280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Start Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 05:16 PM

Start Problems

i have a one of a kind 1979 280zx 128k was running fine, shut off the car for short time,went to start zx and it turned over but would not start.towed the zx home and the next day it started right up....
Old 04-13-2005, 05:38 PM

my starter was doing that to me, i replaced it and have been fine since.
once my starter heated up it would lock up, i would have to wait hours to start back up or i beat it with a hammer. i first tried replaceing just the selonoid but it didn't change anything. new starter = a happier me.

sounds like you got the same thing
Old 04-13-2005, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by tekanitrus
my starter was doing that to me, i replaced it and have been fine since.
once my starter heated up it would lock up, i would have to wait hours to start back up or i beat it with a hammer. i first tried replaceing just the selonoid but it didn't change anything. new starter = a happier me.

sounds like you got the same thing
yeah my starter did that and would work after i cooled down..and then for like 3 months it started really fast every time and then it ate it...so i guess its a sign its on its last leg
Old 04-13-2005, 11:06 PM
Super Siver & Black Stud

cant be the starter... he said that "it turned over but didnt start" if it were the starter it wouldnt even turn over... my guess is the ignition modual.. or a bad connection on his AFM clip..
Old 04-14-2005, 05:56 PM

Yes thats what i was thinking icece9, i'll go junk'n this week end to see if i can get a ignition modual. i will check the connections carefully.Anybody have a extra one for a 1979 datsun 280zx non turbo?
Old 04-15-2005, 12:13 PM

Your problem sounds like my nephews problem. Except that it turns off while running and wont turn back on. But the starter does work.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:45 PM

We've were flooded twice last week, the water in the driveway came up past the top lugs on my car and through the holes in the floorboard. . haha, but, the next day i'd go outside start her up and clear some of the water out of the muffler and she'd be fine but, then a few days later i was at a local concert and went to start it up but, all i got was this hum. . .ended up having to push start it and it did that same thing for a couple of days but, now it's fine so i guess all it was was water. what worries me is what you said about it starting up really good before it goes out because it's been doing that for awhile

this is completely off subject but, kinda interesting,

my friend with a 79 2+2 came over one day and told me this story he said "well a few weeks ago i started getting this problem when i took any right turn carrying any kind of speed, what would happen is in the middle of the turn the car would shutdown but, as soon as i got through the turn it'd start back up. It started getting worse and worse until one day it shutdown and remained that way" he then told me the problem, the battery wasn't mounted down properly so whenever he took a turn it lifted up and shorted out on the hood and they day that it completely shutdown the wires had melted out completely because of the short, im talking 12-10gauge wire were melted in half i couldn't believe it but, anyway back on subject. . . . . . .