280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 09:56 PM

Turbo Muffler

Pretty soon it will be time for me to have the rest of my exhaust made, Right now I have a 2.5inch down pipe welded up to the stock exhaust(I had to get it inspected and most places don't like it when you modify your car). I finally found someone who will make me a 3 inch exhaust. Now my problem is what to get for a muffler.

I kind of wanted your opinion on what you guys thought was pushing it as far as being ricey. The first one I was looking at was a Megan Racing Turbo muffler
http://www.meganracing.com/products/....asp?prodid=63
The second One I was looking at was APEXi N1 Turbo. I know APEXi is a trusted company.
http://www.apexi-usa.com/product_exh...=241&pageNum=1
I kind of like the Megan racing one only becasue the outlet is 1/2 inch smaller. If anyone has any suggestions on a good muffler for a turbocharged car I would apreciate it. Thanks
Rob
Old 12-02-2005, 10:25 PM

IMO opinion Megan is kind of a half *** company with half *** products. Even the teams they sponser admit to that. But they pay the bills so they keep using them. APEXi makes good products, and their exhausts are no exception. So if your choice is between those two then I'd go with the latter. In my opinion the only better exhaust you'll find then an APEXi is a Tanabe. But hey, that's IMO

Of course if you're really afraid of being ricey you could always go Borla
Old 12-02-2005, 10:33 PM

Heres a link you should check out: http://www.tanabe-usa.com/exhausts/
Old 12-02-2005, 11:15 PM

I just got a Borla ProXS muffler myself (under $100). I haven't installed it yet since I'm waiting for my Magnaflow cat to arrive, but I'll let ya'll know how I like it or not when it's put in.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:23 PM

A good friend of mine has a pair of Megan Racing turbo mufflers on his '87 Rx7, and they sound and hold up great, even with the rotary's extreme exhaust temps. They are somewhat shoddy quality, but there are a few good ones out there.

I'd do what J said ... either Apex'i [which I love, very much! Had an Apex'i N1 can on my '79 Rx7] or Tanabe, two companies I've bought from, and would do again in a heartbeat!
Old 12-03-2005, 07:20 AM

I had been looking at tanabe earlier but for some reason I couldn't find what I was looking for. Well I looked again and I found a muffler with a 3in inlet and 4in outlet, looks great too. It is exactly the look I was looking for, there are two choices the hyper and the racing and the Hyper looks way cooler-

http://www.tanabe-usa.com/exhausts/tunermedalion.asp

Thanks for the help. Now I am just worried about how it will sound. I don't really want it to sound ricey but then I have never heard an L6 that has that ricer sound.
Thanks
Rob
Old 12-03-2005, 08:01 AM

My last roommate had a LT1/T56 10AE FC with a Y piped 3.5'' Apex N1 GT spec. It demanded respect. I would reccomend Apex
Old 12-03-2005, 10:38 AM

Tanabe exhausts have NO resonance whatsoever, so you don't get that "Farting through a kazoo" sound a lot of rice burner Civics have [I hope yours doesn't sound like that lww ]. I absolutely LOVE the look of the Hyper Medallion exhaust - nothing says understated goodness, like an oval can with a hot azz tip.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:00 AM

I don't think the L28 can sound ricey I've run it with a couple of cheap mufflers and while it was pretty loud it didn't sound ricey at all. Now I've got a resonator tip and no muffler on there and it's still pretty loud (which is quite annoying) but nearly as loud as the cheaper mufflers I tried. I've run it straight through as well. All in all I never got the sensation that my car sounded ricey. It sounded like a beast with every combo but the stock muffler, which was just quite. What ever you end up getting just make sure its a good quality stainless steel or you'll be replacing it at the end of winter All the mufflers mentioned so far fit that bill.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:02 AM

Oh and if noise is ever an issue most of these manufacturers also offer silencers to stick in the muffler too. Most have tested these silencers with a very neglible loss in power. On most stock vehicle the silencer probably wouldn't even make a difference in power output.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:46 AM
Doesn't post much...

