280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

research confilicting

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 09:12 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by olskool
again i read that the ecu could controll bigger injectors i was just wondering of that was true and if so how far can you push the stock ecu.
Indeed. There are several sets of larger injectors you can use. The Buick GN injectors are right around 300-310cc, also the older Supra injectors. The largest size that the stock 280zxt ecu can compensate for, are the Ford SVO 370cc injectors. After installing the injectors, you will need to adjust down the AFM spring to lean out the signal. One of our members, Lifegrddude ran the 370cc's for a while. I've got some Buick GN injectors that I may be installing on my setup, but I've got the Z31T ecu & maf, which is less adjustable.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:44 AM

ahhhh i see so with the afm adjusted and the bigger injectors then what can you turn it up to and when you say SVO i assume you mean the 2.3T engine right if thats case im getting excited cause i got friend that has a couple set of stock injectors on his shelf he has a merkur XR4Ti and turbo coupe (both ran that engine) he has moded and replaced his injectors in both so he has 8 of those he will give me if i want them
Old 03-26-2009, 09:46 AM

i know dont tell me i going to the local speed shop today and picking up a a/f guage and probabyl a boost gauge i had an autometer boost gauge i got from swaping a while back but cant find the damn thing
Old 03-26-2009, 09:48 AM
The Good Twin

Yep... those are the injectors (from a turbo Thunderbird / Mustang / XR4Ti).

And rock & roll! You know what you are doing. w00t!
Old 03-26-2009, 10:02 AM

sweet then i can go what 12 13 psi ?? im not worried about the head gasket so much i will be good enough reason to upgrade when it blows see i got to this stuff in stages and in just the right combo to get aproved through the wifey LOL
Old 03-26-2009, 10:08 AM
Über User

blowing a head gasket, from experience, can be a bigger problem than you think, the motor can start to hydro lock from coolant entering the cylinders they morphed my pistons scored the cylinder walls and possible warped my head and that all some how lead to the valves not sealing so well either lol. so replacement pistons a new head gasket ARP head studs new rings new rod bearings valve job new stems and springs and a good milling of the head (and about 800 dollars total later) the engine is back together. its no fun at all....
Old 03-26-2009, 10:31 AM

well im not really worried about the machine work. i have been playing with cars in my area for a long time i have devloped a large base of friends in this area and some stuff i can get done for free or really cheapily im also involved in huge club thats very active and we allow all cars in from rat rods to tuners and everyhting in between

basically it comes down to do i have somthing they need and they have somthing i need one of my best friends works at one of the best machin shops here and he owes for a truck i gave him so haveing the machine work done isnt a problem i got friends at the diesl place thats rebuilding my turbo the guy with the XR4Ti and turbo coupe is one my racing buddies from back in the day and i got contacts at almost every salvage yard in the area

so basically we have rule in our little circle nothing gets built for list price NOTHING although this is the first tuner car any of them have ever beeen willing to mess with part because its mine part becuase its pretty much a classic colloector car so there down (and all of us that have done muscle cars or hot rods have had our *** handed to us by one of these cars at some point in time) so the z cars get respect in my group friends that and mustang guys around here are getting pretty bad so there all intrested in somthing that will take them down thats not a chevy the fact it is an import makes it all better

so when the unthinkable happens to one of my cars a couple phone calls and few weeks later and its back on the strip usually alot better than before.

i still devloping my friendship at couple tuner places here in town by next year i will be able to get the stand alone installed for nearly nothing as well

i do have to pay for parts but some parts i can get at the salvages for nearly nothing other things like head gaskets and studs and that stuff i have to buy but its not that bad when everyhting else done for cheap

for instance i havent paid for a nitrous system on any of my other cars since i cant rember when the set up going on the sbc in the S-10 was traded for set a BBC heads i had for about two years (i never have had a BBC just picked em up somewhere for free knew they would come in handy)

so alot of this stuff i have locked the only reason i dont do the head now is the wife is tired of every car i get being down for a month right after i bring it home so this one has to run for a little while anyway
Old 03-26-2009, 10:38 AM
Über User

blahblahblahblahblah. lol. i was just saying... might not be so fun blowing the HG and maybe just prep the motor ahead of time. also, i hate mustang guys. hate hate hate! they do stuff so half assed i want to punch their faces off their head.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:11 AM

and unfortunatley they can half *** those cars especially fox bodys and still run fast
Old 03-26-2009, 11:40 AM
Über User

lol, i will agree with that, fox body's i think might be damn near indestructible.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:32 PM

yup and there everywere around here i mean EVERY were and there cocky and they really need to see the tail lights of this rice burner soon LOL
Old 03-26-2009, 01:00 PM

so anyone ever try this before or i am being the self inflected guinea pig here if so i dont mind i will keep you all updated i think i will shoot for 12 or 13 and not push the 15 mark to much for head gasket reasons
Old 03-26-2009, 01:08 PM
The Good Twin

