280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lost key

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 10:46 PM

lost key

okay it seems that i have misplaced my keys. i can't seem to find them. well i called a locksmith and he told me that he could come out and make a key for me for the door but since the ignition and door key is different i would need to get a new ignition key with the key. is that true?
i was under the impression that the locksmith could just come out and make a key to fit my ignition without taking it out. i mean a screw driver can technically go in there. i don't know if this is true. i wanted to get some input. did i just call a knucklehead locksmith or do i need to start hunting down an ignition switch.

the switch and all my door locks are good i just can't seem to find my keys to save my life. help as im having with drawals from my car. i was suppose to put a transmission in too this weekend.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:52 PM
The Good Twin

You can't just make a key to fit a lock you don't have access to... he would need the ignition lock to make a key for it. And it would prolly cost more for him to take it all apart, and decipher the tumblers to make a new key, than to just buy a new ignition lock.

When I worked at Nissan, the service manager helped me make a key for my gas cap (from a different Z)... took him about 2 hours to finally make a key to work properly.

Last edited by NismoPick; 10-24-2007 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:16 PM

there isn't a general tumbler to follow like gms? could i just take my lock assembly to a locksmith and have them make a key for me?

so do i just start looking for a new ignition lock and key?

Last edited by johnwoo; 10-24-2007 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:47 AM

a new ignition lock and key is only like 15 bucks from autozone i belive or around there..
Old 10-25-2007, 06:42 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by johnwoo
there isn't a general tumbler to follow like gms?
What else on this car is made like GM? Apples and Oranges my friend....

Originally Posted by johnwoo
okay it seems that i have misplaced my keys. i can't seem to find them. well i called a locksmith and he told me that he could come out and make a key for me for the door but since the ignition and door key is different i would need to get a new ignition key with the key. is that true?
I re-read this... I think you should too.

#1... You don't have a key for the door, so you need a locksmith to make a new one.

#2... You don't have a key for the ignition (which is diff than the door), but you wonder why he would have to make a new one... How is this need for a key different than a need for the door key?

Both situations should be treated the same... what the locksmith does to make a new key for the door, he can do to make a new key for the ignition.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:42 AM

the lock smith will charge an arm and a leg for it tho, i remember one of my friend needed to have his key made and then went to the lock smith and the said like 150 or 175 to have it made.. you might as well get yourself a new set
Old 10-25-2007, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by chinesekid
a new ignition lock and key is only like 15 bucks from autozone i belive or around there..
will the ones from autozone work for the ignition? do i just switch out my old one? and its not the whole lock ignition assembly?
Old 10-25-2007, 11:13 AM
The Good Twin

http://www.autozone.com/R,APP391703/...ductDetail.htm

http://www.autozone.com/selectedZip,.../selectZip.htm
Old 10-25-2007, 11:13 AM
The Evil Twin

On a 280ZX?
Why don't you just borrow a key from another Z, or even another Nissan. I could gently work a 1st Altima key and open my Z's door when I locked the keys inside. The ignition was even more sloppy and took no work to start it up with an Altima key.

Sounds like if you had a key made for the door, it might work in your ignition too.

Also, I had a locksmith make a key for a Toyota. I called and all they needed was the VIN and he showed up with a key pre-made. Cost me $100 which is what I expected. If Nissan kept the key code in conjunction with your VIN (and your car would have to be the newer VINs from 1981+) then that may be possible.

I'm not sure what the super cheap ignition is from AutoZone. Never heard of anything that cheap

$139 for this one looks like a good deal

AutoZone
Old 10-25-2007, 06:57 PM

went and picked this up at autozone for $20. it looks like it will work and i just swap out the switch on the lock assembly
Old 10-27-2007, 08:31 AM
Grumpy & Helpful

It has been posted somewhere that if you pull the trim off the hatchback interior you can find the number that a key can be made with that will fit. Of course that is if all original cylinders are still in the car. Or there was a tag on the glove box that had the number. I think maybe they said the driver side door also but the hatchback easier to get at.