280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Same problem differen't local...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 06:50 PM

Same problem differen't local...

Hey, it's been awhile since I've posted on here...I moved to New Mexico.

Problem is that my '83zx n/a ain't right. On startup (cold motor) it sputs, spits black watery goop out the tail pipe (no smell...wierd), smokes like Cheech and Chong for about five minutes (grey smoke) and the RPM's go from about 500 to 1,200. The exhaust smells like it's running really rich and the gas mileage is WAY down. If I try to drive, it doesn't like starting from a dead stop, or the shift to 3rd. This is all driving normally, not gunning the hell out of it, BTW. Also, the motor REALLY hates it when I gun it to about 6K RPM's and let off the throttle. There's a lot of hesitation for a few seconds and then back to normal operation (this happens when warm).

I have done the ECU pull and clean twice in the last three months, so I really don't think that's the main source of the problem. Albuquerque, is 5,000 ft in elevation where Dallas (where I moved from) is at 700 ft. I know there is an adjustment period for cars to go through, but my truck is doing fine and my wife's urban assault vehicle seems ok.

So....O2 sensor? Timing off a little? Anything would help. I'm trying to go to a Z meet in Denver in June.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:38 AM

Anyone? Bleach..you've got me going before, how 'bout this one?
Old 02-22-2005, 10:36 AM
The Evil Twin

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? or borrow one.
I could advice the same old "fuel pressure regulator" thing again, but its hard to say. Also check and clean the connection on your head temp sensor and block temp sensor.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:16 AM

Head Gasket???
Old 02-22-2005, 12:20 PM

Hey duckyz, welcome to ABQ. If you want to compare your '83 NA with my '83 NA, let me know. I'd be happy to come by...Robert
Old 02-22-2005, 08:13 PM

I'll try all of that..except the head gasket. I just replaced that last year.

Thanks for the welcome Red-Eye!!!
Old 02-23-2005, 08:06 AM

Did you drive or transport the Z to ABQ? I ask cause if you towed it something could have come loose in the engine compartment. Check all your lines, and you AFM connection. You may have done this but pull apart your air intake to check for anything clogged. My Mother had a chunck of insulation she picked up jammed in her intake on her motor home. Check you plugs for fowling. I know this all sounds basic, but it might help.
This may sound wierd but you also might want to try towing it to a lower elavation then driving it back. I have always driving my Z,z from one place to the next so i have never had this issue. Imoved from vegas which is maybe 100ft elevation, to Pocatello which is 5800 elevation. The car did fine cause I drove. The Trans Am I had to adjust cause i towed it.

Just some ideas
Old 02-23-2005, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by duckyz
I'll try all of that..except the head gasket. I just replaced that last year.

Thanks for the welcome Red-Eye!!!

Never say never....

Case in point: I just replaced ALL of my injectors last December with brand new ones, and I already have one going south, so my point is this - just because it's new does'nt mean it's good. I hope this isn't your case, though. Hopefuly it's something easy...

Good luck, Bro

Last edited by Carl's Z; 02-23-2005 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:24 AM

High Altitude Switch

From my FSM:
In cars operating at high altitudes where the air is thinner, the mixture ratio varies and exhaust emission increases. In order to decrease exhaust emission, an altitude switch has to be added.
This switch is attached to the stay on the left side if the instrument panel in the driver's compartment. Consisting of a bellows and a microswitch, the switch transmits an ON or OFF signal to the control unit according to change in atmospheric pressure.
duckyz, not sure if my car has one or not, but when we get together, we can check it out.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:44 AM

OK, now in English...
Old 02-23-2005, 06:00 PM

Yeah, I towed it here on the "nice" four wheel car transprots that U-Haul rents. This isn't a new problem, it happens about once a month, but this time it's much worse than it's ever been.

I haven't had time to work on it too much, but I'll give it a shot in the morning since I don't have to be at work 'till 4pm.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:22 PM

Well...I re-set my ECU........AGAIN! Ugh, There's got to be something else wrong under the hood. This is getting stupid. Took it for a nice high speed run for about an hour on I-40 through the canyon out of town. I forgot what kind of legs that car has!!! WHEEEEEeeeeeee..........!