I'd have to say that J is right. I don't think this car can sound ricey. I tried a bunch of different stuff, but I settled on a lame *** Ravin Muffler because it sounded the best and felt like it had the best balance. Now, it's a POS compared to the higher end stuff, but I've had it for almost three years and it's still like new. Everybody say's it sounds more like a Ferrarri than anything. That's the beauty of the straight 6, I think they have the best balance between V8 growl and l4 high RPM scream. They just sound throaty and mean. I could have spent a lot more on the muffler than I did, but I wouldn't have gotten the sound I wanted. Of course, I spent a crap load on the custom header and 2.5 collector back set up with high flow 3-way cat. The muffler was just a drop in the bucket. I'm sure it wouldn't sound nearly as cool without the rest of the exhaust mods.

Rod.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:18 PM

Not to mention those dual DTM upturn tips look badass.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:52 PM

Open Diff drifting = Cookies. Is that a cookie monster D?
Old 12-03-2005, 03:29 PM

Cookies? I dunno about that ...

But, for being a one-wheel-wonder, she does alright, sideways. Lots of clutch and e-brake work though. I think being able to apply drift techniques on an open-diff car is a lot more rewarding.

I'm actually looking at buying a 1-way clutch-type LSD from my neighbor, so I can at least leave two stripes off the line. Should be fun.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:30 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Dorifto
I'm actually looking at buying a 1-way clutch-type LSD from my neighbor, so I can at least leave two stripes off the line. Should be fun.
once you go LSD... you'll never go back! Many fun times in my Z since! And many fun times in my BMW too! It's deffinately a better & more controlled feeling than open diffs
Old 12-03-2005, 05:43 PM

I dunno ... I thought about Lincoln-Locking my Z's diff. Hell, I'll have two extra R200s laying around, if I decide to do that.

Really, I won't. Trust me.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:08 PM

I thin after my suspension an LSD is next on my lost along with a good EMS. Precision gear (sames as NISMO's) has one ready to bolt up for like $400.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
Oh and if noise is ever an issue most of these manufacturers also offer silencers to stick in the muffler too. Most have tested these silencers with a very neglible loss in power. On most stock vehicle the silencer probably wouldn't even make a difference in power output.
When I had a Tanabe Racing Medallion on my '98 Prelude, I dynoed it both with the silencer in and the silencer out. There was indeed a noticeable power loss with the silencer in.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:37 AM
Big Poppa

I Looked At Taking Apart The Diff, Looks Pressed Together So I Changed The Oil And Put The Cover Back On
Old 12-04-2005, 05:10 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by SHADY280
I Looked At Taking Apart The Diff, Looks Pressed Together So I Changed The Oil And Put The Cover Back On

they're usually bolted together, or screwed together:

Old 12-04-2005, 05:11 PM
The Good Twin

I dunno ... I thought about Lincoln-Locking my Z's diff. Hell, I'll have two extra R200s laying around, if I decide to do that.
Just weld that sucker up! I plan on doing that to at least one R200 someday.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:33 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Tanabe exhausts have NO resonance whatsoever, so you don't get that "Farting through a kazoo" sound a lot of rice burner Civics have [I hope yours doesn't sound like that lww ]
Oh it does . . . .he brought that garbage out today to the hooter's meet.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:42 PM
Big Poppa

Wierd How This Went From Mufflers To Diffs, Guess They Are All Car Parts!!!
Old 12-04-2005, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Heat Rave R
When I had a Tanabe Racing Medallion on my '98 Prelude, I dynoed it both with the silencer in and the silencer out. There was indeed a noticeable power loss with the silencer in.
I'm reffering to just driving around town. You don't need the few extra horsepower to get to the grocery store that a silencer might take away. When you're out cruising or looking to put the pedal down then take the silencer out. But on everyday or long commutes a loud exhaust note can get irritating and even tiring and a silencer isn't going to take away enough power to make the drive miserable.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
When you're out cruising or looking to put the pedal down then take the silencer out.
That's the real trick of it though. You can't take it out without having to pull over, wait for it to cool enough, and then use tools to remove it. The times you want the extra power on demand is often on a whim, like when some foo' pulls up next to you trying to instigate, or when you want the extra push to pass or get up to speed on the freeway. It's true, most of the time, just driving around, you can just leave the silencer in so as not to be annoying or harassed by cops. But then, what's the point of driving around with a restriction in your exhaust 95+% of the time?

I'm just saying that, personally, I'd rather drive around in a car that's at 200hp 100% instead of one that's 190hp 95% of the time and 210hp the other 5% (and that's at the cost of noise and not being adjustable on demand) that I'm driving it.

Last edited by Heat Rave R; 12-05-2005 at 04:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Turbo Muffler