280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stroker Kits

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 04:49 PM

Stroker Kits

I was wondering what ya'lls impression of the stroker kits for the l28 are? Obviously they are selling, otherwise they would have been discontinued, but what did you think of it? Dyno differences, effects on redline, etc. I need to rebuild my engine and was thinking about dropping that in there at the same time. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:51 AM
The Evil Twin

My impression is that they are a waste of money and time. The top end power is hardly increased at all but the low and midrange torque is increased a noticable amount. You will still have to do a lot of other engine work to take advantage of the extra displacement. People who build strokers are usually trying to build a fast engine normally aspirated; they refuse to go turbo. Dollar for dollar, the turbo will outdo a stroker in both torque and horsepower. Unless you put a LOT of money into the stroker, you could probably get simular results in just working with the L28 setup and factory crank.

As far as redline, if you have the bottom end of an L28 or L31 stroker balanced they'll both revv to 7,000 rpm. As far as using the crank in its stock form, i don't know how that effects the upper rpm range.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:11 PM

The reciprocating momentum of the larger piston and the longer stroke will most definately put a harder stress on the motor, but it's negligible. The stock block and crank is more than beefed up enough to handle the extra force. A word of caution is that you need to get all 6 pistons and the crank spin-balanced, regardless if the manufacturer says they already are. Inline 6s need to have perfect balance between all 6 cylinders or you are just begging for a rod to come shooting out the block.

In contrast to the previous post, I am willfully against a tubocharger. I recognize their bebefit but I can't come to grips with the fact that there will always be a lag time between stepping on the gas and moving. I just can't accept that. A stroker may not be the best buildup for this motor, but it is definitely a step in the right direction.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:58 PM

Anybody ever thought about a turbo/stroker engine. As long as everything was forged I personally think it would work perfectly fine. Then for the turbo lag problem just use a small shot off nitrous like 35 shot maybe? It more than likely would be expensive but would be a kick but engine. Would it not?
Old 03-30-2004, 08:09 PM
Z Extreme Guy

Originally Posted by FastZ
Anybody ever thought about a turbo/stroker engine. As long as everything was forged I personally think it would work perfectly fine. Then for the turbo lag problem just use a small shot off nitrous like 35 shot maybe? It more than likely would be expensive but would be a kick but engine. Would it not?
yes it is a kikbutt set up and when done porperly you dont have to use nos there is a cheper and more eficent way to do it. it is caleed desial and propane. lots of pepole that have big diesal trukes like a 250 ford power strok or biger use this mix to spoil up there turdos faster.desials have such a big turbo that lag is anourmus. a freind of mine did a lareg turbo up grade on his vr4 and this mix helped him out a grate deal. if this is an ida you think will work do it and dont let any one discureg youturbo stroker gofor it.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:34 PM

I can´t understand why turbo lag is a problem? Left-foot breaking is free, so it won´t cost you a dime to get rid of it.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by dr. buddha
yes it is a kikbutt set up and when done porperly you dont have to use nos there is a cheper and more eficent way to do it. it is caleed desial and propane. lots of pepole that have big diesal trukes like a 250 ford power strok or biger use this mix to spoil up there turdos faster.desials have such a big turbo that lag is anourmus. a freind of mine did a lareg turbo up grade on his vr4 and this mix helped him out a grate deal. if this is an ida you think will work do it and dont let any one discureg youturbo stroker gofor it.
I heard that the whole propane thing would only work on a diesel. Therefore you would be require to use nitrous or something that would mix and combust fully with the gasoline. That is just what I heard, not completely sure. Does anyone know where to get a forged stroker kit, not a junkyard stroker?
Old 03-31-2004, 08:04 PM
Z Extreme Guy

Originally Posted by Fredrik
I can´t understand why turbo lag is a problem? Left-foot breaking is free, so it won´t cost you a dime to get rid of it.
lol
Old 04-24-2004, 09:41 AM

The only reason that n2o leans out is because it is an oxidizer, so to solve the problem you simply spray more gas in with the nitious, which most of the new systems do. Also how would you go about injecting the proper amount of propane?