280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 07:37 AM
Externally Wastegated

Check out Motorsports Auto for the muffler. Their muffler system is very cheap compared to other systems for other cars. Struts can be found cheap at shox.com. Many people have bought from them, and they're located in El Cajon which should be fairly close to you.
John 82ZXT
Old 06-26-2003, 10:19 PM
Super Siver & Black Stud

i went with the tokico springs and struts combo not the illuminas and im glad i did.. it lowered my car a lil more then 1" but the ride quality greatly improved.. and ive had them on my car now for a lil over 5 years and they still are pretty stiff.. as for mufflers... thats totaly going to depend on your personal taste.. theres so many muflers out in the market now that its pretty hard to narrow down what works and sounds good.. personally im going to be getting a borlla exhaust system... i dont want my car too loud but yet have that nice deep throaty sound like some of the european cars.. its a lil more expensive then most mufflers out there but to get that sound and the performace thats cash i wont mind spending... =)
Old 06-28-2003, 12:21 AM

I'm also running the Tokiko struts and springs. I put a 1" spacer all the way around to raise it back up a bit and it is probably an inch or so lower than stock. For the money I think the Tokikos are the best buy for handling and appearance. I had no problem scraping on anything until I put the body kit on (and ripped the air dam completely off in a pothole).
As far as mufflers go, I had a turbo muffler on my NA car and it was VERY loud. I put a Ractive straight-thru type on my turbo and it gave me the deep, throaty sound I was looking for. It is the one with the 4" outlet. My catylitic converter has been gutted also so that helps if you can get away with it.
$3000 should get you a real nice paint job. Much better than some of these places that offer a paint job for $299 and your tires end up the same color as the car! I'm sure you will be happy with it.

-Kel
Old 06-28-2003, 09:52 PM

I just realized you live in California. Gutting the CAT won't do you any good because you will fail your smog test. We can get away with it here in TN. You can buy a hi-flow CAT and that will give you a few more horses and still pass smog. Maybe the other CA guys can help you more with that.
As far as the spacers--I don't know how much of an impact that had on the ride because I never drove it without them. The ride is very firm and the handling very precise. For the money I don't think you can beat the Tokikos. As long as you don't put a body kit on your car you won't have to worry about putting spacers on your struts.
-Kel
Old 06-30-2003, 06:47 PM

Just a small note:

Random technologies has a very good high-flo cat for a very decent price (I think around $150.00). I'm getting one myself in the future.

I'm looking for a header that I can put on myself and not have it bent at a muffler shop to fit.....anyone know a good header that has an o2 sensor hole? I heard that Monza headers are ok, but you have to wrap them even with the ceramic coating.

My car is N/A by the way.....'83 zx. (pics posted)