280ZX Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo rebuild or upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 11:24 PM

Turbo rebuild or upgrade?

So I pulled apart the rubber boots to the intake and discharge side of the compressor while installing an intercooler. When I pulled the boots off I found a good sized puddle of oil on both sides of the compressor and to top it off the compressor wheel has a good amount of side to side play in it. Note the car was running and spooling well before I discovered all of this.

My questions are:

1.can the stock turbo be rebuilt or is my best bet to upgrade the turbo to a T3/T4 hybrid?

2.If an upgrade is necessary, is the stock turbine housing reused and with new wheels, bearings, full compressor side, etc. used?

3. If a full turbo is needed is there one that will bolt directly to the stock manifold + downpipe with no modification?

I want to stick with an internal wastegate and oil cooled because I want to keep the whole system simple.

Thanks for all the help and sorry I couldnt find all this information by searching
Old 09-21-2013, 06:17 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Originally Posted by WanganDevilZ
Your best bet is to upgrade to a T3/T4 hybrid
Old 09-22-2013, 12:09 AM

I did a bit more research and I found that running a T3/T4 hybrid would require machining the compressor housing on my stock turbo and I dont have access to a machine shop that could do this.

I did find a deal on a hx35 and the only problem I found with this is the internal wastgates are set to ~21psi and that is too much right now. I dont want to go to an external wastegate right now for the sake of simplicity so is there a way to turn down the boost on the stock internal wastgate of the hx35?

My goals are about 15psi next spring but 10psi for now is enough
Old 09-22-2013, 11:55 AM

I did a bit more research and I found that doing a T3/T4 hybrid would require machining of the stock compressor housing, and I dont have any access to a machine shop. I do have access to a Hx35 turbo off a cummins though.

My question with this is there any way I could use the hx35 internal wastegate and turn down the boost to say 10psi?

I know the external wastgate route is the best but I am concerned with fitment issues due to adding the appropriate wastegate/T3 flange on the exhaust manifold. Would I be able to clear the intake manifold and the steering shaft with that spacer in there and will the wastegate be able to clear all this as well?
Old 09-22-2013, 06:47 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Spike243
1.can the stock turbo be rebuilt or is my best bet to upgrade the turbo to a T3/T4 hybrid?
Yes. Most any turbo / diesel shop can rebuild and upgrade it for you. A normal rebuild is ~$350, upgrading to T3/T4 is ~$150 (I know because I did this).

2.If an upgrade is necessary, is the stock turbine housing reused and with new wheels, bearings, full compressor side, etc. used?
They use the same core, but everything on the compressor side is replaced.

3. If a full turbo is needed is there one that will bolt directly to the stock manifold + downpipe with no modification?
A Garrett T4 compressor housing will fit, but it's close to the pcv valve, so a thinner coupler is needed.

I did a bit more research and I found that doing a T3/T4 hybrid would require machining of the stock compressor housing,
I don't know where you researched, but there is no machine work. You replace the T3 compressor wheel and housing with a T4 (thus the reason it's called "T3/T4 hybrid").

My question with this is there any way I could use the hx35 internal wastegate and turn down the boost to say 10psi?
Boost pressure is dependent on the efficiency of your intercooler setup, and A/F ratio (stock 259cc injectors max out at about 12-14psi).

I know the external wastgate route is the best but I am concerned with fitment issues due to adding the appropriate wastegate/T3 flange on the exhaust manifold. Would I be able to clear the intake manifold and the steering shaft with that spacer in there and will the wastegate be able to clear all this as well?
You can cut a hole in the exhaust manifold and weld in a port for an external wastegate. Just make sure the weld is done properly for cast iron.

Check out FricFrac's turbo build:
https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx...t-33149/page3/

My T3/T4:

Old 09-23-2013, 12:58 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Originally Posted by NismoPick (He really said this)
Blah Blah Blah I'm Smart.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Yes. Most any turbo / diesel shop can rebuild and upgrade it for you. A normal rebuild is ~$350, upgrading to T3/T4 is ~$150 (I know because I did this).

A Garrett T4 compressor housing will fit, but it's close to the pcv valve, so a thinner coupler is needed.

Boost pressure is dependent on the efficiency of your intercooler setup, and A/F ratio (stock 259cc injectors max out at about 12-14psi).
What I mean by this is the hx35 comes stock with an internal wastegate and it is set to ~21psi and I was wondering of any way to turn this down short of an external wastegate.

Another problem I am having is there is extremely limited access to machine shops or any sort of performance shop near me. So having a shop do the T3/T4 hybrid is tough as would doing the external wastegate welded into the manifold. I don't have access to a welder either as I am at college right now and home is ~4 hours from home.

Would one of those bolt on T3/wastegate flanges provide enough clearance to mount a T3/T4 hybrid or the Hx35?

I have a grasp of all the intake side of the piping and mounting its just getting the turbo bolted to the manifold with enough clearance that has me stuck.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:11 PM
The Good Twin

What I mean by this is the hx35 comes stock with an internal wastegate and it is set to ~21psi and I was wondering of any way to turn this down short of an external wastegate.
From a quick Google search, it sounds like the waste gate actuator arm is adjustable (threaded). You'll just need to adjust it to your desired level.

Another problem I am having is there is extremely limited access to machine shops or any sort of performance shop near me. So having a shop do the T3/T4 hybrid is tough as would doing the external wastegate welded into the manifold. I don't have access to a welder either as I am at college right now and home is ~4 hours from home.
What's your location? Most every major city / capital will have a diesel shop... at least they'd know where to get the turbo rebuilt. Here in Utah the place I go to is called HTT (High Tech Turbo). Turn around time is 1day.

Would one of those bolt on T3/wastegate flanges provide enough clearance to mount a T3/T4 hybrid or the Hx35?
Probably not the Hx35...
Old 10-06-2013, 09:44 PM

Turbo seal type? Thrust bearing quesion

Ok, so I decided it was time to rebuild and upgrade the turbo so I ordered a rebuild kit from gpop shop. It was the complete t3 kit with the one piece carbon seal and I opted for the 360degree thrust bearing upgrade as well. In the midst of this I decided to upgrade to a TO4e housing and wheel.

My first question is what kind of seal does the stock turbo use? I pulled the turbo apart and I believe that the stock turbo uses a dynamic seal as opposed to the carbon seal that gpop shop states (there was no carbon seal that I pulled out but there is the 270degree thrust bearing with the thrust collar that I assume is also the dynamic seal with the piston ring on it?) . Because of this I dont think I can rebuild with this kit.

My second question is that I opted for the 360degree thrust bearing and I want to know how this is supposed to fit together with the carbon seal? The instructions on the site do not show how a 360degree thrust bearing is assembled with a 1piece carbon seal?

So to sum this up does anyone have detailed instructions how to rebuild with the kit I have?

I assume the kit will work with my TO4e compressor housing and backing plate.