280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need new upgraded turbo ! 280zxt

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 02:40 PM

need new upgraded turbo ! 280zxt

i need and upgraded 280x turbo direst bolt on im not in the mood to custom fabracate stuff right now maybe in about 4 weeks i will im looking for a used or new 300hp turbo capatable of 10psi or more any links ? any body selling one would be very helpful thanks , ken nismo619
Old 01-30-2006, 03:36 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by nismo619
i need and upgraded 280x turbo direst bolt on im not in the mood to custom fabracate stuff right now maybe in about 4 weeks i will im looking for a used or new 300hp turbo capatable of 10psi or more any links ? any body selling one would be very helpful thanks , ken nismo619
What's wrong w/ yours? Try www.ebay.com
Old 01-30-2006, 06:12 PM

whats wrong with mine ? well i did take off the j pipe and i see what looks to me a small light coast of motor oil ... its not because i have up the boost pressure it has always been there i was told it was a rebuilt turbo when i bought it... im just wondering if any body has ever OVER BOOSTED ? for a short period of time ? i think 10psi to maybe 15 psi ? just wondering and it was a few short bursts...
Old 01-30-2006, 06:20 PM
The Good Twin

whats wrong with mine ? well i did take off the j pipe and i see what looks to me a small light coast of motor oil ... its not because i have up the boost pressure it has always been there i was told it was a rebuilt turbo when i bought it... im just wondering if any body has ever OVER BOOSTED ? for a short period of time ? i think 10psi to maybe 15 psi ? just wondering and it was a few short bursts...
Overboosting deals more w/ your engine, than turbocharger. Your turbo can spin its lil heart out as much as the engine can push it (yes, it becomes less efficient at a point, but we don't need do go into that right now). The engine on the otherhand, can only take so much + pressure. Running your turbocharger @ 15 psi isn't going to kill it, as long as you let it cool down afterwards. There are tons of people running 15+psi on their turbocharged cars.

Post some pics of the supposed damage / oiled parts.

Last edited by NismoPick; 01-30-2006 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:38 PM

i was told that the most boost u can run on a non intercooler 280zx is 10 psi some times when im out cruseing around thrid gear ill gun it 4,500 rpm or more and so far i have seen it boost to 13-15 psi max.. but its for a short bust maybe 5 seconds no more as im still trying to get the manual boost controller to set it at 10 psi max.. finding it really hard to set.. by the way... um i have no luck on ebay so far...
Old 01-30-2006, 07:38 PM
The Good Twin

i was told that the most boost u can run on a non intercooler 280zx is 10 psi some times when im out cruseing around thrid gear ill gun it 4,500 rpm or more and so far i have seen it boost to 13-15 psi max.. but its for a short bust maybe 5 seconds no more as im still trying to get the manual boost controller to set it at 10 psi max.. finding it really hard to set.. by the way... um i have no luck on ebay so far...
I think you might be a lil confused about what an intercooler does. Look @ this diagram:

To be safe, you do need an intercooler to run above about 10psi... but that has little effect on the turbocharger. The intercooler cools the air going into the intake manifold, not the air going into the turbo.

The most common ways of destroying a turbocharger: high rpms @ full throttle, then shutting the car off before the turbo can cool back down... dirty oil will also shorten the turbo life.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:00 PM

Nismo619, what you're getting are boost spikes. And since you purchased a manual boost controller thats the first place I'd point the finger. Especially if it was a cheap-o version off of ebay. Manual boost controllers are notorious for their lack of smoothness and a cheap version will probably just escalate the problem. Try reverting back to the stock set up and see if you're still getting the spikes in boost.

That being said, the fact that your turbo can even reach those pressures and if you are indeed able to make full boost without any problems then you DO NOT need a new turbo. Even if there is oil in the intake tract. While its not ideal, a lot of turbo's leak small amounts of oil. It's not detrimental. Just keep an eye on oil level and if it ever starts dropping too quickly then you should go ahead and have the turbo checked out for a leaky seal or bad shaft bearing (or both).

Like Nismopick said, you really cant overboost a turbo. It's the engine that gets overboosted. And even then, it's not like the pressure is what kills the engine. It's the fact that way too much air is being compacted into the motor and it either cant supply enough fuel or the fuel isn't high enough octane and you get detonation and can end up with some nice looking paper weights. DO NOT UPGRADE your turbo until you've purchased an intercooler and upgraded your fuel system. THEN think about the turbo. If you are willing to jump out and snag the turbo first then chances are you're going to blow your motor. Then that turbo was just a waste of money. If you're going to do it, do it right. Watch what you buy off of ebay. If it's something that can be made defectively, then dont buy it off of ebay. A fuel rail is pretty hard to screw up. A boost controller on the other hand can destroy your motor if it doesn't do what its supposed to. Don't buy a turbo off ebay unless the seller is reputable. Otherwise you might end up with a piece of junk and nothing you can do about it. Stick with the stock turbo until you max it out. Then upgrade. But like I said, the turbo is the LAST part of the equation. Get the supporting cast in order first.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:40 AM
Bleach is my Hero

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
Nismo619, what you're getting are boost spikes. And since you purchased a manual boost controller thats the first place I'd point the finger. Especially if it was a cheap-o version off of ebay
OUCH.. I gave him that controller.. But yeah.. point the finger at it...
Old 01-31-2006, 03:10 PM

Hey I said "IF"
Old 01-31-2006, 08:10 PM
The Evil Twin

S/C found that controller in a Cracker Jack box...
Old 01-31-2006, 09:36 PM

Alls I ever get are those stupid fold em this way to see this image puzzles