280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with 280 not revving

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 07:24 AM

Problem with 280 not revving

Hello,
I'm not completley new to this forum, I have been here before but that was years ago and I have since forgotten my old username and password.

Anyway, I'm having some trouble with my 1983 280zx Turbo. Here is the lowdown.

When the gas is pressed the engine will rev slightly and then sputter and the RPM's will drop. The car will make backfiring noises and produces a rich smell everywhere. When this is happening the boost gauge is hitting the negative numbers. With a little luck and throttle feathering you can get it to higher RPM's (4-5) but it will quickly drop.

What we have done so far.

We replaced the Mass Airflow Meter. We have also tested the fuel pressure. Recently we replaced the distrubutor, cap, wires, and plugs. Not much of a change.

I managed to corner the fellow who sold me the car, and he confessed that the turbo was dying when he sold it to me.

It seems logical to me. The computer thinks the turbo is pushing in air, so it increases the amount of gas in the mix, resulting in too much gas and the engine missbehaving. My dad didn't think it was the turbo at the start, but he is now saying it might be. (Running out of options.)

Looking around the area we have yet to find someone with a machine we can hook this up to, so it looks like we are still on our own.

I was wondering, does it seem to anyone here like it is the turbo? If I take the turbo off should I be able to inspect it and notice damage, or if it does not spin, to give me assurance that it is the problem?

If anyone is near the Farmington, NM area that has a machine, or is in general good with these cars I could really use the help.

Thanks for any help,
-Q
Old 01-21-2006, 10:35 AM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!

Your prob sounds a lot like Gabriel's prob: https://www.zdriver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16532

There really aren't any "machines" to hook the 280zxt up to... Nissan made a trouble shooting unit back in the day, but they are very rare & you can find the probs almost as easy w/o it.

You really need to start w/ the basics before assuming it's the turbocharger (which it's probably not). If the turbo was causing this prob, you'd really know it, as it would be making a pretty horrible sound. The engine can run normal w/o the turbo.

So we start w/ the basics... check your air fuel ratio w/ an a/f gauge ($50 from AutoZone). That will tell you if the fuel mixture is right.

Next, pull each spark plug & see if they all look uniform, or the same color tips. For example: 5 tan tips & one back one will tell you something is wrong w/ that cylinder.

Also check all your sensor & fuel injector connections to make sure they are making proper connection.

Do that & report back!
Old 01-23-2006, 06:50 AM

Joy!

You saved me from spending $700+ on a new turbo set up. It works!

We took your advice and checked our books for anything about the sensors. We didn't bother with the plugs because we had just replaced them and I doubted they would have shown much wear at all.

We got a new O2 sensor and a A/F gauge at the local parts store. Car started up and behaved for a few seconds. Then a few more. Then I was told to slow down around the corners.

There is still a bit of work I have to do before I can get it up and driving every day. One blinker doesn't work. One headlight is dim. Both door mirrors. New speedometer and standard stuff like oil and coolant changes.

The A/F gauge never gets away from lean, dunno why. We may have hooked it up wrong, but it was pretty straight forward. As long as the car runs I don't care.

Thanks a lot for the advice NismoPick. If you have any computer questions I'll do what I can to answer them!

I glanced at your car pics, very very nice. I remember seeing them when I first got my Z and wanted to see what other people had done to them. Do you have a specific shop you recommend for body parts?

How does your Z work for drifting anyway? I drove most of my life on a Colorado mountain dirt road in a lightweight Toyota pickup, so getting sideways is nothing new to me, although doing so on paved roads will be.

Thanks again for your help, and I hope I'm not asking too many questions.
C ya!
-Q
Old 01-23-2006, 07:33 AM
The Good Twin

So just an O2 sensor eh? Cool! Make sure to check your timing too. Should be set to 20 degrees.

What body parts do ya need? Is yours a 2seater or 2+2?
I got most of my parts from Nissan... for 2 reasons: #1 I worked for Nissan while I was doing body work, so I got OEM panels for cheap, and #2 mine is a 2+2... most aftermarket companies don't make 2+2 parts.

Driftin the Z is quite fun! I plan on doin a coilover setup eventually, but my KYB's & Eibach's are fine for now.

Anyway... stick around here & post at will!
Old 01-23-2006, 10:55 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Glad you were able to get your Z running. Unfortunately, I don't know much about Turbo's yet. But I know a little, and after I do a Turbo swap, will know more.(down the road a ways) All aside, welcome once again to the Zdriver forums. And I do hope your second time around, will be a pleasant, and educational one. And take it from me you can learn a lot on this great website. I know for a fact I have, for sure.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:28 PM

Still running.

NismoPick,
My Z is a 1983 2+2. I don't need any real major body parts (yet) aside from the mirrors, both driver and passenger doors. I'll try to post some pics of the mess I have it in sometime, but I have to take them first. As for a list of what I want to do to the car.

Before getting it legal. (insurance and such.)
- New speedometer. The old one lost its cable and it topped out at 80, so I was thinking about going with a outside mount.

- Oil and Coolant change. Always needed.

- Replacement of brake pads if needed.

- License plate light. Cops loved pulling me over for that before.

After I get it running daily.

- Change the rear brakes to disk. If its possible. I understand disk brakes are more stable, correct me if I'm wrong.

- New seats. The ones I have are in pretty bad shape and don't do much if you are going around a corner.

- Replace some oddity parts. Weather stripping, rear wiper.

- Suspension. Control > HP in my opinion. Driving on a winding mountain road will do that to you.

- Paint job/body work. Might as well look good.

I'm trying not to think past that much. Will take a good amount of cash to do all of that. The tax return I should get will get me started at least.

WildmaN,
Thanks for the welcome. I do plan to stick around this time. Last time I didn't have a job and was pretty down about my car, so I gave up on it right away. I'm sure I'll learn quite a bit here, and be able to help out some too.

Time to run,
-Q
Old 01-23-2006, 08:06 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

WildmaN,
Thanks for the welcome. I do plan to stick around this time. Last time I didn't have a job and was pretty down about my car, so I gave up on it right away. I'm sure I'll learn quite a bit here, and be able to help out some too.

Time to run,

-Q[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know what you mean about being down and depressed on not having money to fix your Z, and getting it on the road. I felt that way just last fall, late summer. Because financially I was coming apart, and was close to losing my place of residence. So I had to throw in the towel, because I was sick and depressed of working on or looking at my Z. Knowing I didn't have the money, and didn't know when I would have it. But thanks to these great people on here, and my second job I aquired. I was able to continue my project, and goal of driving my Z soon. It should be this Friday, I hope.

Anyway no problem for the greeting, I enjoy meeting, and welcoming new, and or returning people to this forum. But if you want more inspiration, check out my cardomain page in my sig. And also any of the other users on here.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:53 AM
Bleach is my Hero

Originally Posted by NismoPick
There really aren't any "machines" to hook the 280zxt up to...
Dynos are fun "machines" to hook turbo Z's up to..
Old 01-24-2006, 07:14 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by s/cL3.0
Dynos are fun "machines" to hook turbo Z's up to..
Smartass!