280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modifying Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 11:53 AM

Modifying Stuff

is there an EGR block off plate for an 81zxt? or if i remove the vacuum line that goes to it will it keep it shut or leave it open?

has anyone ever done an oil catch can on a turbo zx, or does the oil vapors coming from the valve cover help lube the intake blade of the turbo?

of all the vacuum lines that go to all the intake manifold stuff, which ones are removeable and not needed, if i have a bov to relieve intake pressure. alot of the vacuum lines run to stuff that looks like it is a factory bypass system for the turbo, and now that i installed a bov do i still need alot of the components of this system?

would "clocking" the afm have any positive affect, if you clock it to have the flapper open faster with gravity? or does it not matter on a turbo car?

has anybody sea foamed their car or done any mystery product and had a positive effect?

i asked this question in another thread but i will add it to this one, since this is an OBD1 car, or it is just old, would unplugging the O2 sensor make it run a base, semi rich, fuel map or is running a little richer not an issue in these turbo zx's?

any responses help thanks in advance guys, i just like DIY (do-it-yourself) mods they are cool and unique
Old 11-27-2009, 12:23 PM
Ruff Ryder

you need to read the sticky's faq's and use the search button, also these are pre OBD cars.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:36 PM

ok thanks for answering all my ?'s really appreciate it pal
Old 11-27-2009, 03:18 PM
This facepalm's for you!

Originally Posted by casperzxt
is there an EGR block off plate for an 81zxt?
make one, very easy.

has anyone ever done an oil catch can on a turbo zx, or does the oil vapors coming from the valve cover help lube the intake blade of the turbo?
yes. start researching turbos and you realize how retarded that second statement is.

of all the vacuum lines that go to all the intake manifold stuff, which ones are removeable and not needed, if i have a bov to relieve intake pressure. alot of the vacuum lines run to stuff that looks like it is a factory bypass system for the turbo, and now that i installed a bov do i still need alot of the components of this system?
1. get a FSM/chiltens manual, educate yourself on what the components on your intake actually are.
2. educate yourself on what a BOV actually dose.

(its now very apparent you have no knowledge of turbocharging, go buy maximum boost by corky bell and start surfing the internet for basic turbo knowledge)

would "clocking" the afm have any positive affect, if you clock it to have the flapper open faster with gravity? or does it not matter on a turbo car?
no.

has anybody sea foamed their car or done any mystery product and had a positive effect?
lots of people have used seafoam, I dont recommend it. Its a halfass and a bandaid.

i asked this question in another thread but i will add it to this one, since this is an OBD1 car, or it is just old, would unplugging the O2 sensor make it run a base, semi rich, fuel map or is running a little richer not an issue in these turbo zx's?
the 280zx ECU is the technological equivalent of a graphing calculator.

any responses help thanks in advance guys, i just like DIY (do-it-yourself) mods they are cool and unique
if you can think of it, its been done on an L28et. the search button is your friend, youl even find write ups on 99.9% of them

ok thanks for answering all my ?'s really appreciate it pal
I answered your questions because Im incredibly bored, but dont expect to be spoon fed information that can all be found in 10min of searching in the future.

Educating yourself is the only way you will know the ins and outs of your car.

Last edited by skib; 11-27-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:44 PM

thank you for being the nicest d!ck i have ever got a response from
Old 11-27-2009, 03:50 PM

i know i could fab up block off plates, a trained monkey with a cuttuing torch could accomplish such a feat, but i was wondering about unplugging the vacuum line that goes to it, if unplugged would it stay shut?

but how again is asking about the oil catch can retarded? i know there are oil lines that go to the turbo and lube the shaft but does oil from the valve cover help too?

how complicated is a bov when all it does is relieve pressure in your intake so the compressed air doesnt push back on the intake turbine and cause damage?

i have already tried to search for aome DIY mods, and couldnt find much.

i would love to see you find all the exact answers to my questions in 10 min, please knock yourself out.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:15 PM
The Good Twin

Hum... you ask a question, then bitch at the response. How kind.

The reason they say SEARCH is really because you can find all your answers pretty quickly yourself. All basic & advanced info has already been discussed in detail in the 30 years of the existence of the 280zx. You could also crack open your Haynes manual (or.. if you for some reason haven't bought one yet, you can download the FSM at www.xenons130.com/reference).

But... I digress.

#1: Unplugging the vac lines will indeed keep them shut... just like unplugging a tv will keep it from turning on.

#2: Crack open that dusty Haynes manual and look at the intake, exhaust, and vacuum tube diagrams. Then look at the oil lines. You will then understand that your question makes no sense.

#3: BOV is not complicated. It's a simple check valve activated by pressure difference, assisted by a spring.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:20 PM

thank you for your responses guys, btw nismopick, where did you get your front mount? i am thinking about using a stock 3000gt one and running it just like they have it setup.

i still cannot find very many diy mods, even searching. maybe i just suck at searching
Old 11-27-2009, 04:38 PM
This facepalm's for you!

everything down to making a custom DOHC head from cut up KA24 heads has been done on an L6,
if you can hardly find anything your doing something wrong.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:47 PM
The Good Twin

btw nismopick, where did you get your front mount?

i still cannot find very many diy mods, even searching. maybe i just suck at searching

It's from an Isuzu Impulse. I've pretty much maxed it out so I've got a bigger one from a Volvo going in soon.

And what "mods" are you searching for? You have something in mind or just looking for upgrades?

If you want more power, upgrade to a Z31T ecu & maf, install an IC and EBC. Run about 10psi boost. Get a 2.5" downpipe, RRFPR (1:1 ratio) and you can hit 230hp pretty easy.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:23 AM
Taste My Rainbow

Or go with a megasquirt system with supra 440cc injectors, FMIC, and MBC, and walbro 255 fuel pump and boost to about 15psi for close to 300hp.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:05 PM

what year are the supra 440cc injectors from, mklll turbo?