280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo/NA engine swap - San Diego

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 10:56 AM
Super Siver & Black Stud

CaseyZX

theres been a lot of write ups on www.hybridz.org on this subject.. theres a lot you can do to get the amount of HP your looking for out of your engine.. but as far as being "Legal" any upgrade or modification you do to your engine is gonna have to get by the smog ***** in cali.. best thing to do is to locate your local smog refree and ask what you need to do to upgrade your n/a to a turbo.. it should be okay as long as you keep all smog devices on the turbo engine and as long as the turbo engine is from a later ZX model. as far as your intercooler... i dont think youll pass the visual inspection.. your gonna have to find a way to get around the smog problem when regestering your car... ill be doing the same swap as you by years end and im still trying to figure out how im gonna get around that same problem.. i might just use my friends n/a to use for smog...
Old 07-22-2003, 09:22 PM
Super Siver & Black Stud

a good way around it is to know someone who does smog.. find another 280ZX same year as your but with all stock engine... and bribe your smog guy to use the other Z when you smog your car... lol hahahahaha i know,..... ive thought about it too...
Old 07-24-2003, 05:46 AM
Externally Wastegated

If you want a smog legal I/C, buy an HKS one, they're all 50 state legal, just that they cost an arm and a leg. HKS's EVC boost controller is also 50 state along with their fuel controller. They're the only ones with 50 state certs. Just be prepared to spend a nice sum of money, but at least you won't have to have the headaches that the rest of the motor swapped people will have come smog time. The intake is easy to put back to stock and a catback muffler will not be illegal so don't worry unless you change out the downpipe and catalytic converter. Keep the stockers to pass smog.
John 82ZXT
Old 07-24-2003, 05:58 PM
Externally Wastegated

McKinney Motorsports? Yeah, I've talked to him quite a bit in the past. I'm supposed to have him do my i/c piping whenever I get back to the States. I've seen some of his work and it's pretty good. My friend Jamie had him swap in a KA24 into a 510. Did he show you his 240SX with the RB25DET in it? That car is awesome. The HKS I/C, the cheapest I've seen it listed is at www.optauto.com, it's about 1200 bucks plus shipping.

I don't know about the turbo, but the weird thing was, was when I went in for smog the guy that checked it didn't really give my car a real good look. He just said nice car, and got the readings and looked to see if I had my smog equipment under the hood. I think a T3/T4 might pass if they aren't attentive, but it's best to ask a smog ref, don't ask DMV, they're no help at all. I think a performance CAT will be okay, most of them are 50 state cert. The smog guy didn't even get on his hands and knees to check to see what kind I was running. Just so long as my readings were clean. Anyway, I've noticed most smog shops are slightly less strict with our cars then they are with the newer sport compacts. I got grilled when I went in with my friend who got his 240SX smogged.