I blew a stock felpro head gasket @ 12psi, and I was still running rich. Now I am running a 2mm MLS head gasket & ARP head studs. I've got a T3/T4 hybrid turbo, EBC, and Z31T ecu / maf. At times I'll run ~14-15psi boost.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:16 PM

hmmm damn it well we will see what happens i guess i better order the studs and gasket and be ready
Old 03-26-2009, 03:57 PM
Über User

you could always ARP stud it while you at it, very simple and no stretch they also torque down tighter. might work good. and nismo... stock and felpro are totally different, felpro in general sucks ***** for HG's but the rest of their gaskets are good. but HG's from them i just dont trust at all... and for good reason, mine blew to lol
Old 03-26-2009, 04:03 PM
The Good Twin

^^^ Yes yes... I meant "stock" as in "not high performance". Indeed it was not the orig head gasket.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:40 AM

ok here i go again well the my z is going to be down a while longer basically i think im heading for the big d anyway she doesnt want any of moy cars (she actually hates them) so instead of the v8 swap on my 4cyl s10 its going on the road and the z is going under knife since i dont have to aprove a damn thing just going to all the way with the z were i want it

so in thinking long and hard about fuel delivery i started reading the Z31T ecu swap sounds simple enough kind of i read thats its only three wires but on hybirdz it looks more like 6 or 7 anyway thats not the issue what i didnt read is the perfomance aspect of this upgrade i understand it makes the car alot more drivable but does it allow for higher boost numbers and will still operate the svo injectors (which are sitting on my shelf for a total cost of nothing and 4 have only 25K miles on them while the other two have only 36 score) anyway or does it just alow for a chip to burned skipping the stand alone step or is just for low boost lower power cars

also i have searched but search and me dont get along very well and this goes to the z31t ecu question as well were can i get cams and will the ecu swap run the cam i already talked to my buddy at t he machine shop and they do alot of old school inline 6 motors so he said it wasnt thing to get the head p&p'd he wanted to know valve size to see if had anyhting lying around that would work not sure i want to go there yet

with soon change in my life i think i just want around 15 to 20 psi and leave it at that for a driver i was going to in a year so go through and bore and everyhting else but right now i think i want a stout daily and soon so i can go ahead with the S10 (the s10 was to be sold for cash after done so i want to do that but not till the d happens cause i dont want her getting the money)

anyway will the Z31T ecu run that or not there is an 84 turbo in a salvage here that is missing the trubo and a few interior parts but ecu is still there so is maf and dizzy i can get the entire car for 300 bucks which i plan on doing for the ecu stuff and to see if i can convert my 280 to 5 lug with its parts the motor has rod sticking out of the block and its auto so none of that is useful to me but for parts and pieces it seems like a good idea
Old 03-27-2009, 10:49 AM

if this a was n/a car i would go V8 all the way but i want to keep the turbo motor

sorry for all the questions im trying to get a plan lined out so in the next few weeks i can just post pics of the progess i like to have everyhting planned to the t and all the parts there when i do somthing so it gets done start to finish

hence all the questions once i get it lined out its all wrenching time after that

also my strong point is metal fabrication so when it gets in the shop i got a couple things planed there also i think you all like, like the ugly *** rear tail lights are going bye bye got somthing special planned there
Old 03-27-2009, 11:53 AM
The Good Twin

The 84-86 Z31T ecu isn't anymore tunable by itself than the 280zxt ecu. But with the MAF instead of AFM you can use a piggyback, SAFC, or VPC. Or you can go w/ the 87-89 Z31T ecu which has a reprogrammable EPROM ( NIStune is a good one: www.nistune.com ).

And if you want to run 15-20psi... you better build that motor to be more than bulletproof.

I've attached my Z31T ecu conversion zip file that I put together.

Last edited by NismoPick; 06-18-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:10 PM

cool well i can do a piggy back but the mega squirt seem way to complicated for me as for 20 psi that is absloute max to be ran at the track or stip when i go not all the time 15 psi i was shooting for as constat

i figure p&ped with metal head gasket and studs and the fuel of course she whould be able to run 15 with out to much determinet the lower end in these seems to be pretty stout and from what ive read and figured up and couple of other cars ive seen the lower end should be alright

20 is pushing it in my figures its actually maxing it out so i wont run that all time just when i need it
Old 03-27-2009, 12:11 PM

of course im no expert but seems logical thats under stock compression or lower havetn determined if yet if i should lower it or not but im thinking it might be a good idea
Old 03-27-2009, 12:24 PM
Über User

stock compression is already pretty low imho i wouldnt lower it any more. i'd actually raise it and try to shoot for something more up to date and common like 8.5:1
Old 03-27-2009, 12:28 PM

intersting that mean lower boost setting but with uped comrepsion it would work out in long run but more stress on the lower end as well hmmm well for now i will get the turbo intercooler injectors i guess go ahead and do the Z31 swap and see how i like it and go from there if its still to slow you will see me on here complaing about and riping the motor apart

why are these things so slow for being turbo cars oh well nothing is good from the factory it all needs some tlc
Old 03-27-2009, 12:40 PM
Über User

cause they are so heavy and only make 200hp at the motor cause they have extremely low compression and run extremely low boost with not intercooler.