2004 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:06 PM

Rb25e

Originally Posted by Dorifto
I'm not sure of any adaptor plates ... do you mean for the transmission? When I looked up info for this particular swap, the RB25 would need the transmission from a RWD Skyline (the 5-speed from a Cefiro with the RB20 might work as well), custom engine mounts, and might even need a custom driveshaft (someone told me once that the stock driveshaft would work, but don't quote me on this). Also the engine management or an SDS EFI system was required. I'm sure if you look in the right place, you will find an RB25 and a 5-speed trans from an R33 Skyline GTS with under 30,000 miles on it for under $3000, including computers and hardware.

Also - I'm assuming the engine you're talking about is non-turbo, but there was never an RB25E engine made. There's an RB25DE (twin-cam), but no SOHCs. Check this site out for RB engine info - http://www.meggala.com/nissanrb3css.htm
Thanks. I can get the RB25DE for $800AU but want to strap it to my stock patrol box. I'll call up a local conversion shop. I doubt that they would know because I haven't heard of or seen of a patrol with a RB25DE.

Mostly, people put a V8 in to the patrol. I want to put a more powerful six into my truck, preferably a nissan motor.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:07 PM

Never heard of a Nissan Patrol.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:32 PM

I haven't heard of a Nissan Patrol either, but whatever it is, sounds like you're going to have some fun with it, bigjoe. What kind of box does it have? I'm sure if you paid someone enough, they'd be able to figure a way to get that RB onto that tranny ... :woot:

*EDIT* - I just looked up what a Patrol was ... that's a sweet, Land-Cruiser type thingy! I was unaware Nissan even produced something like this.
Here's an idea - you could scout around for an AWD 5-speed trans from a GTR Skyline - you'd keep your 4x4, and you'd have two extra cogs in there! And, it would bolt up to the RB factory-spec ... Just a thought :burnout:

Last edited by Dorifto; 12-05-2004 at 10:40 PM.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:18 AM

Patrol

Originally Posted by Dorifto
I haven't heard of a Nissan Patrol either, but whatever it is, sounds like you're going to have some fun with it, bigjoe. What kind of box does it have? I'm sure if you paid someone enough, they'd be able to figure a way to get that RB onto that tranny ... :woot:

*EDIT* - I just looked up what a Patrol was ... that's a sweet, Land-Cruiser type thingy! I was unaware Nissan even produced something like this.
Here's an idea - you could scout around for an AWD 5-speed trans from a GTR Skyline - you'd keep your 4x4, and you'd have two extra cogs in there! And, it would bolt up to the RB factory-spec ... Just a thought :burnout:
Like a LANDcruiser but **** loads better!!! Landcrusier is the evil people!!! LOL Competition lol.

I was thinking about bolting it the 5-speed box to the car's tranfer case. The standard box can handle 750hp according to sources. It is a very strong box which is needed for 4wdin.

I need a diagram or picture and measurements of the back of the RB25DE motor so I can see if I can marry it up to my current box.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:27 PM

you never heard of a Nissan patrol?
Old 12-06-2004, 07:57 PM

Hmmm - yeah, 4-wheelin puts quite a beating on drivetrain parts. I don't think a Skyline trans could take that kind of punishment ... Maybe you should talk to some shops in your area about fabbing up a bellhousing that mounts to your trans and the engine. I'll look around for a diagram or something, but the best way to do it is to already have the engine. That makes it easier to custom-fit.