280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual to auto swap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 06:27 PM

Manual to auto swap?

I know, know. Everyone hates me now, but I've got a few questions. I'd appreciate it if you guys could help out a fellow classic Z fan, and not lecture me on why I should keep the 5-speed.

1. What would I need to perform a 5-speed to automatic transmission swap? Is this something that could be performed by someone with above average mechanical abilities (my father)? How much $ would I be looking at to have someone perform the swap?

2. When the headlights are turned on/off the pitch of the engine at idle changes, is this normal?

Thanks guys.

My 280ZX: http://loddie.googlepages.com/home
Old 02-25-2008, 06:58 PM
The Good Twin

Manual to Auto is just the reverse of Auto to Manual (which we have a lot of threads on). It's really simple... remove driveline & tranny, install new tranny & driveline. Remove old pedal assembly, install new pedal assy (or keep the 3 pedal and just use two). Then hook up the inhibitor switch (which may be the only tricky part... if a 5speed car's wiring harness has the inhibitor already there or not).
Old 02-25-2008, 07:46 PM

What would I be looking at if I had a shop do it? (rough estimate)
Old 02-25-2008, 07:51 PM
The Good Twin

Finding a shop that will do it will be the fun part. Most don't do "manual to auto" swaps for kicks, but expect $500-$1000 depending on how fast they do it.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:22 PM
Poor kid, no ruler

loddie, since some ******* stole my tools and I'm prohibited to work on cars in my neighborhood or they get towed I was thinking about paying a shop to swap the 5-speed out of my 280zx and put it in snw's 260z once it's mine and I'm done with payments. Since it's a pretty easy and straightforward swap they quoted me 200 dollars. I said screw it, and I'm gonna do it at a friends house. However they'd probably quote you the same they're "Speedzone" in Kissimmee they also have a few members on Orlandoforums.

I'm pretty sure your dad could get it done if he's mechanically inclined it's pretty straightforward.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by raythenegr0
loddie, since some ******* stole my tools and I'm prohibited to work on cars in my neighborhood or they get towed I was thinking about paying a shop to swap the 5-speed out of my 280zx and put it in snw's 260z once it's mine and I'm done with payments. Since it's a pretty easy and straightforward swap they quoted me 200 dollars. I said screw it, and I'm gonna do it at a friends house. However they'd probably quote you the same they're "Speedzone" in Kissimmee they also have a few members on Orlandoforums.

I'm pretty sure your dad could get it done if he's mechanically inclined it's pretty straightforward.
Thanks, that's a lot cheaper than I expected. We'll maybe see about doing it ourselves. I'll just have to continue cleaning up the car while I save up the money to afford all that's necessary.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:49 PM
Poor kid, no ruler

lol, just learn to drive stick.

Unless your mom also uses it or something.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:38 PM
NisTuner

$200!? That sounds really cheap. Considering that really you'd probably have your tranny swap done in a day. Especially if you've never pulled a tranny before or don't have some good way to raise and lower it.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by raythenegr0
lol, just learn to drive stick.

Unless your mom also uses it or something.
I already can. My girlfriend will also be driving it. I'm just taking this as an opportunity to be lazy, lol.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:06 AM
The Good Twin

FYI... the auto 3 speeds suck... it's a no brainer as to why people do the auto to manual swap, especially w/ gas prices these days.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:39 AM

Maybe you can trade your manual Z to the many Z owners with automatics who want one... a lot simpler... and they'd probably add some cash ontop the trade... i was willing to pay a little "more" for my Z because it was a manual.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:03 AM
Über User

dude, dont let the GF drive ur Z.... ive been hit by to many women to know better than let one of them drive my car. teach HER to drive stick it will be very helpful to her in the future on top of it.

also, ray, dude, its 4 bolts on the driveshaft, 2 on the slave and like 5 or so on the bell housing then 1 nut on the tranny mount and the 2 bolts holding that mount up. and the tranny comes out, can pull it in about 20 minutes and put. what kind of neighborhood prohibits people from working on their cars? and wheres mah money man! i want mah money! (family guy quote)
Old 02-26-2008, 11:20 AM
Poor kid, no ruler

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
dude, dont let the GF drive ur Z.... ive been hit by to many women to know better than let one of them drive my car. teach HER to drive stick it will be very helpful to her in the future on top of it.

also, ray, dude, its 4 bolts on the driveshaft, 2 on the slave and like 5 or so on the bell housing then 1 nut on the tranny mount and the 2 bolts holding that mount up. and the tranny comes out, can pull it in about 20 minutes and put. what kind of neighborhood prohibits people from working on their cars? and wheres mah money man! i want mah money! (family guy quote)
My neighborhood.

They towed my mom's old van because it had a flat once. Back then we were really short on money and we couldn't even pay the fee at the junkyard to get it back. All we could do is take our stuff out. They tried to tow my Z a long time ago just because they said "it didn't move", and I almost got into a fight with the tow truck guy and the maintanence guy. You're not even allowed to do an oil change here, it's ridiculous.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by 280gty
Maybe you can trade your manual Z to the many Z owners with automatics who want one... a lot simpler... and they'd probably add some cash ontop the trade... i was willing to pay a little "more" for my Z because it was a manual.
I've tried, trust me. I've trade to trade on pretty much every Z-forums there is, a bunch of Craigslists, nothing
Old 02-26-2008, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by loddie
I've tried, trust me. I've trade to trade on pretty much every Z-forums there is, a bunch of Craigslists, nothing
How much did you pay to buy your Z and how much money are you willing to spend on the conversion?

I'd think getting a mechanic to do custom work would be pricey... it would involve cosmetic and mechanical to get it working and looking right.

Maybe sell the car and just buy another?
Old 02-26-2008, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by 280gty
How much did you pay to buy your Z and how much money are you willing to spend on the conversion?

I'd think getting a mechanic to do custom work would be pricey... it would involve cosmetic and mechanical to get it working and looking right.

Maybe sell the car and just buy another?
Haven't been able to sell it either.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:40 PM
The Good Twin

I already can. My girlfriend will also be driving it. I'm just taking this as an opportunity to be lazy, lol.
So aside from the GF and laziness... any REAL reason for wanting an auto? You going for lower MPG, less power, and lower speeds?
Old 02-26-2008, 10:38 PM
Über User

less control? more weight? more to go wrong?
Old 02-27-2008, 05:58 AM

Haven't been able to sell it either.
Well, it's almost spring... so next month would be as good time to sell for best dollar amount.

Problem is that it will cost you... if it were so simple & cheap to switch, why would anyone care what transmission car they buy?

I bought a 76 C3 corvette that's an automatic cause i just wanted to cruise with it... press the gas and go... I try to buy exactly what i want cause I am not mechanically inclined.

If your father & you can do it yourselves, then maybe you should try it, but in my experience, paying a mechanic for custom work always ends up costing more than you expect.